Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EX-25mm Macro Tube

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: EX-25mm Macro Tube

For thirty years I did my close-up and macro work with manual extension tube(s) on a film SLR. When I got the E-300, the EX-25 was indeed an option: but much reading and a little thought persuaded me that the ZD 35/3.5 macro was the better option. It is light and easy to manage hand held, and it cost only around $200.
    Mukul Dube E-3, ZD 14-54, ZD 35, ZD 25, ZD 18-180, FL-36, ME-1, Bower SFD 926o; Sony A7 with kit zoom and 24, 35, 50, 55, 85 and 105 manual Nikkors Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Smile Re: EX-25mm Macro Tube

I have an Zuko Digital 70-300. Will the EX-25 work with this Lens??
    Kenneth T. Lightcap

E-300 / Zuiko Digital 40-150 mm f-3.5 /Zuiko Digital 14-45mm f-3.5 / Zuiko Digital 70-300mm f-4 /
    OM G.Zuiko Auto-W 35mm f-2.8/OM F.Zuiko Auto-S 50mm f-1.8 /ZYKKOR 135mm Macro f-2.8/Vivitar 400mm f5.6 / Vivitar 2x Macro Converter/3x Converter/ Nikon 50mm f-1.8/Chinar 135mm f-2.8 /OM to 4-3rds Converter /Nikon to 4-3rds Converter / Various Filters B&M /FL-36 Flash /Two Tripods / One Mono pod

OM-1 /Nikon - EM :- 35 mm Film Cameras

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth T. Lightcap View Post
    I have an Zuko Digital 70-300. Will the EX-25 work with this Lens??
    It works.
    *2 Magnifications Range : Figures inside ( ) are the values converted to 35mm film camera.
    Last edited by Johannes; 08-06-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thank you very much, Johannes. (methinks )

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just to note that I tried it with a Sigma 150 macro and it works great.

GerryH
    E330, E520, Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 14-45, Zuiko 40-150, Zuiko 11-22, Ziko 50-200,Sigma 50-500, Sigma 18-50EX DC Macro, Sigma 150/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro,Sigma 105/2.8, Sigma 55-200, Olympus EX25, virtual village focus screen, ME-1 Eyecup, Metz 44 Flash,Slik PRO400DX TriPod, Giottos MH7001-621 BallHead, Ownuser FX-FBH Battery Grip, 200+ legacy lenses.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/ghenton

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Has anyone tried this EX-25 on the 14-42mm lens? Would it just be easier (and less expensive) to use close up lenses/filters? I am interested in getting into macrophotography but don't want to buy more than I need for the hobby.
    Wes
    "A photograph says what words cannot."
    Twin Olympus E-520's|Zuiko 14-42mm Lens|Zuiko 40-150mm Lens| Zuiko 70-300mm Lens|Zuiko 2x Teleconverter| FL-50R Flash |Photo Logic Tripod

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I would not recommend the ex-25 as a macro lens, it does shorten the focal length of a lens but "it does not a macro lens make", For the money I would get the Olympus 35mm macro lens, it is cheap and works great.

GerryH
    E330, E520, Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 14-45, Zuiko 40-150, Zuiko 11-22, Ziko 50-200,Sigma 50-500, Sigma 18-50EX DC Macro, Sigma 150/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro,Sigma 105/2.8, Sigma 55-200, Olympus EX25, virtual village focus screen, ME-1 Eyecup, Metz 44 Flash,Slik PRO400DX TriPod, Giottos MH7001-621 BallHead, Ownuser FX-FBH Battery Grip, 200+ legacy lenses.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/ghenton

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ak_traveler View Post
    Has anyone tried this EX-25 on the 14-42mm lens? Would it just be easier (and less expensive) to use close up lenses/filters? I am interested in getting into macrophotography but don't want to buy more than I need for the hobby.
    Doesn't really work on shorter focal length lenses, it may just about work at the long end of your 14-42, but you will find your 40-150 much more useable with it. Use manual focus mode and set it the the minimum close focus position, then use the zoom to adjust focus and working distance and move the camera to achieve final focus. Use an aperture around f/11.

Advantage of the EX-25 tube is it does not cost a lot, and as there is no glass it does not degrade image quality.

alistairj.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I haven't gotten it to work with my 14-42, but it works well on the 40-150.

Chester Bullock
    E-30, EX-25, 50f2, 14-54 Mk II, Sigma 55-200
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Photos | Blog | Twitter
    "Like" My Photography on Facebook

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I'm glad this thread got bumped, because it made me read it again and I see some folks asking whether the EX-25 can be used with the 70-300. The answer is yes, but there is NO REASON (except perhaps depth-of-field?) to do this. As you can see in this info taken from the EX-25 PDF, concerning its use with the 70-300 lens:

magnification alone = .50x
    MAXIMUM magnification with the EX-25 = 0.34-0.40x at 70mm

So, the 70-300 BY ITSELF gets more magnification (at 300mm) than it does with the EX-25 attached. With the EX-25, the maximum mag with a zoom lens is always attained at the LOWEST zoom that can achieve focus (in this case 70mm), and yields LESS magnification than the 300mm zoom level without the EX-25.

You can read more about this on a thread I started about the EX-25:
    http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=53603

which explains why "the 70-300 gets a bigger boost at 70mm from the EX25 than it does at 300mm, but gets more magnification at 300mm by itself than it does at 70mm with the EX25."
    Last edited by RAH; 01-20-2010 at 05:34 AM.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    With the EX-25, the maximum mag with a zoom lens is always attained at the LOWEST zoom (in this case 70mm), and yields LESS magnification than the 300mm zoom level without the EX-25.

This is not a true statement in general. There are many zooms where the greatest benefit from extension tubes (or even better, achromats) is found at the largest focal length. Besides, one of the prime benefits of using an extensiuon tube with a zoom or large telephoto is that it lowers the minimum focusing distance, allowing one to get closer to the subject. For zooms/teles where the greatest benefit is derived from employing an extender/achromat at the largest focal length, this is where the greatest magnification comes from.
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post

This is not a true statement in general. There are many zooms where the greatest benefit from extension tubes (or even better, achromats) is found at the largest focal length. Besides, one of the prime benefits of using an extensiuon tube with a zoom or large telephoto is that it lowers the minimum focusing distance, allowing one to get closer to the subject. For zooms/teles where the greatest benefit is derived from employing an extender/achromat at the largest focal length, this is where the greatest magnification comes from.
    I'm sorry, but I disagree. Can you name one zoom where the teleconverter gives more magnification at a higher focal length? This non-intuitive feature is a function of the way an extension tube works, which is explained in the thread link I posted.

As far as it being a benefit to lower the minimum focusing distance, this benefit is reflected in the magnification you get with the extension tube. So in what sense is it a benefit with the 70-300mm lens to get you closer to the subject if the magnification this gets you is actually LESS than the magnification you would get WITHOUT the tube?
    Rich
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Can you name one zoom where the teleconverter gives more magnification at a higher focal length? This non-intuitive feature is a function of the way an extension tube works, which is explained in the thread link I posted.
    Okay!, my mistake! I see where you are coming from now. The feature, as opposed to how you referenced it, is not non-intuitive. It is a direct result of the simply relationship:

Magnification = Focal Length / Extension

or

M = F / E

which is essentially Macro/Close up 101. This is, of course, true when discussing pure magnification only, as you have correctly done. Since E serves as the divisor in this equation, M must increase as the F goes down. I erroneously read more into your statements than I had any right to.

What I was really thinking of was image quality since I knew from my own sad experience that a number of manufacturers, including Olympus, have at times produced zooms with a so called "macro" mode that was supposed to enhance the close up quality of that zoom. In retrospect, I obviously should have been more explicit about what I was objecting too. The sub-rational reasons for my mis-reading your post are explained below.

As far as it being a benefit to lower the minimum focusing distance, this benefit is reflected in the magnification you get with the extension tube. So in what sense is it a benefit with the 70-300mm lens to get you closer to the subject if the magnification this gets you is actually LESS than the magnification you would get WITHOUT the tube?
    My original desire to buy my first true macro lens was fueled by the frustrations I experienced using the Zuiko 65-200/4 Close Focusing zoom. The 65-200/4 was bought to salve still earlier frustrations I experienced when using my Zuiko 50/1.4 standard lens with a macro converter by Panagor, a combo with a resultant image quality that left me very sad.

The 65-200/4 had a built-in so called "macro" mode that functioned only at the 200mm focal length to allow roughly 1:3 M. In this "macro" mode the zoom close focused down to 0.85 meters,, whereas at all other focal length settings it was constrained to a minimum focus of 1.2 meters.

At least Olympus was persnickety enough to refuse to label the lens as a "macro zoom," as much of the competing manufacturers were doing. The original definition for a macro lens was one capable of achieving a 1:1 M. The modern, more relaxed definition for a macro lens lowers this constraint to a 1:2 M.

In any regard, the image quality of this zoom at its "macro" mode was so unsatisfactory to me that I resolved to me replace it with a true macro lens, my current 90/2. The 65-200/4 is really not a bad zoom at all for general use. However, I was so upset by its relatively poor "macro" quality that I tend to be unfairly biased against it, and by extension, virtually all zooms employed for close up use. There have been some zooms with very good macro/close up qualities (e.g., the legendary Vivitar Series I 90-180/4.5 zoom)
    . However, my own early frustrations employing zooms as close up devices have left me more than a little "psychologically scarred," so to speak!

Please return to our regular programming.
    Last edited by jap; 01-21-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post

This is incorrect with regards to extension tubes. Tubes provide more magnification as lens focal length decreases. This is a fixed relationship as a tube simply provides a fixed amount of extension and since magnification is extension/focal length any time you reduce focal length magnification increases for a given extension. The limitations on zoom range come from when the shorter focal length places the point of focus at the front element or less.

