Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solution required for AF switch

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Solution required for AF switch

This is bt far the worst feature of the E1 and during a job constantly gets moved from S to M. Why it hasn\'t got a lock on it, especially because of where it is is a mystery. The whole thing is a mystery. Any got a simple fix other than tape?. David

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re:Solution required for AF switch

You mean the C-S-MF switch...talk to the 30 pros who helped design the E-1...they said what they wanted in the camera (somebody probably said they wanted a mechanical switch to quickly switch focusing modes rather than an electronic switch).

It\'s been \"improved\" on the E-300 and the E-500...now it\'s an electronic switch you push (like the record mode switch) and then you turn the wheel to go through the various choices...you push the button again to deselect the switch and the mode is locked to your choice.

Who knows what the next E will bring (besides what is shown in FAKE photographs of it).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Break it off?
    It is really anoying. I would but then I am afraid that I would bust it off in the wrong position, and I then couldn\'t move it.
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score

David: I\'d try a little piece of common electrician\'s tape before dismissing it altogether. I use it at work to shield an emergency/distress button on our hand radios, hopefully preventing the inevitable commotion that results when one accidentally trips the button. Try to think of it as being an \"elegant\" solution, or better yet, \"if it\'s stupid and it works, it\'s not stupid.\"

Rocky
    Rocky
    BL3.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

DavidL wrote:
    This is bt far the worst feature of the E1 and during a job constantly gets moved from S to M. Why it hasn\'t got a lock on it, especially because of where it is is a mystery. The whole thing is a mystery. Any got a simple fix other than tape?.
    No way! It is a GREAT feature!!! The idea of having to drill down through a menu to change the focus mode is horrible. I\'m extremely happy that Olympus chose to provide the switch. And for those who aren\'t aware, it did not start with the E-1. The focus mode switch was introduced on the E-10, continued on the E-20 and enhanced for the E-1.

There are many times during a shoot that I\'ll quickly switch between AF and MF. I use AF+MF mode a lot also. If the E-1 had a mechanical lock, it would only get in the way and slow things down. But don\'t be confused by the switch—it is not mechanical (otherwise an AF+MF mode would be impossible). It is an electric switch and can therefore be controlled by the processor. It is possible (and would be fine with me) if Olympus provided a \"lock\" in one of the menus.

Tony, perhaps this would be another good poll question: \"Do you like the E-1 focus mode switch?\"

As for a \"simple fix\", how about adding an HLD-2 battery grip. It will extend the bottom of the camera so that the switch is no longer on the bottom corner (and therefore less prone to being knocked) and it will provide both longer shooting between recharges and much faster C-AF performance.

Another \"simple fix\": if the switch is being knocked as the camera is being taken in and out of a camera bag, then get a better camera bag that fits the camera well.

Yet another \"simple fix\": train everyone who uses the camera to look in the viewfinder for the absence of the \"AF confirmation mark\" so they\'ll recognize when AF is off.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

I knock it a lot of times. It happens. But I don\'t like it.
    (I use the grip, Have a proper sized bag(s) etc)
    But the truth is I am rough with my camera. It\'s how it is. I don\'t bump it as much as I use to but it\'s a problem for me.
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I have the grip on one of my bodies but I still manage to shift it, in fact i think I do it more on that body.
    Will go the electrical tape way i guess.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I can\'t believe they are messing with switches and menus at all! This is supposed to be a pro camera get with it. My non pro Pentax allows you to turn the focus ring at any time. No manual or auto switching needed with the new digital lenses. It is great. So much faster. It also feels great on manual focus. Almost like an old manual focus lens.
    thanks
    barondla

Thanks
    Feedback Score

barondla wrote:
    I can\'t believe they are messing with switches and menus at all! This is supposed to be a pro camera get with it. My non pro Pentax allows you to turn the focus ring at any time. No manual or auto switching needed with the new digital lenses. It is great. So much faster. It also feels great on manual focus. Almost like an old manual focus lens.
    It depends on how you work...there are times I don\'t want the AF to activate so I DO want to disable it and just to manual focus (MF mode); if I\'m shooting a scene over and over again that doesn\'t change in distance, I don\'t need it to focus each time. And yes, there are times I want to continually focus (C mode) and not just stay locked on the first thing it focused on (like chasing monkeys at a zoo). And yes, there are times I want AF with the ability to override the AF (S mode). You have to really try these modes, you may discover you like it rather than sticking to the ordinary S-AF mode.

