Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anders Uschold Q&A

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Anders Uschold Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by iROK
    "Regarding the complete lens line up they are even unique at this point of time, because they don't give the user the chance to use a film-based lens. Beside some restricted OM adaptions via the adator :-)."

Have you ever used the OM adaptor for any sort of lens test?
    Is it a 'fools paradise' to use such OLD lens designs on Silicon?
    *you can even mount your MD collection on a 4/3 dSLR!

If a 35mm/APS 'hybrid' body was available to Film test the ZD lenses, how do you think they would rate compared to a normal film lenses?
    *would your company be able to sell such test data to anyone?

Do you think a concept of a user changable sensor (for better BW/High ISO/WideAngle)will be seen in the next few years?
    *why can't Olympus upgrade an 5Mp E1 to a 8Mps E1n for $$$...

So i'm a little bit Greedy in asking more than ONE Question.... So shoot me with K64 ;-)
    Hi,

I have used the 4/3-OM adapter. The macro lenses 20mm, 38mm and 80mm worked very fine. Some telephoto lenses showed reasonable results. I haven't gone further.

I didn't know, there would be an adaptor from MD to 4/3. But to be honest, what is a full metal old MC Rokkor in the digital world? This lens needs a full metal body as well as an E-Body needs a lens without focal chromatic aberration :-).

A well designed "digital lens" performs excellent on film as well, as the digital requirements exceed the analogue ones and do not skip one important aspect.

From my experience, an interchangeable sensor doesn't make sense. The bottle necks are not just the sensor, but power management, CPU and ASIC processing performance etc.

There is no way to upgrade a sensor itself. And upgrading more components would not be economical.

Anders

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: Anders Uschold Q&A,on zooms versus single FL lenses

Hi Anders,

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Uschold
    Lens quality is always a matter of price.
    We must get rid to think of photographic equipment of a mean lifetime of two years - a dSLR's mark - and invest our money according to that short time. If we continue like that, we never regard a photographic equpiment as e worthy tool again.
    personally, I have changed from the old habit when one bought an advanced body with a standard zoom and then upgraded the lenses later. Now, with dSLRs that all have the small finesses, my take is to get a stable of lenses that will hold up for several generations of future body upgrades. Since such a setup of lenses is considerably more expensive than each new body, it is important to trust in forward compatibility - and here I hope Olympus will show to be a good horse to bet on.

It is strange... now I consider the body like an expendible over a three-year time frame - the lenses have become the heart of the system. (Maybe it always have been like that but I just realized it myself recently...)

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Anders Uschold Q&A,on zooms versus single FL lenses

Quote Originally Posted by jebir
    Hi Anders,

It is strange... now I consider the body like an expendible over a three-year time frame - the lenses have become the heart of the system. (Maybe it always have been like that but I just realized it myself recently...)

Cheers, Jens.
    welcome to the club :-))

Anders

Thanks
    Feedback Score

No specific question but just a big "thank you" for your wonderfully illuminating replies. I have a very small background in physics (first two years of college, nearly 35 years ago!), but enough to appreciate the clarity of your responses and the obvious depth of your background. Great food for thought.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Uschold
    Hello Ian,

good to hear from you again!

To speak frankly: The US border procedure for journalists is an insult to individual rights and a torture I am not willing to pass. Flight on your own costs to an embassy on the other side of the country, waiting for hours in a waiting room, then being interrogated imbecile questions by some embassy people and a secret service employee named Smith or Jones and then have a 50/50 chance to be admitted, sorry no way!

On the other hand I am also not willing to lie on the immigration form, like almost all international journalists I know do, to enter the country in an acceptaple way by negledging their occupation.

As soon as the officials have turned back to the real good kernel of the American mentality, open arms and friendliness, it will be a pleasure to me to visit this beautiful country again.

In short terms:
    I wasn't at PMA.

From my experince MOS is an improve to CMOD or CCD.

Best regards,

Anders
    Hello again Anders,

I remember on one of my very first work-related trips to the US, I was ushered to an interview room at the immgration arrivals area and asked some questions about my visit. That was probably 20 years ago, but it was only a minor inconvenience - if a bit worrying at the time!

I've been visiting the States regularly since then; probably been on average 1-2 times a year, with no problems since. I invested in a proper media personnel visa last year as I'd heard that the visa waiver programme was no longer adequate for journalists.

Anyway - I'm sure we'll meet later this year; Photokina at the very least!

Ian

Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Wow! That was a good read!

Thanks so much, Anders. Very enlightening indeed.

It was very generous of you to respond so thoroughly to our questions.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default B&W Images from E-1, Anders?

Anders,

I have been trying to create some B&W images but have not been all that pleased with the conversions I was able to do in Photoshop.

I have looked around for information and not found a lot.

I found this one short comment…

Most photography books tell you to use filters for black and white photography, but which ones?
    The red one is too dramatic, the best for still realistic looking images is somewhat between green and red.
    Personally the two I use are the green-yellow filter and the orange-red filter.
    They give fairly close results on skins and skies, but the first one gives white vegetation.

[…at http://www.gdargaud.net/Photo/BlackWhite.html#Digital ]

But then recently I read what was hardly more than an offhand remark YOU made at the end of a post…

And regarding digital B/W photography one thing is as important than this monochrome sensor discussion:
    Use optical filters in front of the lens, as you always did with film, and do not try to imitate them later on the computer :-)!

Could you please share some information re: the use of filters for B&W digital photography.
    As much detail as you would care to go into [or links to other sources of information?] I would be eager to read!
    [e.g. in addition to using certain filters, are there corresponding camera settings required?]

Sincere thanks and best wishes,

Jim DeBardelaben

P.S. My family traces back to Arthur Franz Ferdinand von Bardeleben from Kattenbruch which was somewhere near Hanover and the smaller cities of Rolfshagen, Niedersachsen and Minden [I think].
    I hear that fragmented references to the name in this area go back to the 12th century. Is this name at all common in Germany today? Do you know any of my “cousins”? Btw, somewhere along the line, some of the good German “von Bardeleben’s” got changed to “DeBardelaben’s” Not crystal clear what that was about. But think there must have been a woman involved. :-)