Thread: Monitors: go with 2x20-inch or a single 24-inch

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Monitors: go with 2x20-inch or a single 24-inch

It seems Dell has their widescreen monitors on special again today (well, in Canada at least), as happans every couple on months. I'm really thinking of moving fom CRT to LCD this time.

I don't thnk a single 20" monitor will be large enough for my needs. I currently use a 20" CRT at 1920x1440 resolution, and is 1680x1050 of the 20" is significantly lower.

Buying two 20" monitors is significantly cheaper than a single 24" (2x299$ vs. 749$, all CAN$), but I've never used two widescreens side-by-side and I'm not certain that an ultra-wide desktop arrangement would work very well. Has anyone tried it?

The 24" looks tempting, but I have seen it for a few dollars less before (729$ I think).

Thanks!

Luc
    Thank you Oly, it's been a good 5-year run!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Monitors: go with 2x20-inch or a single 24-inch

All I can say is that once you've enjoyed a dual monitor setup, you'll never want to get back to a single screen. Unless it's a monster 30" panel
    Check my pseudorandom wanderings on http://undefinedpattern.blogspot.com/ - comments most welcome!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Luc,
    Dual, definitely! My deskspace needs to be expanded. I'm using a 19" Dell and a 15" Sony. Images are on the Dell and the "junk" is on the teeny monitor. I'd love to go to 2x20" but current geography won't allow it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

Dunno. Here at work I use a dual monitor rig and the bar down the middle is a royal PITA. I'd much rather have a single widescreen and I'm pestering the PTB to get me one.
    John

-- Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Yeah, that's what attracts me to the 24". It's funny, because every time this sale comes up, I can never decide and I just keep on using my CRT.

By the way, I love your signature Tom. Brings me back to those calculus classes where we were integrating complex functions and ended up with resulting functions in 4 dimensions

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Luc, the new 2007FPW monitors are not as good as the old 2005FPW monitors. I highly suggest not getting these 20" wide monitors. The 24" is still a Samsung LCD so I suggest you go that route.

It's scary how I paid $600 for the 2005FPW when I bought it during a DELL Days deal.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Actually, the 20" in question is the E207WFP, it was just intriduced a few weeks ago.

Luc

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I have few suggestions:
    first make up your mind what do you want to get with high resolution:
    do you want to have high resolution to display photo in the highest possible resolution in 4:3 ratio?
    If that is the case, then calculate, what each option is giving you, and based on that decide.

For example, I'm running 20" but 4:3 (not wide screen) monitor, and 15" 4:3 monitor.
    So on 20" I'm gettign 1600x1200 resolution and that one is reserved strictly for the photo.
    On the 15" is everything else - palletes etc etc.

Now, if you get 24" which is 1900x1200, and run it as I do then you'll have:
    1600x1200 for the photo, and 300x1200 for the palletes, which should be fine.

BUT if you running 2 20" WIDE screens, then you'll have only 1440x1080 on ONE screen, plus 200x1080 on that scren for the rest PLUS whole other screen for what?

So, if you plan to use monitors like I'm then 2 wide screens are completely meaningless (ok almost completely).

Hope this helps.
    Yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by syntaxerr0r View Post
    All I can say is that once you've enjoyed a dual monitor setup, you'll never want to get back to a single screen. Unless it's a monster 30" panel
    Hi syntaxerr0r,

I went back to a single. I used to have a dual monitor setup that provided a total desktop area of 3200x1200 pixels!!! I switched to a single 24-inch widescreen with 1920x1200 pixels. I'm much happier with the single monitor.

Why the switch? Because I mostly used the second display for tool palettes when using Adobe software (Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2, InDesign CS2, Acrobat Pro). It was very rare that I spanned both displays with a single window (the only exception was some of Microsoft's development tools). So the second display was rarely used fully. Most of the time I probably used only 1/3 of it for the tool palettes.

Switching to the single 24-inch widescreen gave me just enough room for the tool palettes without giving up any image area. It draws less power. It takes up less desk space. It is easier to maintain color calibration. And it handles widescreen content much better than a 4:3 display can.

