Thread: Yoroshiku from Northern Japan

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Yoroshiku from Northern Japan

Hi, everybody. I have posted a few times on the "other" board, and the other day Julie (llpoolej) graciously invited me to join this one.

Like Julie, I own a whippet. Two whippets, actually. I got hooked on Olympus 8 years ago, when I bought an Oly P&S for my wedding on Maui. The image quality was so nice that I got the C-770UZ two years ago, and that was even better. However, I found it hard to catch my fast dogs in action, so last year I bought myself an E-500 (14-54, 50-200, FL-36) for Christmas. It was a tough decision between the E-500 and a D-50/70, but in the end it seemed silly to sacrifice the Oly image quality to gain a little speed, so here I am.

I am originally from the U.S. and now live on Hokkaido, Japan. I won't tell you how long I have been here, but in four years I will have lived longer in Japan than in my home country. I mainly teach English as a second language, but I also do a bit of translation and interpreting. I have been very informally studying the culture and language of the Ainu, the indigenous people of Hokkaido, concentrating mostly on their embroidery techniques. I occasionally teach the embroidery and have held a few exhibits with my students.

I probably won't post very frequently, as I shouldn't spend a lot of time on the computer (inner ear imbalance--makes me ill to look at the screen too long). Besides, pretty much all I take is dog photos, and I would hate to bore you all. But I will be lurking, so I just wanted to say hello.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: Yoroshiku from Northern Japan

Yoroshiku!!

Welcome to the forums! There's quite a few people here that enjoy dog pictures so feel free to post them up.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks. I'm glad to know there are quite a few dog lovers on the board. I love your Ariel peanut butter series, by the way.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Welcome. My daughters' grandmother is from there.

I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here.

Ann

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Glad to see you made it over here. I wonder if RayK is here; now if we can only get Higuma to join, we'll have the whole Japan contingent represented.

Another thing we've got in common: I've also been here longer than in my "home" country; I enjoy telling my college students that I've lived in Japan longer than they have.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Welcome to the site. I look forward to viewing your animal photos since I love animals.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by AnnF
    Welcome. My daughters' grandmother is from there.

I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here.
    Thanks, Ann. By "there" I'm assuming you mean Japan, not Hokkaido?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto
    Glad to see you made it over here. I wonder if RayK is here; now if we can only get Higuma to join, we'll have the whole Japan contingent represented.

Another thing we've got in common: I've also been here longer than in my "home" country; I enjoy telling my college students that I've lived in Japan longer than they have.
    Hi, Hokuto. It seems we have a lot in common. I majored in East Asian studies (but on the east coast) and attended an intensive language course in Japan during college, too.

I "spent time" in Okinawa as well, but I never lived there. I try to visit every year or two. It's my favorite place in Japan. I was looking for a job there when I met my husband and got "stuck" here in the Great White North. Brrrr.

It seems like there is a big Okinawa connection on this board. We should all try to meet there sometime. I can't think of a better place to make use of those Oly colors.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac005
    Welcome to the site. I look forward to viewing your animal photos since I love animals.
    Thanks, Marcus. Someday when you're thinking, "This dog, AGAIN?!" just remember: you asked for it.