Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zuiko 8mm Fisheye The Good & The Bad

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Zuiko 8mm Fisheye The Good & The Bad

I have checked out a number of great shots from the 8mm Fisheye and more and more I am thinking about getting one to add something different to my weddings and other jobs.

I am interested to hear all the good and all the bad about the lens. Not just performance issues (good and bad) but your personal feelings about the lens and if you liked your shots or not.

I am toying with the idea of selling my Zuiko 50mm F2 to help buy the lens.

Thanks

Kelly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Needs a skilled photographer

Quote Originally Posted by KellysCayman View Post
    I have checked out a number of great shots from the 8mm Fisheye and more and more I am thinking about getting one to add something different to my weddings and other jobs.

I am interested to hear all the good and all the bad about the lens. Not just performance issues (good and bad) but your personal feelings about the lens and if you liked your shots or not.

Thanks

Kelly
    The lens is very specialized. It needs a skilled photographer to make it shine. Put it on your camera and use only that lens for a couple of weeks. That will help you immensely.

I still toss over 95% of my fisheye photos. The ones I keep can be interesting though.

For my money, the fisheye is a better choice than the 50mm. But I'm not big on macro photography.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Zuiko 8mm Fisheye The Good & The Bad

Sweet shot, Jim.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: Needs a skilled photographer

Very cool Jim!

I agree its very specialized. I am not interested in it for landscapes, unless under a rainbow, but I know several times at a weddings I wish I had one just so I could try it out.

What is a problem for me is, I live in a part of the country where there is no place to rent one so trying before I buy is tough!

I am looking for something to give my images a different look and feel. I have the fast glass with the 35-100mm F2 and I have the 50-200 and the 14-54. The Sigma 30mm F1.4 is interesting but I get a shallow enough DOF with the 35-100mm F2.

I expect the people that have the Fisheye really love it so in the end its just going to make me want it more!

Kelly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

As stated, you really have to understand and work this lens to get the best out of it and if you intend to use it for things like weddings, you have to be really careful how you position the subjects.

These two shots were from a local annual festival and I decided to use the 8mm because of the cramped conditions. I didn't mind the shots, but the newspaper reporter for the story wasn't overly pleased; however, they were published as is anyway (the guys in the first shot were about a foot taller than I am):

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I would highly recommend that you keep the 50mm lens as it is still one of the sharpest lens that I have ever used and it is a handy lens to have at weddings to take candid shots under low light situation.

As for the 8mm, it was a little difficult to handle the lens at first but soon enough you will get the hang of it. I shoot regularly with the 8mm and it has become my "walk about lens" sometimes, when I am in the wicked mode.

Here are some sample pictures I have taken with the 8mm when I was in Melbourne.

"A picture, like character, is developed in darkness"

E-M5, E-3, E-5 + HLD-4, 8 Fisheye, 12-50mm, 17mm, 12-60mmSWD, 14-54mm, 50mm macro, 50-200mmSWD, FL-36R, FL-50, VA-1 & XZ-1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I used it once and sold it away. I have the 7-14mm and prefer it over the Fisheye. PF is apparent under certain conditions but it's definitely a fun lens, though I'm not sure how often you will shoot with the FE as it is not a lens that you can just take out and shoot under any circumstances.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I can see why some people don't like the Fisheye effect but the kind of places I am thinking of shooting it will make a very cool and different feel to the image.

I have played with a friends fisheye on his Nikon gear when assiting him on a couple of weddings and I got some great stuff. This is what really helped me think I wanted to get one.

As for keeping my 50mm F2, I am on the fence but I never use it. When I am taking closeup or marco shots of the rings the 14-54mm does a great job. As for low light coverage I have the 35-100mm F2 so I am covered.

I could see me selling it now and getting it again later but then I think the 14-35 F2 would be a better lens for my needs when its released.

I am not looking to make this a lens I use all the time, its a speciality lens for special situations at weddings and events for something different.

Its also one part marketing to put something different on my site.

Kelly

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I initially dismissed any notion of owning this lens as I felt that it was too specialized (I don't take skateboard photos), but after I saw some posts by Ozray, I realized the potential of this lens. Now, having owned one for a while, I find it indispensible for aircraft interiors (small niche, indeed) but very usable for just walking around. For me, part of the fun of photography is seeing things in a different way than I would otherwise, and the 8mm Fisheye facilitates that notion superbly. It does take technique, or in my case luck, to get really good shots, but I think based on your posts that you will do just fine.

I did a search at Smugmug for their Fisheye galleries, where fisheye images, both good and bad, abound:

http://www.smugmug.com/search/index....rchType=global

I'll bet you'll love that lens.

Rocky

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I can see why some people don't like the Fisheye effect but the kind of places I am thinking of shooting it will make a very cool and different feel to the image.

I have played with a friends fisheye on his Nikon gear when assiting him on a couple of weddings and I got some great stuff. This is what really helped me think I wanted to get one.

As for keeping my 50mm F2, I am on the fence but I never use it. When I am taking closeup or marco shots of the rings the 14-54mm does a great job. As for low light coverage I have the 35-100mm F2 so I am covered.

I could see me selling it now and getting it again later but then I think the 14-35 F2 would be a better lens for my needs when its released.

I am not looking to make this a lens I use all the time, its a speciality lens for special situations at weddings and events for something different.

Its also one part marketing to put something different on my site.

Kelly
    Good point. I think in your case, the 50mm should go.
    "A picture, like character, is developed in darkness"

E-M5, E-3, E-5 + HLD-4, 8 Fisheye, 12-50mm, 17mm, 12-60mmSWD, 14-54mm, 50mm macro, 50-200mmSWD, FL-36R, FL-50, VA-1 & XZ-1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I wonder if you could invest a few buck in one of the el-cheapo fisheye adaptors that screw onto the front of lenses to get a feel for how the real deal might work without having to plunk down a big wad of cash.

You might be able to work out a deal with someone to borrow their Oly via fedEx/UPS if your karma is good enough....
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have checked out OM fisheyes since I have the adapter but I figured if I was going to shell out $250 (the only ones I could find) for some thing from Russia I would just save up and get the Zuiko digital glass.

I have tried a screw mount lens in the past, not fisheye, but I did not like the extra weight on the end of the camera.

But if someone knows of something super cheap I could try I am all ears!

Kelly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Greg McClosky (sp) AKA daddyo over at DPReview has used a Raynox FE adapter on his E-20s when he was using them with good results. I almost bought one just prior to the switch to the E-1.
    I have the 8mm FE and use it quite a bit. It does take a bit of practice but the results can be fantastic.
    Like you, the images posted by OzRay and, over at DPR, Big Ga, sold me on this lens.
    As you're a wedding photographer, I think that this additional tool will enhance your arsenal for making the "unusual" images for the portfolio.
    Currently mounted on my 2 E-1s are the 11-22 and the 8mm. The 14-54 resides nearby in the bag and, for "long," I'm still using the 40-150 which provides me with very good results. I'd like the 50-200 and will, someday, have one.
    As for the 50mm, I'd have no use for it. I'm not a macro shooter and don't care for this focal length for portraits. I prefer a focal length, in Oly terms, of about 40mm or 67.5mm. The 40-150 covers that quite nicely.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

For super wide photos would this actually be best? Do you guys ever use software to straighten out the photos?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjordan View Post
    For super wide photos would this actually be best? Do you guys ever use software to straighten out the photos?
    The gotcha is if you straighten em, you lose a lot of the superwideness. Keep the fisheye as an art lens and leave the curves alone, IMO.

In search of super-duper-wideness a 220 degree circular fisheye on fourthirds would be pretty cool, though simultaneously highly eclectic and hard to justify. Very expensive glasses are required to implement one as an apochromat, too.

