Thread: Green cast on photos with CS2 and other questions

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Green cast on photos with CS2 and other questions

I have set my settings as Tony has suggested in his article and it works pretty well for skin tones. For this last batch of late day harsh sun, I could not work the green cast out of the developing. I batch processed them through viewer and the colors were right on.

Also, let me ask the experts. My color space is different in Photoshop than it is on my computer or viewing on the internet. So, am I messing with my pictures when I shouldn\'t be? I calibrate my monitor every couple of weeks with a gretag macbeth eye1, latest software.

Here are the color setting in CS2(the desature monitor colors by was at 20%. I accidentally cleared it when making the screenshot)

Post edited by: llpoolej, at: 2005/09/17 13:41

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Default Re:Green cast on photos with CS2 and other questions

You should be in SRGB for all things going on the Web. I usually just put everything in that mode, I know Adobe RGB is a bigger color gamut. But my prints for people from smugmug are great and those are SRGB. Keep life simple, SRGB works for me.
    If you are having trouble with a green cast, I would recommend looking first at the \"Tint\" slider under the White Balance. Usually that goes red to blue, but perhaps, with the harsh sun it is making green????? So that would be my first thought.
    Post a picture. Also I have set up a FTP that anyone can use to get me pictures to look at.
    http://allplaces.net/ftp
    Username - guest@allplaces.net password - guest.
    That way I and others can see first hand your problem.
    After you place the pictures in it, drop me a note, to let me know that you posted it there.
    T

Post edited by: tspore, at: 2005/09/17 16:07

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Re:Green cast on photos with CS2 and other questio

I just uploaded 3 files to you. The viewer developed file is the one with the date only once. The CS2 developed file is the jpg with the date twice in it and I also uploaded the original orf.

I work in sRGB and shoot in sRGB, but CS2 seems to be a different color than anything else I view the files in. You can see what my color space is set at and so, I wonder what I am doing wrong

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

That is a problem I had, and have.... Many other programs do not have as sophesticated a color program as PS. You may want to look at the view/proof setup/working CMYK....
    I also have my PS preferences set to North America General purposes 2... Sometimes I use prepress 2.

#2 - i think that I was mistaken about the tint slider.... I think that is Red (It may be Magenta) - Green adjustment. and WB - Blue yellow.... But I would have to look it up to double check.

I will look and get back to you in a while.
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Well Here is what I saw...
    [img size=500]http://tspore.smugmug.com/photos/36387693-M.jpg[/img]
    http://tspore.smugmug.com/gallery/816414
    At the URL you can see a bigger version. (But I kept it to 100 px.
    My Thoughts:
    First, I didn\'t really do any sharpening, because it doesn\'t need it, and we are not comparing that.
    I wanted to give you exactly, what I saw on the images you uploaded to me, and then show you my interpretation of the colors.
    I like my greens saturated. :sick:
    I think grass should be. I also like the colors to glow... In Studio, sometimes the colors will be more profound, and then when I take a photo to PS, it is less than what I had seen. So in this case you may want to try to take the photo from studio in Adobe RGB, and then convert in PS....
    I was trying to get the horses so they glowed, so I keep the saturation high for that reason too. But to lessen that, you can reduce contrast as the example below.
    [img size=400]http://tspore.smugmug.com/photos/36388628-M.jpg[/img]
    Hope that helps....
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Normally our grass is green but we haven\'t had rain in weeks, so it has yellowed out. The studio version is the actual color of the horses. They don\'t have so much yellow/green in their coats.

I love to use Photoshop, but it just doesn\'t talk to the files the same. I may batch process all of my decent looking orfs and then singly process any needing tweaking

The big problem I have with PS, is that the colors are DIFFERENT viewed in PS than they are viewed in any other viewer, including the web.
    [img size=600]http://fourthirdsphoto.com/components/com_simpleboard/uploaded/images/P9157006.jpg[/img]

Post edited by: tspore, at: 2005/09/18 11:01

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Here is a less saturated version of the horses.
    I agree I have the same problem with the web, and other programs.... It is frustrating. What is your OS? I assume PC, I finally found somewhat of a fix for OSX, but I would have to find the article, it involves throwing out files in the Library. So it isn\'t to bad now.
    [img size=600]http://fourthirdsphoto.com/components/com_simpleboard/uploaded/images/89ed55c8514a6cd8e2fce3dc22514f83.jpg[/img]

Post edited by: tspore, at: 2005/09/18 11:02