Thread: Arrongant Sob's

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down Arrongant Sob's

Sob ... Sony Over Bearing ... I think it fits.

This poor quality translation got under my skin. There is something of the Sony arrogance in the plans that gets me. I mean they have to buy out a failing company, their first foray into the SLR arena and then bringing out the world ugliest camera they already think they have it (world domination) in the bag. Somehow the part where they think Olympus's efforts in SLR's are no problem to take on and surpass within a short time into second place go me the worst ... and then to think that Nikon will be an easy target to take their following away from them - it makes me think that Sony does'nt get it beyond the level of their current entry. Grrrr. The gall. And after they put out that humble and UGLY thing along with a few rebranded KM lenses? OK a lot of rebranded lenses ... but still.

THere is no way I can stand for Olympus being regarded as some trite chump by these overgrown pansies that haven't proven themselves anywhere.

Here is the interview. I wont be buying any of their bodies ... thats for sure. Just for the attitude.

"In 3 or 4 years we will be able to tackle Nikon, who now is maybe the most affected by our arrival"

To fight for Olympus' third place in the next 18 to 24 months and to take Nikon's second place in 3 or 4 years time. These are the plans for the reflex sector that were revealed to QUESABESDE.COM by Samuel Andreo, director of photographic products for Sony Spain, during the presentation of the Alpha DSLR-A100 in Barcelona. Although Andreo doesn't rule out future novelties like the on-screen preview or the full-frame sensor, the one certainty is that the A100 will be the only SLR from Sony this year. The next one, aimed at the professional, will arrive in 2007. Iker MorŠn.

Many users have the general perception that Sony have arrived late in the digital reflex market.
    Yes, the present market has matured. It was back in 2005 when the digital reflex market experienced a large increase, which in Spain, was as much as 60% in units. What is happening now is we are expecting an increase of 40%, although it's true that the ideal moment was last year.

In this case, maybe the strategy would have been different if we had entered the top of the range market. But as the market is already vast and massive in terms of units, the ideal situation was to enter the mid-range sector. That's to say, tackle the section where there is rotation right now.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Arrongant Sob's

I was going to get the KM 5D. Sony bought them and I purchased the Olympus E-500 instead. The KM 5D would have been better but no one could guarantee I could get lenses and support in the future.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Considering the short time since the "sobs" took over, the A100 must be a 're-branded' KM model that already was in the pipeline. I guess it is the same people working under the sobs now as when they were KM. I see it as 'business as usual' for those at (former) KM but they have to change the name because the sobs have been pumping in millions to the business.

The question is if the sobs can pump in enough Yens to place KM on its feet again and yet profit enough before the market saturates?

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I know a couple people with sony cams. I have not been impressed with their photos. Although who knows what kind of image quality the DSLR will produce, I highly doubt it will be above Olympus well known quality and colors. Yes Sony is getting into the game late, which is a disadvantage. I believe the only people who will buy into the Sony DSLR will be the die hard Sony people who like to have Sony everything.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Arrongant Sob's

Quote Originally Posted by jebir
    Considering the short time since the "sobs" took over, the A100 must be a 're-branded' KM model that already was in the pipeline. I guess it is the same people working under the sobs now as when they were KM. I see it as 'business as usual' for those at (former) KM but they have to change the name because the sobs have been pumping in millions to the business.

The question is if the sobs can pump in enough Yens to place KM on its feet again and yet profit enough before the market saturates?