Dare I even mention it in a fisheye thread, but stitching can give you 360 degrees (and beyond!) and is cheap like borscht...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Zuiko 8mm Fisheye The Good & The Bad

Thanks

Kelly
    Do you know the local Olympus sales or technical rep? I was at a photo safari last weekend where they had a bunch of E-410's and E-510's for people to try, and some exotic glass (I tried out the 35-100mm and 90-250mm). I asked about the fish and 7-14mm, but they didn't have them there. The Olympus technical rep offered to send me the lens for a week or so to try it out (hey, they've seen me at the local photo store the last couple of times). Maybe you can borrow the lens for a wedding.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cisaaca View Post
    I would highly recommend that you keep the 50mm lens as it is still one of the sharpest lens that I have ever used and it is a handy lens to have at weddings to take candid shots under low light situation.

As for the 8mm, it was a little difficult to handle the lens at first but soon enough you will get the hang of it. I shoot regularly with the 8mm and it has become my "walk about lens" sometimes, when I am in the wicked mode.

Here are some sample pictures I have taken with the 8mm when I was in Melbourne.

There's a significant amount of CA in this shot. Do you ever try and remove it in software, or just live with it?
    A member of the rabble in good standing.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post
    There's a significant amount of CA in this shot. Do you ever try and remove it in software, or just live with it?
    Software won't help much recovering the zuiko 8mm CA, since it is more of a fringe effect.
    Just avoid like the plague overexposed area with this lens and it makes great photos.
    Wouldn't be for the fringe it would be an extraordinary great lens.
    I got it, and sent it back after few days.
    Got a Peleng 8mm instead, and I'm way happier with that: way softer but the CA is much better which is the most important thing for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What about the 8mm russian lens on ebay? what is that 8mm fisheye like? Its called zenitar. 170 bucks....anyone have one?

EDIT: its actually 16mm....is that one any good?
    shooting fuji X10 and X-S1 at the moment.

Soon to have an e-3, e-30, e-620 and e-410 bodies with a bunch of glass. I can't wait to be back with the E-System.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Steve,

16 mm is a fill frame fisheye when used on 35 mm-format cameras. When used on a 4/3 camera, the 2x crop factor makes it just very distorted 16 mm wide-angle lens (32 mm in 35 mm terms). So, can not recommend it for anything.

The 8 mm Zuiko Digital and the Peleng are both full-frame fisheyes in 4/3.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

thanks, I have seen some pics from the 16mm zenitar on a 500, and they actually looked ok...but not fisheye. and the peleng, very very nice pics as well...i may just pic up both.....until I can afford the 8mm zuiko.
    shooting fuji X10 and X-S1 at the moment.

Soon to have an e-3, e-30, e-620 and e-410 bodies with a bunch of glass. I can't wait to be back with the E-System.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by gianca_4_3rds View Post
    Software won't help much recovering the zuiko 8mm CA, since it is more of a fringe effect.
    Just avoid like the plague overexposed area with this lens and it makes great photos.
    Wouldn't be for the fringe it would be an extraordinary great lens.
    I got it, and sent it back after few days.
    Got a Peleng 8mm instead, and I'm way happier with that: way softer but the CA is much better which is the most important thing for me.
    I'm surprised by this statement because I own the Peleng and there are really only two things which I absolutely don't like:
    - it is quite soft, softer than any Zuiko I own (including the OM's)
    - it shows quite heavy CA's which to remove with simple tools is impossible (they are not lateral, but axial = longitudinal CA's: not even PTLens is helpful for that one, you have to eliminate them manually, or alternatively let them be)
    but - I can live with both, as I can live with the suboptimal coating of the front lens (it irritates the auto white balance of my E-330 - otherwise working very good - heavily and causes, I think, a yellow tint which I don't like, but is easily correctet on the computer), whereas manual aperture is no problem at all for me, with the peleng (I simply always shoot stopped down at f=8 - or f=5.6 if there's not enough light)

