Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E-500 Info

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re:E-500 Info

I don\'t think it\'s new camera lust...I think it has more to do with current technology not being good enough.

I used my fully manual film camera for 20 years and it worked beautifully; I didn\'t need any of that Program or Aperture mode nonsense.

Three years ago I bought a C-700, because it was the first (affordable) camera I could replace my film camera with.

So why did I buy the E-300 a month ago? The C-700 just couldn\'t compete with today\'s cameras.

I intend to keep using the E-300 for at least five years...but who knows what is around the corner then; but for me it will be falling behind the technology, not just buying the latest for the sake of it that would make me want to buy another camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

At this point I am not sure what technology would entice me to upgrade, as my E-300 is only 4 months old. I have made 20x30 prints from 8 MP and they look fantastic. Yes, if I had to name a couple of things for improvement they would be less higher ISO noise and faster AF. Unless these were both present and of a huge improvement I would have to say that I would not be interested right now. Given 1½-2 years of incremental improvements the total of those would certainly have an interest. There is no doubt that manufacturers need to keep coming out with new cameras, but once a year to once every two years should be enough. We, as photographers, need to realize that the manufacturers may rehash their offering with handgrip change, different location of dials/buttons/etc. and offer it as a new model. We need to keep in mind that each manufacturer is on a different schedule and if one releases a camera in September with a great new feature that the manufacturer of our line may not be releasing a new model until February or May (unlike the when the auto manufacturers all used to release new models in the fall). We should not be angry if we have a particular brand and another manufacturer releases a model with non-flash focus assist light, or another releases one that has a full frame sensor, another an integrated IS, or another has an auto sensor cleaner. It has been happening and will continue to happen.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

mikefellh wrote:
    I don\'t think it\'s new camera lust...I think it has more to do with current technology not being good enough. ...
    I don\'t agree with the first part of this statement—I think there is a fair amount of lust. However, the second part of the statement hits the nail on the head. Digital photography is still very new and we\'re still in the steep development curve. I think things will slow down in the future but not for a while.

When I purchased my E-1 over a year ago, I did so knowing that it was not the camera that I really wanted. So why did I buy it? Primarily for the 4/3rds standard and the great Zuiko Digital (ZD) lenses coming out of Olympus. I had the chance to start fresh and I could pick any lens system that I wanted and the lens system is what I based my decision on.

If you\'re a pro or a devoted prosumer, you will probably spend much more on lenses than you will on bodies. We\'ve all heard this before but it bears repeating. So far, I\'ve spend 3.5 times more on my four ZD lenses than I have on my E-1 body.

I\'m hoping that either the E-1 replacement or Panasonic\'s new 4/3rds body will be the camera I want to keep for several years.

What am I looking for in a 4/3rds camera body? First, I like a lot about the E-1. I wouldn\'t change its ergonomics except for a bigger LCD monitor. But I want lower noise at high ISO (I shoot a lot of candids in low light), higher resolution (for those times when I have to crop a lot or those times when I shoot large groups), and faster read/write to the CF card. Plus, I would be very happy with in-camera IS.

At the time that I purchased my E-1 I didn\'t realize how big of a problem dust would be. I\'m delighted now to have the ultrasonic dust removal system. And I love the water/dust resistant design of the E-1 and many ZD lenses.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

mikefellh wrote:
    I don\'t think it\'s new camera lust...I think it has more to do with current technology not being good enough. ...
    First Light wrote:
    I don\'t agree with the first part of this statement—I think there is a fair amount of lust.
    Maybe it\'s just me then...had our last car for 15 years, and only had 50.000km (31,000 miles) on it. So I guess I\'m not one for new car lust either.

Mike

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Like it was said earlier. The digital age is a different animal from film. You have the same lower end range of ever increasing features and price ranges, but at the \"prosumer\" and \"pro\" range, things get a little trickier. It seems to me, in the \"old days\" the higher end 35mm cameras had high quality but the lenses had to have even higher quality. Now, the limits are continually pushed on both the lens and camera (and actually it may be the opposite, lenses can be had at high quality levels and the camera and electronics trying to get better and better). My OM1 could take as good of a photo as a OM4, just the feature set was different. Now with higher MP sensors, noise reduction, abilities at higher ISO levels, the envelopes get pushed a little higher each year. I guess as I see each new camera come out, I look for it to fix the flaws of its predecessor. I use a E-300 and I consider it to be a great camera for the money. Not a perfect camera but very good one. I guess I am looking for Olympus\' next level camera that does not cost me as much as a used car. I will be very interested in seeing the planned E-3 and its features and price range. Keep \'em coming Olympus.

Post edited by: borgunit, at: 2005/09/16 08:27

Post edited by: borgunit, at: 2005/09/16 08:28

E-30
    14-54/2.8-3.5
    14-42/3.5-5.6
    40-150/4.0-5.6
    OM2n
    FL-36
    Various Zuiko Lenses

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Maybe there will be a \"leak\" on the E-3 like there was on the E-500. Of course it would be more likely to happen in January.

The question is what happens when Oly does annouce/leak the E-3 info and there are some features missing that people have been hoping to see (some sort of stabilization is the first that comes to mind). You may truly not need that feature, just that another manufacturer has it on one of their competing models. Hopefully people will look at the camera and its features as a whole and try it out before being too critical of it. And I hope they will take reviews as a guide and not as gospel, until they have handled the camera themselves.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Kansas Ron wrote:
    ...Hopefully people will look at the camera and its features as a whole and try it out before being too critical of it. And I hope they will take reviews as a guide and not as gospel, until they have handled the camera themselves.
    Agreed.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Aggree with you Ron as well - my E1 is so wonderfull that I would not sell it. But a nice light built camera for the mountain hike with 1 or 2 lenses only, without the heavy FL50
    So I\'m only looking for a second body beside the paid jobs and for the \"fine weather\" - for the tough the E1 is perfect...
    happy shooting anyway,
    Jan
    E-1, E-5, E-M1, 2.8/7-14mmPro, 2.8/12-40mmPro, 2.8/40-150mmPro, MC14, ED lenses: 4.0/7-14mm, 2.8/14-54mm,2.8-4.0/12-60mm, 2.0/35-100mm, 4.0/40-150mm, 2.8-3.5/50-200mm, 2.0/50mm, EC-14, FL-50, FL-36R, some other OM Zuiko manual lenses
    www.flickr.com/photos/jan-krux