Thread: Leica Digilux 3?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Leica Digilux 3?

Has anyone tried this camera? Have you tried it with olympus lenses? What are your thoughts? Thanks for considering

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Leica Digilux 3?

I've tried the Digilux 3, but not with Olympus lenses.

My thoughts about the camera, it looks neat, it feels firm, but i think it is a big too big and bulky. I didn't like the ergonomics of the camera, but that ofcourse is very personal. I own the E-1 and E-330 (among other camera's) and I like them in terms of ergonomics a lot more too.
    I think for not too big lenses - like the 14-50 or 14-54 - I think the Digilux 3 still is okay, but for longer lenses I don't think it is a nice camera.

I've also handled the DMC-L1 and in my opinion it looks a less need (though I always thought I like black more as black with chrome (or other shinny stuff), it feels less firm but far all the rest I think it is quite the same.

Leica claims that there is another image processor which also gives different RAW files.

Leica also has stated that the most interesting part of the kit - the lens - shall be sold seperate. I think if you would like the Digilux kit you better can buy an E-330 with the 14-50 lens if you want your camera to have liveview (I prefer the live of the E-330 a lot above the liveview of the Digilux 3) and if you want a firm camera (and not the E-1) I think you should wait for the E-1 follow-up...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default An owners perspective

Ok -- so I now own the D3 (in addition to my E1 gear). I did not get a chance to use it last weekend (when I bought it), but have played with it a bit.

One thing I seem to hear is people are surprised by its size. I am more surprised by the lens size than the body size. I have always used the E1 with the grip, so to me, the D3 seems a little small and almost awkward to hold. I am sure the E330 users feel the same way (maybe?)

I do like having the aperture ring on the lens -- all lenses should have this. I am tempted to buy the Sigma 30, but not sure if I am going to like how it operates with the camera. I know there is one person on this forum that has the L1 & the Sigma 30, and he says its fine... I probably prefer to hold out for the Leica 25, but I am not sure how pricey it is going to be.

I am also a bit disappointed with the Panasonic/Leica lens roadmap, but I guess that's a topic for another thread.

I do plan to take the D3 out this weekend and give it a whirl, with the 14-50, and the Oly 7-14 and 50-200. And also try out the FL50 on it.

Anyhow, this is probably not the substance you were looking for, but I wil try and post a thread and some photos this weekend.

John

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: Leica Digilux 3?

Thanks and I look forward to learning of your experiences this weekend.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: An owners perspective

Quote Originally Posted by johnk View Post
    and almost awkward to hold.
    i think that is the main problem. it think the ergonomics of the camera just aren't good. as said, i also own an e-1 and that camera is bigger as the D3, but the E-1 is just a lot better to hold.

seize only doesn't say a lot about how a camera holds. compare it for example with canon's 350d (or 400d for that matter), that thing just has terrible ergonomics, some people claim that that is because of the seize of the camera, but there are a lot of camera's that are smaller and ergonomicly a lot better. the e-400 is one of them.

at olympus, when they design a camera, in my opinion, they value ergonomics highest. i have the idea that for panasonic/leica the looks were most important...