Thread: Question about IEEE1394 plug in camera

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Default Question about IEEE1394 plug in camera

I was going through my E1 box and found the cord that connects to the IEEE plug in the camera. I\'ve never used it, so I thought I would try it. I took a sample picture, plugged it in and put the other end into the computer and turned the camera on to transfer my picture (I don\'t have a card reader hooked up). I checked windows explorer and didn\'t see a new removeable drive listed.

Thanks,

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re:Question about IEEE1394 plug in camera

Hi Ann,
    have you installed Olympus Master?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Go to my computer and see if there is a removeable drive listed. It should show up, if the camera is on and your firewire plug is operational.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

pixelmaniaman wrote:
    Hi Ann,
    Hi. No, I don\'t believe I have that. I don\'t think I got it with the camera stuff??
    I checked the status of the plug and it says it\'s fine. I was told Olympus Master is a program that comes with E300, I have the E-1 and I don\'t believe I have that program.

llpoolej: Please see last sentence of my first posting.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------

Thanks
    Feedback Score

AnnF wrote:
    pixelmaniaman wrote:
    Hi. No, I don\'t believe I have that. I don\'t think I got it with the camera stuff??
    I checked the status of the plug and it says it\'s fine. I was told Olympus Master is a program that comes with E300, I have the E-1 and I don\'t believe I have that program.
    With E-1 the software is called Olympus \"Viewer\" but it does the same thing.

One has to ask though, \"is your firewire port working, have you used it before?\"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Ann,

I don\'t have enough information to offer any suggestions. However, I use the firewire (1394) port of my E-1 all the time. It is the primary way that I transfer photos from my camera to my Dell Inspiron notebook running Windows XP Pro. It works very well and I use the Windows Explorer to do it just like you want.

I doubt that a driver is required for the Windows Explorer; but, I can\'t say for sure because I installed it before I first connected my E-1 to my computer. I think the Olympus driver is only required by their software (Viewer and Studio). Olympus used to include their Viewer program with the E-1. You can download updates at Olympus\' website here: Olympus Software Updates. If you follow the links to the Viewer or Studio update you will eventually see where the Olympus driver can also be downloaded (it is installed separately from their applications).
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Thanks, guys.

I\'ve always used windows explorer to drag and drop because I didn\'t have a card reader that would take my microdrive card (guess I should get one). Anyway, from what I can tell the port IS functioning properly. I do have Viewer that came with the camera and I did do an updtae on it last year. I only used it a few times, though.

Whenever I plug something in like that I get a little chime and the little box at the bottom says something about a faster port would work beter and another box pops up asking which program I want to use. I usually x that box out and just go to explorer to drag & drop. When I plug this cord in, none of those things happen.

I\'ve had to get drivers for several of the other cords I have. I don\'t know, maybe I do need a driver for this one, too? But I would think that after I plugged this in I would at least get the little box saying a new device was there and try to look for a driver?

Ann
    --------

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Hello Ann,

With the E-1 you should have gotten \"Olympus Viewer\"

Olympus Master is dowloadable from Oly Website.

Try connecting the cable from the camera to the PC and then turn the camera on without Windows Explorer running. It should popup a ballon down in the right corner that says \"Found New Hardware\"
    If you have never used the 1394 port on that PC you may also have to enable it.
    The Oly driver is a necessity for Windows XP as well.

Let me know how it works out........
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

I found the problem. I had forgotten that I had to do certain things first when installing.

While downloading the latest viewer update, I found that I needed to re-install the camera control driver when using a different method (IEEE 1394). I followed the instructions and it works just fine now.

Thanks,

Ann
    --------

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Pardon me asking, but I\'ve got both leads and both connectors on my E1/laptop, and I\'ve never bothered with firewire as USB2 is similar in speed. Is there some advantage to firewire that I\'ve missed?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

While your computer probably has USB 2.0, I believe the E-1 predates USB 2.0 and I also believe Firewire is faster.

I hadn\'t tested it ... but I will now!

Film at 11.......
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

The reason I wanted to use it was because I already have all 4 usb ports in use right now, and I was tired of disconnecting the wireless dsl thingy on the front of the computer so I could hook up the camera (the other slots are in the back and not as quick to get to).

Also, I did hear that it\'s faster. When I downloaded my sample picture it SEEMED to go faster, but I\'m not 100% sure.

Ann
    --------

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

pj_hobart wrote:
    Pardon me asking, but I\'ve got both leads and both connectors on my E1/laptop, and I\'ve never bothered with firewire as USB2 is similar in speed. Is there some advantage to firewire that I\'ve missed?
    Under ideal conditions USB2 and the original 1394 firewire are very similar in speed. However, in practice firewire is usually superior. Plus there is a newer faster version of firewire (not yet supported by Olympus) that is twice as fast.

The USB2 system is designed to be a general-purpose buss for connecting everything from mice and keyboards to printers and hard drives. Firewire is designed primarily for high-speed connection to fast devices such as digital video cameras, scanners and hard drives. Firewire is not designed to accommodate slow input devices like mice and keyboards.

I prefer firewire for anything that needs to be fast.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the information. I might give firewire a try now..

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: Question about IEEE1394 plug in camera

I just tried to connect my E-1 to my DELL 6400 notebook using a firewire cable, 4 pin to 4 pin mini plugs, the DELL 'ding' and seems it was detected, but nothing shown, at device manager of XP, I saw a yellow exclamation mark next to the E-1, I updated the driver, but still not working ....
    Could be a faulty cable or faulty firewire adaptor in the DELL(its new)?
    Any one can give a helping hand and advise?
    PS: it works fine at my desktop computer, and I compared both drivers are the same .......

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

If it works on the desktop. I would assume that the issue is with the laptop. Try to delete the driver.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

On my Canon S45, I had to switch PTP (Picture to Picture) communications to get the cable to work directly with Windows Explorer. Does your camera have a different mode setting? I could see my camera under Camera in XP Pro Windows Explorer.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tspore View Post
    If it works on the desktop. I would assume that the issue is with the laptop. Try to delete the driver.
    Which driver to delete?
    On the XP device manager, it shows code 10 ......
    when I click update driver, it shows 'Cannot Continue the Hardware update wizard' ........

The cable I use at Desktop is a 6 to 1 cable, at Laptop is a 4 to 4 mini plug cable... is it due to the 4-4pins cable non-powered?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

When the cable is plugged into the camera and the device you should see a new driver that was not in the list when the device is not pluged into the computer.

It don't think that it has to do with the cable non powered. But the 6 to 1 cable could be part of the issue.
    Really in my world everything would be firewire. Totally throw away USB... But it will have to wait till I am king. So some day.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Thanks Tony :-)
    Tried everything this morning, called Olympus for help, they said the only way is to uninstall Master 2 and Studio 2, then reinstall Viewer/Studio 1.51 and get the XP sp2 driver install... but still doesn't work....
    Then connect the DELL laptop online to DELL Support, they remotely controlled the laptop to check everything including the firewire hardware drivers, install Olympus software again ... but still doesn't work.(Both Olympus and DELL provided top class service !!!!)
    Now can only use USB for the E-1 when connected to Laptop .... anyway ... still alive .... guess could be some hardware conflicts ... (IRQ?)
    give up at the moment and case closed .....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I doubt it's an IRQ problem as that's more a problem with Win9X systems rather than NT based operating systems - code 10 is a bit of a vague error, there's no 'general' fix for a driver in that state.

I'm fairly sure I've used the E-1 with a four pin to four pin cable but I rarely use that camera, I'll check later.

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    I just tried to connect my E-1 to my DELL 6400 notebook using a firewire cable, 4 pin to 4 pin mini plugs, the DELL 'ding' and seems it was detected, but nothing shown, at device manager of XP, I saw a yellow exclamation mark next to the E-1, I updated the driver, but still not working ....
    Could be a faulty cable or faulty firewire adaptor in the DELL(its new)?
    Any one can give a helping hand and advise?
    PS: it works fine at my desktop computer, and I compared both drivers are the same .......
    Does the 1394 port work for other equipment (e.g. video camera) if it does then I'm not sure what the problem is. If it doesn't go to the Dell website and download the driver the the 1394. My guess is that Dell driver for its connection is corrupted. Hope this helps.

Maddog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Thanks Maddog and John, you both encouraged me to sort out the problem, I tested to connect the Laptop to the Desktop by firewire, it works fine, so nothing wrong on the firewire hardware on the Laptop for sure, next step is to try another cable .....

Tony .... tried, it doesn't help....