The issue here though is the switch on the E-1 protruding too much so it\'s easily knocked into another mode. I admit it\'s been a long time since I used an E-1 and I\'m only going by photos of it, it may seem drastic but if it was really annoying me (and I don\'t recommend this) I\'d take a pair of wire cutters and snip off the part of the plastic that protrudes out from the switch, so then it requires my finger nail to move the lever and wouldn\'t easily be flicked by the brush of my hand. Either that or put tape over it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

DavidL wrote:
    This is bt far the worst feature of the E1 and during a job constantly gets moved from S to M. Why it hasn\'t got a lock on it, especially because of where it is is a mystery. The whole thing is a mystery. Any got a simple fix other than tape?. David
    David,

I knock the switch too, but I also have a more general problem with autofocus: I am never sure where the damn thing has focused itself. This is a particular problem with C mode and with more than one focus point activated.

My solution is to set S-M in mode 3 and C in mode 6. I only use the centre focus spot. With static subjects, (the majority for me), I leave it in M, aim the centre focus point where I want it to focus, push the AEL button to focus and reframe before shooting.

After a while pushing the AEL button to focus becomes second nature. If the camera does not focus, you know you knocked the switch again.

It works for me...

I also have an E300, which does not have the switch problem, but unfortunately cannot set the AEL button the same way. You can set the OK button to change MF to AF but it is not conveniently placed. Hoever using S and C is less of a problem with a red spot lighting up to show where you focussed.

Regards,

Peter
    Peter J

OM-D E-M5 E-P3, E-P2, VF-2, M17, M14-42 ll, M12-50, M40-150 Mk2 M74-300 Mk2, Pana M14-42PZ, DMW-MA1, 14-54 ll, 25 pancake, 35, FL50.
    Sony RX100. SonyRX10

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

pjphoto59 wrote:
    ... I also have a more general problem with autofocus: I am never sure where the damn thing has focused itself. This is a particular problem with C mode and with more than one focus point activated. ...
    One solution for your E-1 is to install a split-prism focusing screen. I use a Katz Eye Optics model in my camera all the time. It also has a microprism collar around the split prism center which provides further assistance. It is very easy to tell exactly where the focus point is. As a result, I leave my camera in AF+MF most of the time so I can manually tweak the focus while the shutter button is depressed half way. Like you, I also use only the center focus point for AF.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I fitted an FS-2 screen and find the gridlines invaluable. I had not heard about Katz screens when I bought the FS-2. Best quality Katz screen+gridlines seems pricey at $180 or so....

BTW, I see Oly are bringing out a magnifier to fit the eyepiece of the E300 and E500, which seems like an admission that the got the viewfinder wrong in the first place.

Regards,

Peter
    Peter J

OM-D E-M5 E-P3, E-P2, VF-2, M17, M14-42 ll, M12-50, M40-150 Mk2 M74-300 Mk2, Pana M14-42PZ, DMW-MA1, 14-54 ll, 25 pancake, 35, FL50.
    Sony RX100. SonyRX10

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Really,... I don\'t have the problem that you guys seem to have with the switch. We must be handling our cameras in different ways. I am also quite rough with my E-1, carries it mostly around my neck, and only tucks it away in the bag when transporting myself and the camera. My switch is quite distinct in its positions and something has to firmly push it in order to change its position. In my oppinion, it works perfectly.

Before taking out the toolbox and snapping off the switch, I\'d suggest that you try to figure out how the changing of the switch happens. Maybe the easiest solution is to find the root of the problem and change the way you handle the camera in that particular situation?

