Thread: Kahlua

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Default Kahlua

I received my "new" FL-36 an hour or so ago. (Thanks Chris!) I snapped it on after reading the User Guide and captured this image of one of my "girls," Kahlua. "S" mode, 1/160 th, f/5.0, 2nd curtain bounced, ISO 100 (is there anything else? ), in RAW and PP'd in RS|P.
    Last edited by Bill_Turner; 05-01-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Kahlua

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Turner
    I received my "new" FL-36 an hour or so ago. (Thanks Chris!) I snapped it on after reading the User Guide and captured this image of one of my "girls," Kahlua. "S" mode, 1/160 th, f/5.0, 2nd curtain bounced, ISO 100 (is there anything else? ), in RAW and PP'd in RS|P.
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but I will say that this looks like a snapshot more than a photograph. I think there's not enough subject separation (though I like the subject). Maybe shot against a white background? Also try diffisuing the light of the flash a bit more- you could even put in some matte white paper in front of the flash.

- Raist

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Good catch. That's exactly what it is! Why is a "snapshot" not a photograph?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Good catch. That's exactly what it is! Why is a "snapshot" not a photograph?
    Usually when people say "snapshot" vs a photograph- in that context, they mean that you took a picture hastily, not much effort put in, and it just looks like one of billions of pictures that a family on a vacation would take of themselves (in the average sense).

You say you just put in the Flash after reading the manual and snap! That points to that :-)

A photograph- in this context - usually means some picture that grabs your attention because of its capture, form, message, angle of view, contrast, subject matter, focus, traces of color- whatever.. there's just "something about it"... some moment.... hard to describe. Most of the time requires skill & effort (thought there's always that luck factor to get one). This is my own subjective opinion of course.

- Raist

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

raist
    While you are certainly entitled to your opinions, your post above contains some implications that, in my opinion, are a bit elitist.
    I think that I hastily posted this image in the "Critique" section as opposed to the "Photo" section.
    FWIW, I've been making "photographs" for over 40 years. Hopefully, over all of those years I developed enough "skill" and have put in enough "effort" to be able to pick up my camera and, within seconds, make a "photograph" that may, indeed, be a snapshot but is, none the less, a photograph.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

well... I happen to like that photo and the presntation a lot. Nice dog Bill.

How did you manage that 3d look of the presentation, like floating on white paper....
    Best whishes
    ~^..^~
    Bear

Thanks
    Feedback Score

raist
    While you are certainly entitled to your opinions, your post above contains some implications that, in my opinion, are a bit elitist.
    I think that I hastily posted this image in the "Critique" section as opposed to the "Photo" section.
    FWIW, I've been making "photographs" for over 40 years. Hopefully, over all of those years I developed enough "skill" and have put in enough "effort" to be able to pick up my camera and, within seconds, make a "photograph" that may, indeed, be a snapshot but is, none the less, a photograph.
    I didn't mean to come arrogant or as a snob. And in fact, I am not talking about you as a person. If you were not looking for a critique, my apologies, I don't expect any less from anyone doing a critique on the pictures I post for review.

I will comment however a bit more on the elitist adjective you used. I think this goes back to where to draw a line and when to call what, what. Is someone thinking that the Mona Lisa by Da Vinci extremely poor taste and bad art nuts? Is someone who looks at a person saying this and tells them "hey, I think your opinion is really way off" wrong? Does the first opinion says more about the Mona Lisa painting or more about the person who made it?

These are honest questions though I will admit I already have some preliminary conclusion. I was merely answering to a question and I think in this context *there is* a difference between snapshot and photograph.

I would be more than willing to explore where- if it shoudl be- this line be drawn. Thanks for your reply.

- Raist

Update: your post made me look at this link for what is considered elitism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitist

"Elitism is a belief or attitude that an elite — a selected group of persons whose personal abilities, specialized training or other attributes place them at the top of any field (see below) — are the people whose views on a matter are to be taken most seriously, or who are alone fit to govern."

I really don't think that the opinion I expressed has anything to do with elitism to be honest. I am not advocating a separation of people and power here, or closing the group to the "select few." What I am doing is answering a question (that now I realize could have been made in sarcasm) about what I was referring to by a snapshot vs a photograph.

I have taken and will take my share of snapshots. This has nothing to do with a critique of the photo. It doesn't matter if you have 1 day of experience or 100 years of photography of experience or anything to do with that. I am directing my description at what was posted, not at you.

Anyway, this is all academic. You already mentioned you didn't mean to put this in the critique section, so sorry for the confusion.