Thread: The "black tape" thing...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default The "black tape" thing...

So is this common?

I really have only seen it in poorly filmed movies, when they try and hide the identity of a camera.

I am just curious if others 'round here follow this practice?

As for me, I don't care if people know what kind of camera I have, watch I wear, or car I drive. Just don't take pictures of my kids.

Thx.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: The "black tape" thing...

Hiding the brand and name of your big SLR may help to keep it from dishonest prying eyes and hands. Also, when doing portrait, it keeps the subject's eyes from looking at the camera (if one sees some writing, one can't avoid reading it).
    Check my pseudorandom wanderings on http://undefinedpattern.blogspot.com/ - comments most welcome!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'm proud of my E-1, so don't cover the labels...
    I can understand folk gaffer taping the high wear areas, to protect them, but don't understand the hiding of the camera name?
    Are you ashamed of using an Olympus? Why?
    My ears are grey, my knees are knackered, my eyes are old and bent...

Oly E1 x2 now, both with SHLD-2, 11-22, 14-54, 50-200, EC-14, FL-50, FP-1, various cables, cards etc in a Billingham 335 or Lowe Mini Trekker.

Oly OM-1 x2, OM fit 24/28/35/50/85/135 plus others.

http://catmangler.smugmug.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Ha ha ha. That's funny.

In the pro ranks, manufacturers would give you baseball caps, shirts, etc. to ensure your visibility (and their products) at hi-profile events. Amateurs constantly want to see your gear and ask questions, so you'd be kind of a manufacturer's rep in 'helping them make the right decision'.
    (I've sold a lot of Olys!!)
    Prior to switching from C, I held my own individual protest by blacking out the logo on ALL of my gear; strobes, bodies, lenses and straps.
    You can bet that pissed off the company.
    William Clarke
    Editor/Photographer
    Springdale, NL
    presspics(at)gmail.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer
    And by the way, where do all these amatures live? Or is it just your picture in your imagination of all the amatures?

Regards
    Josef
    That's harsh...
    JULIO

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer
    You can bet they could not care less. I bet that made others even more interested. And by the way, where do all these amatures live? Or is it just your picture in your imagination of all the amatures?

I wonder how many pros have been insulted by amatures? I think most people are very discrete and not really interested in what you have and definitely not asking questions. Maybe with a blacked camera there will be more looks and questions.

Regards
    Josef
    Let me try a simpler version in plainer English.
    When all of us newspaper types are out working assignments, there are always people interested in what we use and why we use it. Since I'm not an unfriendly or unapproachable sort of person, and I don't know anybody who is, I take the time to answer those questions.
    Now, the pro programs exist so the photogs get *better* service and perks, and in return those shooters sing the praises of that brand.
    As markets go, pro gear tends to be out of reach of most people shopping for a digital camera, but what sticks in their minds is the BRAND of equipment.
    And seeing that brand in use by people who DEPEND on their cameras, as the manufacturers spend millions a year to support, just might pull someone into buying that brand.
    (What brand of tires do you have?)
    A few years ago, a lot of us protested CPS en masse by blacking out the brand name on all of our gear. And that upsets manufacturers the same way you would be upset if you saw one of your images being used with no credit. And when I mounted my singular protest I did the exact same thing.
    Yep. When the questions came about the black tape, I got to speak about my protest.
    (Are we communicating yet?)
    It's not about being 'insulted' it's about being aware and not being an idiot - and most of the folks I've chatted with while I'm working understand if I stop chatting, briefly, to do my job.
    And what makes me a professional is very simple; This is how I earn my family's living. I don't have a fallback position as an engineer or any other way to thrive (Well, I could always get a job at a dude ranch!) in this world unless I have a camera in my hand. Like I say, I've been blessed with a wee bit of skill and a lot of gumption so I'm right real proud of what I do.
    And I've helped Oly sell a lot of cameras!!
    William Clarke
    Editor/Photographer
    Springdale, NL
    presspics(at)gmail.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

As I posted in another thread:

I don't understand how covering the markings make the camera look any less appealing to thieves... They still look expensive...
    JULIO

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Talking Re: The "black tape" thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Julio

I don't understand how covering the markings make the camera look any less appealing to thieves... They still look expensive...
    That's why you should green and red tape. And lots of it!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Julio

Leave the tape off. If the thieves are like photographers, they will shun Oly in favour of Nikon or Canon

But seriously, I've never even considered blacking out the brands on my equipment. But then again, where I do most of my photography, there's rarely anybody to see it...

Luc
    Thank you Oly, it's been a good 5-year run!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I rather think the black tape thing has to do with reflections.
    imagine being somewhere where there's lots of glass.. everything else is rather dark.
    the white marking would be very obvious in a picture.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Get off it.

From your attitude, it seems you're mad at the world for whatever it is you're not able to accomplish. Hey, that's not my fault, I've been sharing based upon my experiences - and isn't that what this forum is all about?
    Gee, it's guys like you with a burr under your butt that never go anywhere 'cos you have such a crappy attitude.
    I think it's sad you feel the way you do as I'm always willing, as I've said, to share what little knowledge has been successful for me.
    And I'll continue to earn my living doin' the do and livin' the life.
    But it's like beating my head against the wall trying to be nice and conciliatory - maybe you should come down to earth and not be so quick to flame an opinion that's different from yours.

And nope. I ain't got a 16 hands horse anymore!

Have a great day!
    William Clarke
    Editor/Photographer
    Springdale, NL
    presspics(at)gmail.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

[moderator mode]
    Please play nice kids, otherwise us moderators will show our destructive power..
    [/moderator mode]

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I put black tape on some of my cameras because I think it looks better, really!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Josef, have you ever thought of trying to not be so abrasive? There are ways to say things NICELY. Think about it--you've had "words" with a few people now, myself included. I know you don't care what people think of you, that's fine. But for the sake of our little community here, why not try to be nice?
    JULIO

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Oooops! I forgot!!

I still have a couple of C strobes I use on the E-1's (I find that, even in manual mode, the way the Oly strobes communicate with the cameras, sometimes you can't fire until the strobe recharges - but the C strobes, in manual mode, just keep going.)
    - and they have black tape covering the brand so nobody knows what they are!!

Gee, why sell off perfectly good strobes?
    William Clarke
    Editor/Photographer
    Springdale, NL
    presspics(at)gmail.com