Cheers, Jens.
    Particularly since they didn't evidently have enough time to put in a MS card slot in addition to CF. Either that, or they have realized MS is a dead-end like Xd/sm and are phasing it out.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Sony could very well pass Olympus into third place, but arenít we comparing apples and oranges here? If market share is the only criteria for success then ANY marketing driven company like Sony could surpass an Imaging company like Olympus! Itís a harsh reality that we live in a world of hype and instant gratification through brand recognition, rather than an understanding and appreciation WHAT you are really purchasing. I for one will stick with a Camera company (Olympus) who has a demonstrable history of consistently producing quality imaging products than go to a Marketing company (Sony) who will use their name to sell anything, and anyone, they choose to buy!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by YYCDave
    Sony could very well pass Olympus into third place, but arenít we comparing apples and oranges here? If market share is the only criteria for success then ANY marketing driven company like Sony could surpass an Imaging company like Olympus! Itís a harsh reality that we live in a world of hype and instant gratification through brand recognition, rather than an understanding and appreciation WHAT you are really purchasing. I for one will stick with a Camera company (Olympus) who has a demonstrable history of consistently producing quality imaging products than go to a Marketing company (Sony) who will use their name to sell anything, and anyone, they choose to buy!
    Well said.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I could possibly see them surpassing Olympus, but I have serious doubts about it, especially with Panasonic (Mass consumer electronics, as Sony is). But Nikon? GET REAL.
    I have a deep respect for Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Leica.
    Sony I will buy if I want a TV, but I was never happy with my F707 image quality.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I look at it more from the point of view of 4/3s, rather than just Olympus on its own. With Olympus, Panasonic, Leica (potentially) and whoever else in future releasing 4/3s bodies and associated lenses, that adds up to something a bit more significant.

I look at 4/3s as the 'system', where I can choose the products that suit my needs and have compatibility no matter from whom I buy the products. That is a strength that should be marketted by OPL et al with great vigour, letting people know that they have a wider choice of products and innovations than by sticking to one brand alone.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This is quite funny - over at Dpreview Olympus users are all bashing the Sony as well. Not withstanding Sony's bravado, why such a vehement response?

For an entry level camera the Sony has got a very good spec, 10 mp, image stablisation and anti-dust, good range of lens including PRIMES. They are supposed to be bringing out a professional camera next year as well. I reckon they will sell.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Whenever a company talks about market share, I sort of doze. If it were important, I mean why did I fall for an E-1 when my cousin in Boston told me I ought to go with the 10D like him.
    Sony has introduced some interesting items in the audio video world, such as the LANC controller. I just say that Mr Morita was the equal of Mr Maitani. Hey, that was pretty arrogant statement...wish they could have duked it out,engineering-wise. Market wise, makes little diff as long as there is the elements of a system as Ray says. And some longevity, well at least 10 years.
    Gerry (SOB.Sweet Old Bodky)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I am not a fan of Sony digital still cameras. OTOH, I don't think anyone who works with professional video equipment would call Sony a newcomer to digital imaging. I realize that no "professional" video cameras take stills and no "professional" still cameras take video that would be taboo (even though almost all consumer cameras do both). Still it is notable that Sony is most definitely a heavy hitter when it comes to professional video anything (along with JVC and Panasonic) and there seems to be an increasing amount of overlap between photo and video as time goes by.

I have often seen scoffing at these companies offerings in photography, punctuated by comments like "Sony should stick to making pocket radios" or "if I want a VCR I'll buy a Panasonic, if I want a camera I'll buy ". Actually, an $80,000 video camera has a fair amount of technology in it, some of it is transferable to still photography. You like high frame rates? How about 30 fps To me Sony consumer cameras are gimmicky. I do think however that digital technology will ultimately profoundly change the way we think about image capturing whether still or moving (or 3D or low light or whatever).

But seriously, the big talk from Sony doesn't really bother me, talk is cheap. I don't think interviews with corporate execs have much credibility, they talk big for a few minutes and then everybody forgets about it. Sony is certainly an innovator, but then so is Olympus. I prefer Oly's approach but then many will prefer Sony's. I am a capitalist, I say "bring it on, let's see what you can do!" And like Pavel, maybe I won't buy just because of your attitude! The first time I heard of a Honda car I thought "don't they just make motorscooters?" but they've done OK, haven't they?

