Thread: My explanation for moving on

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default My explanation for moving on

You guys are the best and I will miss you all and my great E1 gear.

So why, well it\'s a combination of a few things. I am evaluating where I want to go with my photography and that has led me to question everything. Also it has coincided with being exposed to the Nikon D2x up-close.

If I stay Oly, I will need an E3 (£2000+) and not for at least 5 or 6 months. I will need to find a way of reaching 600mm in focal length and that will be expensive whether I go 300 f2.8 or the new 90-250 (with EC14). That will mean spending at least £4 or probably £5k and I am not willing to do that. The big issue for me is the cost of the top lenses and Sigma are not playing ball to help.

So I feel bad and will keep intouch and anyone who is interested in any of my gear let me know. It\'s listed in the Forsale section.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re:My explanation for moving on

Hate to see you go but I understand when equipment doesn\'t do what you need. I am a little unclear on the lens part. A high speed 600mm Nikon will also cost a lot. Unless you are wanting a slower 600 that Olympus doesn\'t offer. You could buy an OM 600mm for very little money ( if you can find one) or even a Nikon 600 with adapter. Actually your OM 300 fov would be 600 on the E1. Do you just not like using OM lenses on E1? I hope you find equipment that works for you. The main thing is keep on taking pictures.
    thanks
    barondla

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If you have to have the 300 F2.8, then I guess you have to do what you have to do (if that makes sense). But on Nikon that will only get you to 450mm or to 600mm at 6.8 pixels on the D2x.

I understand. I have been using the E-system for more than a year now, but still have a D2H and the 300 F2.8.

I have to say though I could not make that decision until I see what the E-3 will be. I just can\'t help but believe it\'s going to be something special. If the E-3 turns out to be what I hope it is I will purchase the three new zooms, the fisheye and will have all I need. Heck, I think getting out to 500mm at F2.8 is going to be great considering I never could have done that before. With the extender it would be something like a 900mm F4.

Anyway, that\'s just my thoughts. Everyone needs to make a choice that works for them. Good luck and I hope it makes a lot of money for you.

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Steve wrote:
    I think getting out to 500mm at F2.8 is going to be great considering I never could have done that before. With the extender it would be something like a 900mm F4.
    Steve, In 35mm you are right the 250mm will be like 500mm.
    However with the 1.4 teleconverter it is: 350 = 700mm. That is long. VERY long.

However, I would think that the lens will cost between $4500-5500.
    Another lens that we can\'t afford.
    Just my speculation.
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ian

I\'m not questioning your decision or attempting to dissuade you, but I am curious as to whether you’ve done the sums.

Unless you already have Nikon lenses, you’re going to be marching up a very steep purchasing curve. Getting 600mm equivalence in the Nikkor range will mean buying a 400mm f2.8 and this is more expensive than the 300mm Olympus.

And I’d be surprised if the E1 replacement will be as expensive as the D2X, it won’t be cheap, but my guess it’ll be a fair amount less than the D2X. Then you need to consider all the other lenses you’ll need to make up your kit and you won’t find lenses like you now have and can get from Olympus.

I guess I’m curious is all.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

OzRay wrote:
    Ian

I\'m not questioning your decision or attempting to dissuade you, but I am curious as to whether you’ve done the sums.

Unless you already have Nikon lenses, you’re going to be marching up a very steep purchasing curve. Getting 600mm equivalence in the Nikkor range will mean buying a 400mm f2.8 and this is more expensive than the 300mm Olympus.

And I’d be surprised if the E1 replacement will be as expensive as the D2X, it won’t be cheap, but my guess it’ll be a fair amount less than the D2X. Then you need to consider all the other lenses you’ll need to make up your kit and you won’t find lenses like you now have and can get from Olympus.

I guess I’m curious is all.

Cheers

Ray
    D2x, 17-55, 70-200 & flash is £5000 which will be covered by my E gear.

To stay with Oly will be new body (say £2000, f2 zooms - say £3000 and another £3000 for the 90-250. At least £6k, maybe £8k.