I would consider it a step backwards if the next E model couldn\'t be switched with one hand without taking the eye from the viewfinder. A software lock would be OK for those who doesn\'t want to use it dynamically.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I don\'t think anyone is wanting a menu setup but this switch drove me nuts more than any other feature on the E-1. It needs to be locked like every other switch and lever. Heck it\'s the only exception to Oly\'s locked switches - even the mode dial is locked from accidental change.
    I carry the body on my side and it\'s madening but often, and I mean often I bring the body to my eye and try to focus. Nothing. Try it again - nothing - oh! it\'s moved to manual focus again! Grrr!
    Yeah this one bites me all the time and I refuse to break it off or tape it - though I\'ve wanted to break it off in anger several times.
    Just a little button near the switch that you push in before the lever gets flipped and all will be good.
    Where is that E-3! The wait keeps getting longer by the day, doesn\'t it feel that way?
    To find the answers - question them!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

\"My solution is to set S-M in mode 3 and C in mode 6.\"

-- I do this the same way but I find it to be flawed in that you do not get continuous focus to track with this way - only one shot focus. I hope this part gets fixed as well and even better if it were done the way the Canon pro bodies can do it with two buttons on the back where you can program it that one button focuses with one focus point and the other button focuses with another or a set of focus points. Once you get used to it that way it\'s hard to live without it for any moving subjects as you have two sets under your finger for instant selection and you have the best of both worlds where you have focus tracking or not - completely independant of the shutter button.

It\'s the focus thing that will determine if I get an E-3 and continue with Oly for me. I am really, really, really hoping that they get it as good as anyone else this time. I want (and need) nine focus points, small focus points, all nine cross type, focus points located at thirds, reliable focus tracking and full control to set it up any way I need to operate with the back button - especially to focus track that way. Two back focus buttons would be gravy - but the rest I need and I won\'t settle for less. I\'m doing more and more sports ( funny I never liked sports before ) and dog shows. Please Olympus - hear my plea !

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Next summer, June, July for E? I was told last weekend. probably too late for me if I want to keep working. D200 beckons.
    see you agree on the switch, does your head in doesn\'t it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

David, you know how it is going to go. First you will buy into Nikon. And in 6 months be back.
    but I imagine that many are going to leave, who make money with their camera.
    It has been too long for a pro camera, the technology is being developed. Olympus is going to slow.
    I think in 5 years it will be ok. But between now and then. I have my fears.

Even Costco, which is a large consumer store here. Only has Canon cameras on their website, they did have other cameras at one point such as the E-300, and E-500. But now a million Canons... Bad news from one of the largest stores in the USA.
    Tony

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

pjphoto59 wrote:
    ...BTW, I see Oly are bringing out a magnifier to fit the eyepiece of the E300 and E500, which seems like an admission that the got the viewfinder wrong in the first place.
    I don\'t follow your reasoning here. I don\'t see how Olympus did anything wrong with the viewfinder of the E-300 or E-500. With the smallest lens image circle, mirror and image sensor of all the dSLR systems on the market, the viewfinder of 4/3rds cameras will always be smaller than a comparable viewfinder on another dSLR. The E-300 and E-500 are designed for advanced amateurs and it is completely understandable that Olympus would not be able to use the same expensive pentaprism system in those cameras as it uses in its pro E-1. After all, the cameras have to be priced competitively for that consumer/prosumer market.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

tspore wrote:
    David, you know how it is going to go. First you will buy into Nikon. And in 6 months be back.
    but I imagine that many are going to leave, who make money with their camera.
    It has been too long for a pro camera, the technology is being developed. Olympus is going to slow.
    I think in 5 years it will be ok. But between now and then. I have my fears.
    I have no choice unless I wan\'t to loose a 3 year contract, which gets me near retirement, unless Mr Blair ups the level. This job involves a multi national and they just won\'t go with 5mp files. Their people have more pixels than that in their shirt pockets, and that is how they see it despite anything I might say. You could be right I might just hang on to the 11-22 and 50mm. I will check with my supplier to see if he has any news but as of last weekend it was next summer for new model.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Pavel wrote:
    ...I\'m doing more and more sports ( funny I never liked sports before ) and dog shows. ...
    Pavel, it sounds like you need to be shooting video. :laugh: How often do you use continuous AF (C-AF)?

I\'ve used C-AF a few times with my E-1 and I have the battery grip which makes it faster. (C-AF isn\'t very usable without the battery grip.) But I\'ve gotten mixed results with it which makes me not trust it. I used it at an air show a few months ago. The last time I used it was at a football game. I was using my ZD ED 150mm f2.0 and I was amazed how quickly it ran down my grip\'s big battery (my camera stayed in C-AF mode for the entire event). I did get a lot of good shots, though. I only used the center focus point which makes it much easier to get a focus and the focus lock buttons on the 150mm lens make it easy to freeze the focus at any point.

What technique do you use with your 1D?
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well lately I\'ve been doing a lot of sports and dog stuff. I have the 1D set for continuous focus via the back button and the button is programed for the center focus point. The other back button is set to focus with whatever focus point of the 45 or 11 ( custom function here can limit the focus points selected ( but you can still use all 45 even if you are limited to selecting less) to 11 or 9) I\'ve chosen with the dial or all of them if I roll the dial past the last point. THis way I tap the button to focus in the same way as if the body was in one shot focus mode and if it stands still I then take the picture when I choose as the focus button doesn\'t screw anything up when I pull the trigger. Great for recomposing tbw. Then of course if the subject moves I dab the appropriate focus button again to reaquire focus - or keep it mashed to follow the subjet.
    Doesn\'t everyone do it this way
    One of the great things are the custom functions on the focus sensetivity. I can change the speed with which the servo focus changes to another subject in five increments. Very usefull to have it a bit slower for when something gets in the way for a moment. I don\'t want the focus to jump for instance when tracking a rugby player when for a split second someone twenty feet closer moves across the focus point field. I would love to have that kind of thing in the next Olympus- as well as the 1D\'s ability to be set to use only the one selected point or to use 9 or 13 adjacent focus points as well. great when the tracked subject is moving eratically.

The E-1 is a great camera but to draw a pro crowd there will have to be an upping of the \"ante\" in the next Olympus or panasonic flagship model. After all - bragging righs are at stake here - right?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have never looked into the design problems of DSLR viewfinders, but just taking the viewpoint of the user, my old 35mm OM2 gave about a 1:1 magnification with a standard 50mm lens. My E1 also gives 1:1 magnification with a 50mm lens, but unfortunately in 35mm terms that is a 100mm. No wonder we all think we have got tunnel vision! In this respect I find the E300 is worse than the E1. I have not yet looked through an E500, but from my reading of the specification it looks worse than the E300.

I find an FS-2 screen helpful, as it makes it easier to line thigs up on the pokey little screen...

My thoughts about Oly\'s \"afterthought\" magnifier is that if they had paid proper attention to this, it could have been built into the camera in the first place.

Regards,

Peter
    Peter J

Sony RX100. SonyRX10

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

David -
    I understand. It was a few months ago, I bought a E-300 because I lost a job shooting a flyer for a company, because my camera on had 5 MP. It sucks.
    Don\'t loose your contract. Oly has let the pro\'s down. That is a reality in my opinion. Tonight a Nikon friend of mine made fun of my 2 year old out of date camera. I had no response.
    They better come out with something good. And quick. I can\'t believe its not before Christmas.
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

pjphoto59 wrote:
    My thoughts about Oly\'s \"afterthought\" magnifier is that if they had paid proper attention to this, it could have been built into the camera in the first place.
    The E-500 is a consumer camera clearly aimed at the lowest possible price point for dSLRs. Most buyers will only use the viewfinder to see that the camera\'s focusing point is aimed in at the right person or pet anyway. So, I think it is OK that that the extra magnifier can be bought for those who want to focus more critically. Then there is also the VA-1 for studio and macro work.

If that isn\'t good enough - well then it is too bad that Oly haven\'t got the \"next-E\" out yet.

I think the E-500 will sell very good among people making the transition from a P&S and many will jump up from it to the \"next E\" when they have outgrown it.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Pavel wrote:
    The E-1 is a great camera but to draw a pro crowd there will have to be an upping of the \"ante\" in the next Olympus or panasonic flagship model. After all - bragging righs are at stake here - right? [/quote]

wrt \"Panasonic\" DSLR... I really don\'t think pros will jump to panasonic.. So I guess this one will be an amateur level camera as well..
    It\'s all about manufacturer names and their \"virtual\" meaning..
    Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus.. these are the real camera makes.. Panasonic/Matsushita is \"just\" an electronics company to most people..