OK, I'm done
    Aloha,
    David

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Years ago Bushnell jumped into the high quality telescope market by buying Dynamax. They informed the world that they would soon own the market by clobbering Meade and Celestron. Well about 18 months later Bushnell exited the quality telescope market leaving Meade and Celestron to duke it out for #1 & 2.
    Sony may pass Olympus. They will not pass Nikon anytime soon, if ever. With pro cameras you can have the best body but it is the whole system and all the support (rentals, overnight repairs, etc) that wins the game. Both Olympus and Minolta learned this lesson the hard way. I can never see Sony giving great support. They don't do it for any thing else they make/sell.
    Even if Sony passes Olympus so what? Didn't Sony pass Oly in P&S digital cameras? Did Olympus then automatically cease to exist? I can't believe Sony only went after #2 Nikon. They aren't happy at #2 in other areas. Sony is a pale copy of what they used to be. Who would have ever thought Sony would have to get Samsung to help them build their TVs?
    thanks
    barondla

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Exclamation With all due respect...

Shouldn't this be in "Chit-Chat"
    There doesn't seem to be, here, anything relevant to Olympus, remember them (?), technical issues.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I would not buy Sony no matter what they sold. I have had nothing but bad experiences with Sony Support on tape drives, computers, etc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mckennma
    I would not buy Sony no matter what they sold. I have had nothing but bad experiences with Sony Support on tape drives, computers, etc.
    And I've had nothing but problems with their audio products (both home and car). I don't own a single Sony product apart from Playstations.

And it just seems weird to see sony branded optics...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Just marketing hype - arrogant companies appeal to arrogant measurebaters.

Let's not forget that this is the same company that moved the 828 to market with a pretty obvious flaw. Arrogance nailed them with Betamax, and is likely to do the same with blu-ray. Memory Stick has been real popular outside of Sony, hasn't it? The P&S's aren't bad but you can tell the photos are from Sony, from the crayon like colors. And the A100? Well, the 7D wasn't exactly setting the photo world on it's ear. Let's see how it does with consumer cam oriented management behind it.

I used to swear by Sony, but after the last three major pieces of Sony equipment I bought failed within two years, (high end VCR, car stereo, video camera) I decided that Sony wasn't worth the extra cost. I just swear at them now.

Isn't this fun?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Arrongant Sob's

Quote Originally Posted by Amateur
    I am not a fan of Sony digital still cameras. OTOH, I don't think anyone who works with professional video equipment would call Sony a newcomer to digital imaging. I realize that no "professional" video cameras take stills and no "professional" still cameras take video that would be taboo (even though almost all consumer cameras do both). Still it is notable that Sony is most definitely a heavy hitter when it comes to professional video anything (along with JVC and Panasonic) and there seems to be an increasing amount of overlap between photo and video as time goes by.
    Sony has been making sensors for quite some time, including the sensor in some of the Nikon and Pentex DSLRs, and of course they've had their line of prosumer cameras, so I doubt you could call them a newcomer to digital photography. While I haven't liked their cameras, they do bring a mass-market consumer savy to the DSLR market that the top 3 players lack.

As the DSLRs moves down the food chain, and is no longer the province of the rich and/or dedicated, Sony probably feels they can move in and take over. I'm reminded of one the classic movie scenes, in Butch Casidy and the Sundance Kid, where the sheriff has gathered the townfolk to set up a posse to chase the outlaws, and then the bicycle salesman steps in and says thanks for building the crowd, and then launches into a spiel for his bicycles.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: With all due respect...

Bill you are right.
    I could spend all day moving threads, I forget at times.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Spain...

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel
    These are the plans for the reflex sector that were revealed to QUESABESDE.COM by Samuel Andreo, director of photographic products for Sony Spain, during the presentation of the Alpha DSLR-A100 in Barcelona.
    Maybe he just means passing Oly and taking on Nikon _IN SPAIN_.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I wish I will not offend anyone, and I declare that I am not going to offend anyone.

Years ago, Sony's slogan is 'The One and Only'
    Today is 'Like.No.Others'
    They put a period between the words....
    then I will understand as ..... Like it? No. Buy others ......
    hahahahaha
    Sorry for the bad joke.......

Thanks
    Feedback Score

My main Sony gripe is the 90 day labor warranty that crept into Sony products. This may have become an industry trend in Consumer Elex and I do not care for that shift. It is Sony baloney...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

An interesting note on DPReview, that they have a production Sony Alpha on test, but it has to be sent back for exposure issues, and they are waiting for a replacement.
    Now did I hear some moaning here because Oly decided to get the E-3 right before release??????
    Cheers,
    Don