Thread: Batch processing RAW???

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Red face Batch processing RAW???

Hello 4/3 folk,

I keep reading that people want to batch process RAW photos. I'm confused. Unless you have the opportunity to expose a lot of photos in EXACTLY the same lighting conditions, what is the point? Here are situations that I can envision batch processing RAW:

Studio lighting. One meter reading. Dozens (or more) exposures.

Consistent outdoor lighting. One meter reading and multiple exposures. The sun, clouds, and camera position do not change during the session.

I'm sure there are other situations, but in general, it seems to me that a RAW image needs tender loving care to bring out its true potential. Batch processing seems inconsistent with that requirement. If you batch process a wedding, for example, why not just use in-camera JPG? Educate me please.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Batch processing RAW???

Not quite. Work flow can improve even when you need to adjust shots individually. But take bulk shots first. When I shoot a lot of sports photos, I first tag all the shots I want to process and then look at what needs to be adjusted. Usually it's just a minor tweak in exposure and maybe a small touch of contrast. I can select all the tagged images and then apply the same adjustments (or parts thereoff) to all tagged images. Then I simply batch process all the tagged images.

The same pretty much applies to shots that I will adjust individually. I tag the shots that I want to process and then adjust as necessary. Once all the shots have been adjusted, I batch process all the tagged images. It makes things much easier and saves time by not going through the process stage individually each time.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Experience

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    Not quite. Work flow can improve even when you need to adjust shots individually. But take bulk shots first. When I shoot a lot of sports photos, I first tag all the shots I want to process and then look at what needs to be adjusted. Usually it's just a minor tweak in exposure and maybe a small touch of contrast. I can select all the tagged images and then apply the same adjustments (or parts thereoff) to all tagged images. Then I simply batch process all the tagged images.

The same pretty much applies to shots that I will adjust individually. I tag the shots that I want to process and then adjust as necessary. Once all the shots have been adjusted, I batch process all the tagged images. It makes things much easier and saves time by not going through the process stage individually each time.

Cheers

Ray
    Hey Ray,

It seems that your RAW batch processing relies upon experience to select images that need similar adjustments. Correct?

I suppose if you select an incompatible batch, you can try again as long as the original RAW files are available.

I think I'll have a beer.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Experience

Quote Originally Posted by James Pilcher View Post
    Hey Ray,

It seems that your RAW batch processing relies upon experience to select images that need similar adjustments. Correct?

I suppose if you select an incompatible batch, you can try again as long as the original RAW files are available.

I think I'll have a beer.
    With Capture One, I can fairly easily pick which photos require similar levels of adjustment, or different levels of adjustment. It's still faster to adjust individually and move on to the next photo and so on, and then batch process the lot.

From a shoot, I usually have from 4-6 separate folders which contain the day's tasks. I start in one folder, do all the changes and select batch processing and then go into the next folder and do the same, while the previous one is converting.

Once you get used to it, things go very fast. I can sort, select and process up to a 1000 photos (culled down to around 50 or so) in less than an hour.

A beer is calling, but that will have to wait until later.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My Take on Batch processing is a little different than you have outlined here.

With All RAW images, you will probably want to work on the raw image to acheive what you are after. Once you have set up the image paramaters, then you "Batch Process" the raw files to produce your output image.

Depending on the Raw tools you choose to use and the workflow, you may have an option to apply the same setting to a range of images, and this could be considered to be a batch process as well.

I am not sure what RAW converter you use, but it may be worthwhile to read http://tiniuri.com/f/Uq this is the RAW workflow from RawShooter and possibly will answer the questions you are asking.
    About Bob

Daily Photoblog and Photography Blog

Need somewhere to host a photo - Free Image Hosting

E-3, HLD4, E300, HLD3, ZD11-22, ZD 14-45, ZD14-54, Sigma 30 f1.4, ZD35 Macro, ZD40-150(orig), ZD50-200, EC-14 and EX-25, fl-36.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The batch processing that I was referring to was converting RAW to TIFF/JPG, not the adjustment RAW files.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

that is also my take on batch processing raw - just that - telling the raw converter to process this batch of raw files into jpg/tiff images.

Preparing the image to be processed is not something I consider a "batch job", just part of the raw workflow.

( I got held up at work and was delayed posting my original message )
    About Bob

E-3, HLD4, E300, HLD3, ZD11-22, ZD 14-45, ZD14-54, Sigma 30 f1.4, ZD35 Macro, ZD40-150(orig), ZD50-200, EC-14 and EX-25, fl-36.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Batch convert?

