Thread: I'd better introduce myself rather than rant on the forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default I'd better introduce myself rather than rant on the forum

Hello one and all
    My name is Andy and I live in North West England. I have followed the forum for a while after I bought my E-500 in December. You may have read my post about the weird artefacts thing with the 8mm and E-500 (sorry about that - I suppose I should have introduced myself first). A little about myself: Married, one daughter, self employed (acoustics). I live and grew up in the Lake District in England. Photography has always fascinated me, one of my earliest memories is wondering why I had to stand still and smile with all the aunts and uncles, while someone did something mysterious with a box with a strange piece of glass at the front. I just had to get a closer look at this thing!

I started with SLRs when I was about 16 years old (24 years ago). My first was a manual Praktica, the standard lens was OK towards the centre of the image, but it did some weird things at the edges. Then I worked my way through a Minolta XG-something (really nice lenses in those days) to a Canon A-1. Which I loved.

Then work, marriage, etc. It's been said so many times. Eventually I found myself with a little more time and money and had been keeping an eye on the prices of DSLRs. So I went to my local camera shop with the intention of trying and then buying the 350D (remember my A-1?). I picked it up, rattled off a few shots, and made lots of ummm and errrr noises.

The shop guy said "try this" and handed me the E-500. (Now I have to say at this point, and please don't shoot at me, that I never liked the OM cameras, more accurately, the OM-10. I tried an OM-10 and the sloppy feel to it just put me off). Straight away the E-500 felt "right" in the hand. To cut a long story short I walked out of the shop with the twin lens kit (after paying for it, of course).

I absolutely love the way digital has changed and re-awakened my interest in photography. And now I can bore people all over the world about it as well.

Cheers
    Andy

p.s. I'll post some images as soon as I can work out how to make room in the attachments area.

pps. Managed to clear a little space and posted a flower image in the Photos forum.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Re: I'd better introduce myself rather than rant on the forum

Welcome

Interestingly, I knew an "Andy" from England, who is also an Acoustics expert
    But that was here in Texas.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default Andy - a big welcome!!!

And trust me, now you'll be hooked on the Oly 4/3 gear. Don't even get the bug to pick up the E-1 now that it can be had for a pittance. Many have started with the E500 and then picked up the E-1. It's too late to turn back now - and that's a fact.

So let's start seeing some great images, eh!
    Have a wonderful day!

Bernd (Ben) Herrmann
    Fuquay Varina, NC

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Andy - a big welcome!!!

Welcome Andy.

I agree with Ben, don't be tempted to pick up an E1, you won't want to put it down again!

I also bought an E500 a few months ago and then seen what a bargain the E1 was, so I bought one of those also.

I love using both cameras but there is just something about the E1.

I look forward to seeing some of your images.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Welcome. Like the rest of us I am sure you will soon get an E1 as a trusty back up to your E500. It is also a good place to store an extra lens. And costs much less than I paid for my E500

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Awwww... don't.

I have been trying to resist picking up an E-1 ever since I found out it existed (after I bought the E-500). Seeing the shots on the forum produced by you folks with E-1s, I don't think I'll miss 3 million pixels. Do you?

Cheers
    Andy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hi Andy! Welcome! I am an e-500 owner too. I love it. I am trying to resist the siren call of the bargain e-1 as well....

Glad to have you here and look forward to seeing you around!
    kerry
    OMD-EM10.2 |
    flickr site
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. --Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yes, I often do miss the extra 3mp (I know it sacrilege to say so), and I always miss the big nice LCD, and the somewhat faster focusing. But that is why I keep the E500.

OTOH, $$ for $$ there is not a better deal around than the E1 and it feels soooo goood in the hand. The viewfinder is a real treat after the E500 (my biggest gripe). And if you get the Cameta deal with the power grip you will have a perfect platform for the 50-200.

My only other suggestion is to remember that while the E1 with the good lenses is weather proof, please don't shoot outside in an active thunder storm.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Garry, Kerry, DavyG, Ben

Enough is enough ;-). Since getting the twin lens kit in December, I have added: a 35mm macro (lovely little lens), an FL-36, infra red filter, polariser, etc. A week ago I went crazy and bought an 8mm. Now, I don't earn my living with my camera, and this has got to stop!!

I am going to put all thoughts of another camera body out of my mind (why do I need one? In my film days I always hankered after more bodies so I could keep different films loaded - no need now).

So I will get on with taking the pics and posting a few more on the site. When the weather here in England gets better.

You know - a few lightning shots would be a challenge - eh Garry?

It's great to hear from like-minded people - keep posting.

Cheers
    Andy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Well Andy, it is real nice to have 2 bodies and not have to switch lenses when you are in a hurry !!!! E1's are almost free !!!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Remember....with the E-1

You can take pics in a tsunami !

Carlos

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Almost free... At this rate I'll wait until they are free. Mind you, there is an ad in the latest magazine here in the UK for the E-1, 14-45 and SHLD-2 for 500 pounds (about 940 US dollars).

If it was the 14-54 I might just be a little more tempted (some chance!)

Regards
    Andy