Thread: Photography Basics

CSphoto Guest

Default Photography Basics

Okay folks. I have been in the field of photography for over 35 yrs and have instructed photography for over 25 yrs. When learning the fundamentals about exposure and depth of field beginners can get overwhelmed. I am always searching for better ways of teaching others the basics. Here is a link, that I think, would benefit others in learning some photography basics:

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/the_basics

Enjoy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Photography Basics

Greetings,

If someone is seriously interested in studying the basics and wants a comprehensive book, I usually refer them to "Photography" by London, Upton, Stone, Kobré and Brill. It's been the university-level text for many photography courses for decades. The latest printing is the 8th Edition from 2005. It still includes information about film which I think can be skipped but it does a very good job covering the basics. You can expect to pay around US$90 for a new copy or US$65 for a used copy (hence the requirement for "serious" interest).
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

CSphoto Guest

I just intended to provide some information that might assist a beginner. Not create a debate over which publication or method is best.

You might have said, "yes thats pretty good information but if you wanted to get more information you could obtain a comprehensive book blah, blah, blah!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

No one's debating you. I simply added another recommendation for anyone interested in a more in-depth resource that is still designed to start with the basics.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Now, now, fight nice, boys!

I often wonder whether the average person today who is buying their first "advanced" camera takes the time to learn the basics of photography. The camera companies spend so much time stressing how easy it is to take pictures with their cameras and everything is so automated that there is very little emphasis put on actually learning anything.

There are many good sources of information on this, including both of the suggestions above. Most people at this forum seem to be far beyond the basics. But, for those who are not, you will find your enjoyment of photography will increase and your results will greatly improve the more you learn about photography.

CSphoto Guest

Sorry FirstLight, I am in a cranky mood today.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I think a thread with recommendations for photography books/resources that focus on the basics, plus theory and practice, would be great. Keep them coming please!

As a beginner to SLR, I find that a lot of resources (including the camera manual) assume a level of knowledge that a beginner doesn't necessarily have. For example, I'm fairly adept at using a digital camera, and can quickly figure out how to change the exposure value - but as for why I'd want to do so, and in what types of lighting conditions, and what the effects of that action will be - well, those are things that I don't know, and won't find in the manual either!

I think most people who upgrade to a dSLR from a point and shoot like I did want to learn the basics of photography, and how to take more creative photographs - so these resources are much appreciated.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Like blueridgegirl, I'm a complete newcomer to DSLR photography and know little about the fundamentals. although I am trying hard to learn.

Thanks for the links and advice posted, I'll certainly be looking at them.

One book I have found particularly useful is "The Encyclopedia of Practical Photography" by Michael Freeman.

I picked up a mint condition of the book from eBay for few pounds and it's now well thumbed.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'm with Bill. I like educating, and here's my attempt at the basics:

http://www.wallygoots.com/AlmightyEquation.htm

A careful read of my site and Bill's could go a long way for someone wanting to understand what is under the hood of a picture. Direct, concise, practical, and free. The importance of understanding the basic exposure equation cannot be overstated (imo). Though I have seen a lot of books on the subject of photography, teaching via the internet is very quick and efficient. A great place to start.

Cheers, Seth

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Since we're handing out recommendations for photo books let me throw in "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. While certainly NOT a University level textbook it IS a great learning tool.

Mike
    Photography is a marvelous discovery. A science that has attracted the greatest intellects; An art that excites the most astute minds... ( Nadar)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I tripped over an old favourite at the weekend, in a charity shop.
    Creative Photography, by Michael Busselle. Covers just about everything you REALLY need, aimed at numpties, and therefore basic, and CHEAP!
    It talks film, rather than digital, but the principles are exactly the same...

Hope this helps the UK folks?

Tim
    My ears are grey, my knees are knackered, my eyes are old and bent...

Oly E1 x2 now, both with SHLD-2, 11-22, 14-54, 50-200, EC-14, FL-50, FP-1, various cables, cards etc in a Billingham 335 or Lowe Mini Trekker.

Oly OM-1 x2, OM fit 24/28/35/50/85/135 plus others.

http://catmangler.smugmug.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Although I've been interested in photography for years, I recently did some photography evening courses at my local college in an attempt to improve my photography. I'd thoughly recommend this route to any beginner or anyone who wants to take better pics.

I'd also recommend the Digital Photographers Handbook by Tom Ang, 2004 ed:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...128956-6450207

This covers just about everything from choosing a camera, using it to image manipulation and printing.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Pad, I am in the midst of getting my photography certificate from the U of TN. It has been a great help. I have also joined local clubs and entered local contests. Those traditional things along with the instant feedback of the net, have really taken a sharp learning curve into overdrive

Books, clubs, internet, magazines and classes. Great ways to learn. People are only limited by their desire to learn. So much is out there now.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Smile Re: Photography Basics

I thought I could throw in a couple of links. Surf around in them a lot of the info is very good.

First has a lot of general Photo knowledge:

http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...es/index.shtml

Here's a bunch of general photography info:

http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques....cfm?subject=6

Lots of PS stuff here:

http://www.radiantvista.com/

Having a good time and seeing things is probably the best advice. Bryan Peterson of photographer working more than 30 years said, when asked the question "how long he had been shooting?" answered a bit over 2 weeks since lots of exposures and shots still add up to just a short time since the average click isn't very long.....

Cheers
    Ken
    E1 +SHLD-2, ZD14-54, ZD 50-200, EX-25, VLA-1, Fl-36, B+W Käseman Circ Pol, B+W UV MRC, B+W ND2, Cokin ND grad, Gitzo 2220, Ballhead 1276 and LowePro Dry Zone Rover, Sandisk and Transcend CF cards, PS CS3, Olympus Viewer, MacPro + Cinema display

http://www.ephotozine.com/user.cfm?user=19806

Thanks
    Feedback Score

[quote=Padgreen]Although I've been interested in photography for years, I recently did some photography evening courses at my local college in an attempt to improve my photography.

i agree with the idea of doing a course or courses ... i am a complete beginner (well jan06 anyway) and spent heaps on camera stuff so far but one of the best investments for 1/3 of the price either my 50-200 or 11-22 (which have been the most expensive of my purchases) was an 8 week, 3 hours per week photography course for beginners ... about four weeks in so far and can't speak highly enough of it

i am not saying that the other money would be wasted if i didn't do it, but surely it is a small investment compared to the hardware and add-ons

regards

david
    David
    (Nightboss was one of my dogs)