Quote Originally Posted by shrinkpictures View Post
    My Take on Batch processing is a little different than you have outlined here.

With All RAW images, you will probably want to work on the raw image to acheive what you are after. Once you have set up the image paramaters, then you "Batch Process" the raw files to produce your output image.

Depending on the Raw tools you choose to use and the workflow, you may have an option to apply the same setting to a range of images, and this could be considered to be a batch process as well.

I am not sure what RAW converter you use, but it may be worthwhile to read http://tiniuri.com/f/Uq this is the RAW workflow from RawShooter and possibly will answer the questions you are asking.
    Am I understanding correctly that you will apply individual changes to a group of images and then let the RAW processor convert them as a "batch?" That would certainly save time. I use Olympus Viewer. My understanding is that I'd have to move to Studio or another raw processor to operate in that manner. Is that true? It might be worth the expense.

I guess it's time to consider a raw processor that will improve my workflow. I've slowly come to realize the very real advantage of having a raw image file from which to start. The ability to work with the photo after the fact is too big a plus to make me go back to the jpeg world.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I just added Studio to my list of items for sale in my "Clearance" thread in buy/sell.
    JULIO

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Batch convert?

For several months, I just shot jpg, because I couldn't find any software that I could come to terms with for the raw workflow. Once I found RSE, then later RSP, It all came together for me. The tools afforded within RSP are such that it is all I use for about 98% of my images - I sometimes need to use it to process a TIFF for further work but that is a rarity.

there is only 1 little hitch -RSP is no longer available to purchase they sold out.
    About Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Am I understanding correctly that you will apply individual changes to a group of images and then let the RAW processor convert them as a "batch?" That would certainly save time. I use Olympus Viewer. My understanding is that I'd have to move to Studio or another raw processor to operate in that manner. Is that true? It might be worth the expense.

I guess it's time to consider a raw processor that will improve my workflow. I've slowly come to realize the very real advantage of having a raw image file from which to start. The ability to work with the photo after the fact is too big a plus to make me go back to the jpeg world.
    That's gist of it. You can do a bunch of individual adjustments, group adjustments or whatever. Once you're done, you simply batch process the whole lot. It really does save an awful lot of time.

Despite some shortcomings, I still stick with Capture One because it has the best workflow of any RAW processor I've found to date.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

you can do that with Studio, but it isn't the best converter for that kind of batch work..... it is ok if you want to make individual adjustments to 10 or 15 images and then batch, but if you plan to make individual adjustments to 100 images you will go crazy with its slowness...

Studio works best as batch converter when you just sort into a couple of groups and apply settings on group basis... the upside is that you don't NEED to make individual adjustments to all your images if you use Studio.... the downside is that it is a terrible converter if you WANT to make individual adjustments to every image...

if that is what you want to do, then you might be better waiting for Studio 2 - I have no inside info, but I'm betting it will be released when new batch of cameras are released...

otherwise take a look at Silkypix - you can test the new beta version free right now.... colors are probably closest to Studio and workflow is pretty good - once you figure out the Engrish language...

my favorite converter for both quality (fantastic tonal rendering) and speed/ease of use is Raw Developer - but it is mac only...
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I use a two-stage tactic when processing my E-300 shots (using Silkypix). Only the developing is truly batched, but it speeds up the work.

1. On any group of photographs taken under generally the same conditions (for example, I shot a bunch at Yasukuni Shrine two days ago, mostly under the same overcast sky), I start out by doing one average looking photograph, not only making all those adjustments that may be unique to this frame (exposure, contrast, color), but also those that will probably be shared by all in the group (NR, WB).
    2. I then copy/paste those parameters to all the shots in the same general group. I then move to the next photograph in line in the group, looking at the result of the pasted parameters and making adjustments as necessary.

I also flag for deletion any shots I want to get rid of. When done, I first delete the flagged shots, then on thumbnail view do a select all and hit F8 to flag them for development.

This is admittedly still a frame-by-frame process, but it prevents me from having to manually input every single element each time, since some will obviously be shared no matter what.

Anyway, I can't imagine real batch processing of numerous photographs unless they were totally unimportant to me. Anything I feel is worth saving I feel deserves independent treatment.

Final stage of course is the batch development itself; I usually go out and walk the dog or read a book while that is proceeding, although I can be done in the background if you're not doing too much other processor-intensive work.