the Peleng is, for me, a very good compromise lens, but I hardly can imagine that it would perform better than the Zuiko fish - meaning, in any discipline, including CA's

so, how's CA's with the Zuiko fish stopped down to say f=8? with the Peleng, stopping down doesn't really help, they're as strong as ever
    Cheers, Herman

sokolblog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sokol View Post
    so, how's CA's with the Zuiko fish stopped down to say f=8? with the Peleng, stopping down doesn't really help, they're as strong as ever
    Hi Herman,

here is a couple of 100% crops from my side-by side shoot I made with my Peleng and the ZD 8mm fisheye that Olympus provided to test at Olympus Plaza in Tokyo last year:

As you see, I made a mistake and shot the Peleng at ISO 400 instead of ISO 100. Nevertheless, it is clear that it does not stand behind the ZD lens in sharpness (see the wires at the top platform on the white house), the CAs are comparable but the ZD appears to exhibit better contrast.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    As you see, I made a mistake and shot the Peleng at ISO 400 instead of ISO 100. Nevertheless, it is clear that it does not stand behind the ZD lens in sharpness (see the wires at the top platform on the white house), the CAs are comparable but the ZD appears to exhibit better contrast.
    Thanks for sharing, Jens, really I see CAs a little bit more pronounced with the Peleng, but you're right, the Peleng absolutely performs well in comparison whith the more expensive Zuiko - but then, this is on an E-1 (or isn't it?) with 5 MP; my E-330 with 7,5 MP shows (in my opinion) the Peleng on it's resolution limit, and you should notice more pronounced differences with 10 MP.
    A friend of mine has the Peleng and E-1, too, and is satisfied with the sharpness, me, on my E-330, I'm not (well, not quite ...) - anyway, a good compromise lens which I won't give away, ever (I think).
    Cheers, Herman

sokolblog

Thanks
    Feedback Score

To clearify let me show you an 100% crop generated from shots taken when I had both the Zuiko 8mm and the Peleng 8mm.
    (please forgive the quality of the pics, just look at the CA/fringe, would ya? )

Both shots have been taken at 100ISO, F8 with my E1.

The Zuiko is clearly sharper, corner to corner, while the Peleng is visibly "fuzzier".
    Unfortunately the Zuiko 8mm has this terrible blue fringe, which is not really the typical CA: looks like the blue channel has a halo that shifts radially, regardless of high contrast/overexposed areas. It is almost impossible to filter it away, while the Peleng responds better to ACR 4.1 CA/defringe filtering (as u can see). IMHO the Zuiko has actually not CA, just the blue fringe: it wouldn't be for that it would have been a killer lens.
    For me neither lens is good, but I personally prefer the Peleng cause the cost and for the kind of use I do, which is set survey for Visual Effects is a great aid.

I wish Oly would have designed the Zuiko 8mm as an high grade lens as they did for the 7-14mm: I wouldn't mind the spend some extra dough for a 8mm zuiko lens without the blue fringe.

Quote Originally Posted by sokol View Post
    I'm surprised by this statement because I own the Peleng and there are really only two things which I absolutely don't like:
    - it is quite soft, softer than any Zuiko I own (including the OM's)
    - it shows quite heavy CA's which to remove with simple tools is impossible (they are not lateral, but axial = longitudinal CA's: not even PTLens is helpful for that one, you have to eliminate them manually, or alternatively let them be)
    but - I can live with both, as I can live with the suboptimal coating of the front lens (it irritates the auto white balance of my E-330 - otherwise working very good - heavily and causes, I think, a yellow tint which I don't like, but is easily correctet on the computer), whereas manual aperture is no problem at all for me, with the peleng (I simply always shoot stopped down at f=8 - or f=5.6 if there's not enough light)

the Peleng is, for me, a very good compromise lens, but I hardly can imagine that it would perform better than the Zuiko fish - meaning, in any discipline, including CA's