I agree that a 30-inch widescreen display is the "best" if you have the room. But it also requires a special video card with dual-DVI outputs so that it can drive two ultra-high resolution data streams simultaneously (it is divided into two "virtual" 1280x1600 pixel halves because of its extraordinarily high total resolution of 2560x1600 pixels). The last time that I checked the prices of these video cards, they were between US$400-500. By the way, you could also use them to run a dual monitor setup with two 24-inch 1920x1200 pixel displays. That would give you an incredible 3840x1200 or 2400x1920 pixel desktop (depending on wether you use the monitors horizontally or vertically).

There's a reason to hold off on an expensive monitor purchase like a 30-inch if you don't need it yet. There are new LCD backlighting technologies coming to the market soon. One is an LED backlight that not only uses less power (big monitors like the 24-inch and 30-inch widescreens draw a lot of power and generate quite a bit of heat) but it is also supposed to provide a wider color gamut and have a longer operating life.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RFMan View Post
    Actually, the 20" in question is the E207WFP, it was just intriduced a few weeks ago.

Luc
    Ah, I didn't notice that. Great deal then.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I would go with a larger single unit. I recently picked up a new 19" dell lcd but when you get a dell you've go to be wary of picking one with a screen other than the samsung panel.

I believe the same model comes with 3 different panels. Make sure you get the samsung panel like I did.

The way to find out is to go to the menu of the lcd and then to factory settings and the samsung panel will have the "smg" code.
    E-1 w/14-54, ZD 50-200, FL40, C750UZ, (For Sale - Wcon07, Tcon17, CLA4 adapter) in GTA area

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by First Light View Post
    There's a reason to hold off on an expensive monitor purchase like a 30-inch if you don't need it yet. There are new LCD backlighting technologies coming to the market soon. One is an LED backlight that not only uses less power (big monitors like the 24-inch and 30-inch widescreens draw a lot of power and generate quite a bit of heat) but it is also supposed to provide a wider color gamut and have a longer operating life.
    That might be worth watching out for then. I also heard Canon was developing a new flat display technology which is a hybrid between an LCD and a CRT. Lke CRT, phosphors are used to breate the image, but instead of using an electron gun to stimulate the phosphors, each phosphor "pixel" has its own high-voltage transistor. The contrast and response time should surpass all current LCDs, but it might be a few years until the technology hits retail.

Luc

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have dual Dell Ultrasharp 2007 monitors, on an Ergotron stand (you gotta do the stand!). I run them both at 1600x1200. I have clients that have the 24inch -- it is a nice monitor too, but I prefer the added screen area. To me, I like having the dual -- I can run Photoshop or DreamWeaver on one, and then use the other for a browser or preview. I really like the setup I have....

I don't notice the "line" -- I dont run my apps to span the windows as 1600x1200 is usually enough roon to do what I am doing.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I recently bought the 24" Wide screen, and it is heavenly! The built in memory card reader and the 5 inputs VGA, DVI, S-Video, Component and Composite are nice bonuses too.

This Dell 24" is B-E-A-Utiful, and thats all. the amazing thing is that the viewing angle is practically as good as a CRT. The image looks the same from most anywhere. And it's really bright too. The brightest LCD I have seen.

And unlike the 20", they have worked all the bugs out of the 24" model.

Jamie

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Well, the deal is over and I haven't bought anything finally... I think my Samsung CRT still works well enough for my needs, and I have a smaller LCD (cheap TN panel) for my toolbard and iTunes, so I'll stick with that for a while longer.

I think I'll keep the money towards a trip down south this winter instead

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RFMan View Post
    ... I also heard Canon was developing a new flat display technology which is a hybrid between an LCD and a CRT. Lke CRT, phosphors are used to breate the image, but instead of using an electron gun to stimulate the phosphors, each phosphor "pixel" has its own high-voltage transistor. The contrast and response time should surpass all current LCDs, but it might be a few years until the technology hits retail.
    Hi Luc,

The technology you are describing has been largely discredited. It's a shame because I had high hopes for it, too. The problem is that the phosphers are not scanned like a traditional CRT but are energized nearly continuously and this burns them out prematurely. Evidently, the prototypes didn't last long and engineers have not yet found a solution.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...