Thread: Fuji and 4/3 mount

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Default Fuji and 4/3 mount

Before I bought my E-1, I was very close to buying a Fuji body. I had a lot of Nikon glass, etc.
    But instead I bought the E-1. I love my camera, but I was wondering if you look into your crystal ball, do you think that there will ever be a Fuji in it?
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re:Fuji and 4/3 mount

I\'m sure I used to have Fuji SLRs in the camera store I worked in many years ago, and that they were screw thread. Was there aver a proprietary Fujinon bayonet camera mount? If so, it\'s been long abandoned. So it looks like they are willing to adopt a \"standard\" of someone else\'s making. On the other hand, they\'re wedded to the Nikon mount at the moment and I can\'t see that changing short term.

I suppose it comes down to money, like most things. If four thirds mount ever becomes dominant commercially, then even Nikon and Canon might move: but it\'ll be an awfully long time off, I suspect.

I was very surprised that Sony didn\'t go for 4/3 though. Supporting the Minolta bayonet seems to be an odd decision, given the lacklustre sales of KM digital SLRs so far. Maybe they didn\'t want people to think they were following Panasonic in some way as they\'d already announced their adoption of the 4/3 mount.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Fuji did make a manual focus lens mount of their own years ago. It was their last gasp before pulling the plug on film slrs. It never reached critical mass and may have helped push them out of slr building. My prediction for Fuji is that they will exit the digital slr field just like Kodak did. A pro store I know used to sell a lot of Fuji dslr to wedding/portrait photographers. Now they hardly sell any. They begged my friend to buy another one for his business. He bought a Nikon instead. I don\'t see how you can compete if you have to buy the camera from you competitor and redo it to sell. They will probably keep making the chips and sell them to others. They might use a Pana/Oly camera for their consumer eforts.
    thanks
    barondla

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I would be more likely to buy a Nikon or Canon before I would a Fuji. Great colors, beautiful photos, but not fast enough for high speed action, which is my favorite

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I had a Fuji S1 Pro DSLR. It was a Nikon mount. I don\'t think there is such a thing as a Fuji lens.
    The Nikon mount was the ONLY downfall other than no dust protection. The pics were great. The camera was a heavy sucker and large compared to Oly.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

I have doubts that Nikon and Canon will ever come over, to 4/3. But Fuji was one of the first adaptors of the 4/3 standard. So I was hoping that they would. There cameras are not fast, but there chips are great. I don\'t like the AA\'s but if you have extra batteries you\'ll be ok.
    I just really like there chips.
    A E-1 built, Panasonic IS, Fuji Chips, That would make a great combo.
    I think that\'s about as open as anything.
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Fuji makes very interesting sensors and it would be nice to see them also in 4/3 format...

I propably would prefer an Olympus 4/3 SLR with a Fuji sensor over a Fuji 4/3 DSLR with aFuji sensor from judging the DSLR cameras both companies have released so far.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I think Fuji sensors are very good, however, I really like the way the Kodak sensor in the E-1 does not over process the image and keeps it looking like film. The colours and hues are natural looking and not overly saturated.

I\'d prefer to see another Kodak sensor in the \"E-3\" as long as it keeps the same characteristics as the present one, even if it means poorer 1600 and above ISO results.

Tony

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

I agree Tony. E-1 Body is 100% better than the Fuji.
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Tony,

I was talking about the CCD properties of the Kodak.

On the subject of the Fuji bodies (S1, S2 &S3). When I was shopping for my D-SLR in the fall of \'03, my options were the Nikon D100 & Fuji S2 (because I had a stable of 6 Nikon AF-D lenses) and the Oly E-1. I had been following the developments of the E-1 for sometime and when it was officially announced on June 24th, which has become a household holiday BTW , it became the on to beat. I discounted the S2 due to AA batteries and no option of vertical grip and I was not too fond of the build quality of the D100 or it\'s built-in flash.

Tony

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I\'d buy fuji any day due to their sensor. It is without doubt the best in any pricerange for DSLR cameras. The bodies however is not.

I doubt fuji will change to ONLY 4/3. That means I think they can release two quite similar cameras, one for Nikon mount, and one for 4/3 with a lower pixel count. I do not see Fuji leaving the Nikkor-lens lineup since they do have some users who they probably want to tag along who has their closet full of nikkor optics.