Achromats and Teleconverters function differently (Achromats are designed for specific focal length ranges and function best when matched, TC's provide a fixed change in magnification identical to the change in focal length (IE a 2x TC doubles magnification and focal length).
    G1, E-30, G-Vario 14-45 f3.5-5.6 Asph, M.Zuiko 17/2.8, ZD 14-54 f2.8-3.5 II, ZD ED 40-150 f4-5.6, ZD ED 70-300 f4-5.6, DMW-MA1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    This is incorrect with regards to extension tubes. Tubes provide more magnification as lens focal length decreases. This is a fixed relationship as a tube simply provides a fixed amount of extension and since magnification is extension/focal length any time you reduce focal length magnification increases for a given extension. The limitations on zoom range come from when the shorter focal length places the point of focus at the front element or less.

Achromats and Teleconverters function differently (Achromats are designed for specific focal length ranges and function best when matched, TC's provide a fixed change in magnification identical to the change in focal length (IE a 2x TC doubles magnification and focal length).
    Yes, I understand all this. However, there was no point in responding to this as I explained where I was coming from in my subsequent post. My response was really extremely colored by poor macro/close up performance issues with certain zooms I used in the past, and I did not read the post I responded to properly. In most respects, I really had no business responding to that post at all.

The practical problem with using extenders with zooms is that the zooming facility becomes somewhat impractical with an extender aboard. In short, one cannot zoom with an extender and maintain focus while zooming with standard parfocal zooms, also known as "true" zooms. (Parfocal zooms are distinct from varifocal zooms, which do not preserve focus as they are being zoomed, like my old Vivitar Series I 35-85/2.8.) The mounted extender forces one to re-focus every time one changes the focal length. In addition, extenders cause you to lose precious light, which can force longer exposure times - not always practical when one is trying to image flowers even in a gentle breeze.

Rather than stating generally that achromats are designed for a specific focal length, it is probably better to state that they are designed for certain focal length ranges
    , especially for telephoto ranges. For instance, the popular Nikon achromats - 3T, 4T, 5T, and 6T (I owned the 5T and 6T) - were designed to give superlative results with the focal length range 80-200m. Similarly, the Minolta No. 1 achromat, which I still own, provides excellent results with the focal length range 24-200mm. Of course, as you indicated, there were achromats designed for a specific lens. For instance, the Olympus Close-up lens 80mm Macro f=170m, designed for the 1:1 80mm macro, is such an achromat.

The reason I brought up achromats to begin with is because they really make zooms a joy to work with for close up/macro use. With an achromat mounted in front of the zoom's front element, one can easily zoom and maintain focus throughout the zoom range, unlike employing zooms with extenders. A big plus is that they also preserve light, which is impossible with extenders. For sheer practical ease of close up/macro usage with zooms, achromats simply trounce extenders.
    Last edited by jap; 01-21-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

JAP, thanks for clarifying what you meant. I think mawz added his posting because I asked him to do so in a private message this morning before you posted your reply. I requested this because I am not very knowledgeable in this area and was basically just going by what he said in the thread I linked to above. So I figured I needed someone to back me up in this admittedly odd thing (you get the most magnification with an extension tube at the lowest zoom focal length - sounds weird alright!), so thanks mawz!

Anyway, I wanted to get this idea into this Member Review because i think it is something that needs to be understood if you want to know about using an extension tube.
    Rich

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anyway, I wanted to get this idea into this Member Review because i think it is something that needs to be understood if you want to know about using an extension tube.

No problems! Maybe I really ought to talk to some kind of photo psychologist to resolve my hangups with zooms's "macro" modes for close up/macro work - especially if simply seeing the words "zoom" and "macro" are causing me to mis-read posts that badly.

Once more, back to our regularly scheduled program!
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Concerning the 70-300 with the EX-25. Olympus has published revised specs since I gathered my info, spelling out the magnification amounts for other focal lengths beside 70mm.

Turns out that at 300mm it has more magnification (up to 0.66x) with the EX-25 than without it. Here is the new chart. It seems to be the only Oly zoom lens that achieves its highest magnification with the EX-25 at its highest focal length (all the others achieve their maximum mag at their lowest focal length).

Here is the new chart (thanks to Davidh202!):
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh202 View Post
    ZUIKO DIGITAL
    ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6

70mm MF 42.5cm ~ 43.8cm 0.34 ~ 0.4x
    (0.68 ~ 0.8x) *2

150mm MF 74.2cm ~ 125.8cm 0.17 ~ 0.42x
    (0.34 ~ 0.84x) *2

300mm MF 90.8 ~ 422.1cm 0.09 ~ 0.66x
    (0.18 ~ 1.32x) *2

*2Magnifications Range : Figures inside ( ) are the values converted to 35mm film camera

The full chart for EX-25 compatability can be found here...
    http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...4042e.cfm#etcl
    Rich

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

is this ex 25 are made for manual lens? i was told that iit will produced 1:1 with 50/3,5macro?
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default EX 25mm Macro

I just started a hunter and found this macro in a thread on the official forums.But I cant get it to work.The focus mod thing works. The assist works. The petattack works.But my guy does nothing, he just stands there.Code: