Thread: does E1 work similar to E300?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default does E1 work similar to E300?

The E300 is pretty basic ( prosumer like). It really bugs me that you can\'t have dof preview and manual focus at the same time (don\'t count saf+m). I realize we are stuck with focus by wire ( not my favorite by a long shot). Does the E1 work similar or does it have more \"pro capabilities\"? I am not talking wireless flash or faster focusing and more fps. More like features that you expected in a good film body 10-15 years ago.
    thanks
    barondla :cheer:

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re:does E1 work similar to E300?

barondla wrote:
    The E300 is pretty basic ( prosumer like). It really bugs me that you can\'t have dof preview and manual focus at the same time (don\'t count saf+m).
    HUH? Sure you can have DOF preview on and manually focus (using MF mode). I just tried it.

Unless you mean that there\'s no focus indication when you have the DOF preview engaged.

Mike

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I did not phrase it correctly. Yes you can have manual focus and dof preview at the same time. What I meant to say was you can\'t rapidly switch from af to mf and have quick dof preview. If you are using the camera for sports or something and it doesn\'t af you need to be able to switch to man focus. This has to be the slowest camera in the world to switch unless you set up the OK button to do it fast. If you set the OK button to do this fast then you can\'t have dof without going thru the customization menu and change it. Since the focus motor is in the lens it seems there should be a switch for manual or af on the lenses. Does the E1 allow faster change from af to mf without giving up dof preview?
    thanks
    barondla

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Why don\'t you go to the Olympus website and download the E-1 Reference Manual. Then you will see that E-1 has a dedicated switch for selecting the focus mode. You can change instantly. There is no delay. As for the AF+MF mode, I don\'t know why you took exception to it. It works great. If you don\'t get a focus lock then simply spin the focus ring while the sutter button is still half pressed. Frankly, I like the fly-by-wire focusing. It has advantages that aren\'t available in a mechanical focus system plus Olympus\' system is very fast and very subtle.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...