Thread: Any dreams/plans/desires/thoughts about leica camera?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Any dreams/plans/desires/thoughts about leica camera?

I was wondering does anyone have any thoughts about buying the leica version L1?
    vs
    Really, I think that the Panasonic is a cool camera. I see them doing a great job advertising in magizines, e.g. in macworld - they have 1 whole page & 1/3 page advertizement. I think that they will bring a lot of notice to the system. But why is Leica releasing a camera body? Is there any differences between the 2? Look at the price differences - Would you pay $900 more for the leica? I wouldn't.
    can someone help me here in understanding this?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

Default Re: Any dreams/plans/desires/thoughts about leica camera?

There are those that just have to have the "red dot". Don't ask me why. They just do.
    John

-- Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

John nailed it. I have MY "red dot" on my camera strap which allows me into the great world of Leica snobbery... (nose in the air) thank-you-very-much!

Seriously, having been trained using Leicas back in the M2/M4 days and subsequently shooting them for years, once upon a time there was a good reason to shoot Leica. No one else came close to their ability to capture the shot time after time. Even in the scientific and illustration world you could do anything with them and the accessory pentaprism setup they had. Today, you're hard pressed to find a consumer-grade camera that isn't at least as competent and reliable as the Leica bodies of the 60s and 70s. Leitz and Schneider optics used to be the finest in the world. Now they're still among the best, but almost all of the major manufacturers are as good or better. AFAIK, there isn't any reason to spend the $900 difference. I'd rather have another lens. Maybe a couple of lenses with that $900. BTW, I'm toying with buying the Lumix L1 as a third body. $1700 is still a lot of money tho... and I really need another body like I need a third ear...

Roger

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

And, as if Aunty is listening in, this just in:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6144038.stm
    John

-- Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Greetings,

I thought I read somewhere that Leica planned to use different algorithms for image processing in the camera. I have to admit, aside from the similar appearance, I don't know very much about the details of the Digilux 3.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

No, not at this time

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Being an Orange County snob (just kidding!), I am on a waiting list for the D3. I know there is a pretty big price difference between it and the L1, and I know there are few physical differences, but I have wanted a Leica for a long time, and given my investment in my current E1 system, it seems like a .... (stretching a bit here) logical choice. I have wanted a second body, and waiting for the E1 replacement has been like waiting for the second coming, so this helps futher justify it. And I can go on and on justifying it....

If it wasn't a deductible business expense, I probably wouldn't....

I am hoping I have it in the next week or two...

John

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

John - I expect a full review. Maybe someone in the So-Cal area will have a L1 that you can compare it too.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

There are no way that i am going to get this camera!!Over price for my taste!!I have hold a L1 at exhbition,all i can say it,it is a good camera but overprice

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The Leica is a classic. Why would anyone buy that camera? For the same reason they buy any of the retro-sports cars that are on the market today. For the legend that it represents, even if that legend isn't necessarily relevant in today's world. Whether it's sensible or not, you'd look ever so stylish snapping away with that elegant camera. Definitely a step above Joe Measurebater with his plastic fantastic.

Somewhere down the road, if the Digilux 3 drops in price, I'd pick one up just for the classic lines. Wouldn't pay asking price today, but if a body showed up for < $700, I'd grab one. (while I'm waiting for the E330 to get below $500 to get one for macro work) For $2.5k though, I'd rather have an E3.

One of my great hopes is that Minox will see the light and recreate it's model B in digital form, the classic spy camera. They've already done a mini-Leica digital, so it's a possibility. I still have a B, still works well, if I could find film for it. Actually, the 'B' was a very handy sized camera to carry around. (Q to Bond: Folds into a convenient pocket size. Bond to Q: Assuming one has a convenient pocket) A P&S in that form factor would be quite unobtrusive.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

The M8 has me captivated enough to track one down to try it......

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The only "real" difference between the L1 and the Digilux 3 is Leica's longer, no-questions-asked warranty. There are (according to Leica) some imaging processing differences which, of course, would be negated by shooting raw. To me, the sleeker M6-like lines of the L1 (the Leica has squared-off "shoulders"), the black finish (I don't care much for silver painted cameras like the Leica), and the cheaper price made the L1 the obvious choice. A choice I've been quite happy with.

pmarlinm