Thread: E-300

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Default E-300

Well, I just wanted you all to know. I have stepped up in the 4/3 world. I am now the owner of a E-300. (I plan on running it through some test, and may sell it later, but I like it, so far)
    The only thing that I am not crazy about is a f5.6 lens.

T

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re:E-300

Yes it\'s a great tool, a fast lens always helps, enjoy. L

Thanks
    Feedback Score

tspore wrote:
    The only thing that I am not crazy about is a f5.6 lens.
    Well, instead of using the 14-45mm at 45mm f5.6, you can use the 40-150mm at 40mm f3.5!!!

Mike

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Well, it came with the 14-45mm, I wanted it for testing. And also the body.
    But I will probably stick with the 14-54 for general shooting.
    I am really lusting after the 14-35.
    That will probably be a main lens, as well as the 35-100mm.
    If they would only release them.
    And another body too.
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Well, I didn\'t have to worry about the battery. I have a couple spares, but I am waiting around trying to update the firmware.... It takes a long time. I really like the screen it is nice and bright. But it does need a screen protector.
    I also like its feel. Its not to bad. I was thinking Rebel, not at all. I plan on taking it out tomorrow, for a little shoot around. Maybe walk around the outdoor mall. Or something.
    I do like having the little popup flash. I will see if its worth anything, it works ok in my home office.
    So we will see. As of now. Its a good camera.

T

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Now you see why I started that LCD protector/cover thread a couple of weeks back - it does take a bit of a beating. Will you be shooting in RAW? I almost totally ignore Jpeg shooting on mine as the in camera processing is way short of a decent raw convertor. I look forward to seeing your conclusions about image quality against the E-1 when shooting RAW with the same lense in the same conditions. For what it\'s worth when I junked my 14-45 in favour of the 14-54 I found the difference staggering, although I know many people disagree with me on that one!
    EP-1, 14-42mm, FL36, Macs, PSCS, Realviz Stitcher.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

You\'re gonna like it!
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

russ.will wrote:
    Will you be shooting in RAW? I almost totally ignore Jpeg shooting on mine as the in camera processing is way short of a decent raw convertor. For what it\'s worth when I junked my 14-45 in favour of the 14-54 I found the difference staggering, although I know many people disagree with me on that one!
    I have seen some pictures posted using the latest firmware upgrade in JPEG that have been very good. I am still using RAW, but I think I will have to try out JPEG, just to see - maybe shoot a few of the same shots both ways, just to see (I know I could do RAW + JPG, but want to make sure of the result of using JPEG only).

I too got rid of my 14-45 for a 14-54. The 14-45 actually was very good and the main reason was because it is a much faster lens. I am totally pleased with its quality and speed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

KR,
    Part of my gripe with Jpegs probally stems from the somewhat approximate metering employed by the E-300. The exposure correction afforded by RAW processing allows me to expose to save highlights that are all too readily lost in Jpegs.

It\'s probably not Jpegs per se that are the problem, but now I\'ve got used to RAW workflow I really can\'t see any reason to go back, even if both the metering and Jpeg processing are much improved. Also, I tend to shoot a lot of landscapes and the 12bit colour depth really helps pull out the subtle colour variations in grass and foliage while bypassing the slightly heavy handed low pass filtering employed in-camera helps maintain detail that would otherwise be lost. As I tend to use a mju (Stylus) 300 for snapshots, I keep the E-300 for when I am in hobby mode. If we asked everybody on here what methods we employ, I\'m sure we would come up with as many answers for a given situation. I guess if it fits your needs, you get comfy with it and learn to extract the best from that method.You can probably get way better results than me from Jpeg because I\'ve never really tried and visa versa.

Russell
    EP-1, 14-42mm, FL36, Macs, PSCS, Realviz Stitcher.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I agree for landscapes that shooting in 12 bit is definitely the way to go. Overall I do not find RAW workflow to be much of a problem. I am, however, interested in trying out the exposure function of PS CS2 on the JPEGs.