With Nikon I can use Sigma or Nikon lenses and they have a 300 f4 with x2 crop which is 600mm for £650. I can get everything I need for less than £3k more so a saving of at least £3 or £4k. My work is changing and I am relying a bit more on photog income so it just seemed that now was the right time to jump. It\'s a catch 22, 5mp is ok with no cropping but no 300mm option means cropping so 5 is not enough. I wish I could afford to keep the E1 going.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ian wrote:
    Also it has coincided with being exposed to the Nikon D2x up-close.
    funny.. I came from nikon, have used the d2x a number of times, and decided to go the olympus route :-)

but I don\'t have the need for fast long lenses (with VR) as you do. Well, the d2x is a beast, with some problems as well (only _really good_ optics work well on this thing), and the colours are nothing like olympus. But handling wise, it won\'t be a big shock, oly and nikon seem to have about the same philosophy..

anyway, I wasn\'t able to convince my wife purchasing some of your for sale stuff, I wish you all the best and hope you will hop in once in a while.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well, I suppose you\'ve committed yourself now, so comparing costs is a moot point. Hope all goes well with the new gear and your photography.

Just don\'t go getting gear envy when the E3 comes out.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I\'ve replied in the \'for sale\' section, but good luck...

£4k for the 300mm - what about going for a short break to NY or Alrington? would that not bring the cost down? (todays exchange rate - $5500/£3300)

The D2x is one mightly camera - enjoy!

Richard

Thanks
    Feedback Score

OzRay wrote:

Just don\'t go getting gear envy when the E3 comes out.

Cheers

Ray
    I\'m just a photographer - it\'s all just tools of the trade to me. I have no emotional attachment to any gear and hopefully the E3 news will break the moment my gear is gone! Won\'t change things unless a cheaper 300mm option arrives though. Anyway I\'m not disappearing from here just yet.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

While I have to say I am sorry that we will not be getting your insight and experience with the Olympus equipment, I certain agree that you have to move to the equipment you feel will best serve your purposes and needs. You have probably agonized over this decision for a while, but now that you have made it you are truly moving on. I wish you the best, you won\'t need luck as you learn you equipment well and get the most out of it. Hopefully you will find time to drop in and see what is happening here occasionally.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yea, I was doing some very bad late night math.
    Steve

tspore wrote:
    Steve wrote:
    I think getting out to 500mm at F2.8 is going to be great considering I never could have done that before. With the extender it would be something like a 900mm F4.
    Steve, In 35mm you are right the 250mm will be like 500mm.
    However with the 1.4 teleconverter it is: 350 = 700mm. That is long. VERY long.

However, I would think that the lens will cost between $4500-5500.
    Another lens that we can\'t afford.
    Just my speculation.
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Talk about agonizing; that\'s what I did when I purchased the E-1 over a year ago. I was just starting my photography business after being a newspaper photographer for 7 years and shooting regularly as a PR guy for 10 years. I used Nikon the entire time.

I wanted the E-1 because it is so much easier to frame for an 8x10 and because of the colors. I made the decision to buy the E-1 thinking I would just use it for group photos and portraits. I have held onto most of my Nikon equipment all this time, but if the next E pro model is what I expect all of the Nikon equipment will be traded in.

The point is that I really agonized over buying into another camera system, but it really has worked out well for me. I use Olympus for almost everything now including sports. The 150 F2 is great. When I bought the E-1 I never thought I would ever completely switch over. The key is finding what works for you and make the most of it.
    Steve

Kansas Ron wrote:
    You have probably agonized over this decision for a while, but now that you have made it you are truly moving on. I wish you the best, you won\'t need luck as you learn you equipment well and get the most out of it. Hopefully you will find time to drop in and see what is happening here occasionally.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Goodby, Ian.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks everybody for your comments. Have the D2X now and it\'s looking good. I have listed everything I still have left in FORSALE.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

After you gain some experience with it you might pass on your feelings on how the it compares to the E-1, bodies and handling that is.