Thread: Received New Leica Literature Today

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Received New Leica Literature Today

showing their most recent cameras and with a lot of technical data.

Leica Digilux 3 is made in Germany. Looks like a cross between a Leica M series rangefinder and the Panasonic L1. Is a 4/3 camera with the E-330 7.5MB LiveView sensor. Same LCD display on the back as the L1 has and is LiveView capable. Has the viewfinder and diopter adjustment of the E-330. Shown with the Panasonic/Leica 14-50mm OIS zoom lens so probably can take full advantage of OIS. Has Olympus dust removal system. File formats=RAW, JPG, DPOF. ISO=Auto, 200, 400, 800, 1600. SD card storage. Price at B&H Photo with 14-50 OIS lens is $2499.95US.

Leica M8 is German made, both lenses and body. Sensor is 10.3MP and dimensions are 18x27mm so is somewhat like the old Olympus half frame cameras. Aspect ratio=3:2. Data formats are Adobe DNG or two JPG compressions, 16 bit color. Color spaces: Adobe RGB, sRGB and ECI RGB. ISO=160-2500, I don't know in what steps. Viewfinder is typical Leica M series with parallax compensation. Rangefinder uses both split image and superimposed image (don't know what this is) for maximum precision. LCD on the back appears to be the same as the Leica Digilux 3 (or Panasonic L1.) Shutter speeds: 32 seconds-1/8000 second. Lens mount is Leica M bayonet so all Leica rangefinder lenses fit. USB only computer interface. Can be controlled from computer with included Leica software. Storage medium: SD card up to 4MB. Interestingly, there is no mention of a dust removal system on this camera. No price announced yet.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: Received New Leica Literature Today

Thanks E B for the update.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Bob,

and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    Leica Digilux 3 is made in Germany.
    makes me wonder what the definition for "made in" is...?

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ahh, well I can't answer for that. The image of the camera clearly showed the country of origin marked as Germany though. The actual wording is, "Leica Camera Germany" on the body at the bottom of the LCD screen.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That'd be correct, since Germany (Solms) is where the Leica Company is located. But I think you'd find "Made in Japan" on the bottom plate containing the serial number of the unit. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    enjoy being here while getting there

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well, that could be. There are pictures of the front, back and top of the camera but not the bottom. The lengthy article does not explicitly say where the body is made but the name Leica seems to pop up in every third or fourth sentence. They are really trying hard to sell the camera on Leica's past reputation. I still expect (sadly) Leica to go under. German labor costs are killing it and I don't think it can survive even as a niche brand. Things have changed very much since the Leitz name was attached to it.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I would be a shame if Leica went under. Hopefully their scientific optics division keeps them afloat. I recently bought a Leica Stereo Microscope at work for electronics assembly (4500$!), and it is truly superb.

Luc
    Thank you Oly, it's been a good 5-year run!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Isn't the camera division a completely separate corporation now? If I remember correctly, when the camera division began to experience significant financial difficulties the first time the company was split up and various pieces sold off. Completely separate corporations now just sharing the old Leica name.

http://www.leica.com/index.html
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

All Leica seems to do outside of their Leica only products, is to exchange optical technology with Panasonic. Out of this deal, Panasonic gets to put the Leica name on its (also Lumix branded, look closely at the 14-50) optics. Leica gets to rebrand Panasonics as Leicas, even when they are made by Panasonic. The P&S and Four Thirds Leica line seems to me as nothing but rebranding Panasonic efforts, with marginally tweaked firmware, often a better looking (albeit a bit function follows form) industrial design, and a better warranty service. It's mostly a bit of optical illusion. The only real digital Leica lines are the R back and the M8. And both took ages in the making. So I guess there's nothing wrong with all this, since Panasonic gets to be associated with an accomplished photo brand, and Leica gets to put out new products at the necessary pace in an evolving technological landscape, that they couldn't put out at this pace if they had to do it alone. The earnings in this rebranded line help them to put out their own stuff which I still admire a lot.
    enjoy being here while getting there

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well, I'm an owner of one of Leica's SLRs, four prime lenses, one set of Ultravid binoculars and am a former owner of one of their rangefinder cameras. I find it somewhat disconcerting that the Leica name can now go on optics they don't make and I don't really consider them to be Leica equipment. For me, it considerably dilutes the value of the Leica name.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob