Thread: Funky SHLD2 behavior

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Funky SHLD2 behavior

This has happened a few times. Not a problem, more of an annoyance. Anyone else have this happen?

Every so often, I'll switch on the E1 and get a low battery indicator. The first time, I thought it hadn't had many shots but maybe I left the E1 turned on in the bag and the shutter button got bumped keeping it on. So on the charger it went, and all was fine.

Second time it happened - this can't be right. So I switched off, pulled the battery, put it back in - and voila! Now showing a full battery.

It's happened once since then, inevitably after the E1 has been sitting in the bag for a while, and no, it wasn't turned on in the bag the last time this happened.

??? As I said, not really a problem, just curious.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Default Re: Funky SHLD2 behavior

Actually, I've had a similar situation. I'll power on the camera and get the low battery indication. As I know that this can't be correct, I'll shoot a test image and the battery guage will go to full.
    I can't explain it but it's never caused a problem.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I also had a similiar problem, but only with aftermarket Lenmar battery. Original Olympus always work well.
    From Russia with Love,, Andrey Sudbin, offroad journalist

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Andrey,

how do you like the Lenmar BLL-1 replacement battery?

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Hi Andrey,

how do you like the Lenmar BLL-1 replacement battery?

Cheers, Jens.
    Hi, Jens!
    Not very much. Maybe, I've got not a very good specimen. The capacity is announced to be almost the same as Olympus battery, but it gets exhausted at list three times quicker. And charger also do not understand this battery well - when Lenmar is charged, the signal light do not turn from red to green, but starts blinking. I've purchased it as a backup battery, because sometimes I shoot far from power sourse. But fortunately usually the capacity of original battery is enough for shooting all day long, from dawn to sunset, and making about 1000 -1200 shots in RAW, and still not to be totally exhausted, and in the evening I have a chance to charge. So I keep Lenmar just for emergency case, in accordance with boyscout and WARN company slogan: "Go prepared"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Andrey,

The flashing red indicator of your charger is a warning that the battery is defective or damaged. The fact that the battery doesn't last very long also supports this. I'd discard it---your camera is worth too much to damage with a flakey battery.

Hi Jens,

I purchased a "PowerSmart DOY005" BLL-1 replacement and it has worked very well. It lasts just as long as my genuine Olympus BLL-1 batteries (I have three). I purchased the third-party battery from an eBay ad like this for US$15.50 + 7.00 for shipping.

The only negative---and it does worry me---is that I can hear the battery rattle if I shake it. It seems like the internal cells are not secured very well. It may be fine but I don't want to disassemble it because this would probably damage its case. So I only use it as a last resort. But functionally, it seems just as good as the Olympus models. It has a similar o-ring seal, latch, etc.

Hi TrapperJohn,

I've never had a problem with either of my E-1 cameras (both have an HLD-2 full-time). It makes me wonder if your HLD-2 or BLL-1 has an intermittent, dirty or deformed contact. You might want to remove your HLD-2 and carefully inspect it and the camera's electrical contacts. Then clean the contacts while it is apart.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by First Light View Post
    Hi Andrey,

The flashing red indicator of your charger is a warning that the battery is defective or damaged. The fact that the battery doesn't last very long also supports this. I'd discard it---your camera is worth too much to damage with a flakey battery.
    I purchased a "PowerSmart DOY005" BLL-1 replacement and it has worked very well. It lasts just as long as my genuine Olympus BLL-1 batteries (I have three). I purchased the third-party battery from an eBay ad like this for US$15.50 + 7.00 for shipping.
    Probably You are right, and I have to mark investment in this Lenmar as "lost money". I also immediately checked up this ebay store (ond it's now the only one on ebay, that sells replacement batteries for HLD-2), and found out, that they ship only to US and Canada, and in the only one online store in Europe, where I have found this item, the price was 28 euro without delivery, about 60 dollars - too much for Taiwan made device. So for me the problem of backup battery remains opened...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks for the very important information Andrey.

I'll pass the Lenmar option then. I have been on my way to buy such a Lenmar battery a couple of times but hesitated since I didn't know anything about it.

Cheers, Jens
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Thanks for the very important information Andrey.

I'll pass the Lenmar option then. I have been on my way to buy such a Lenmar battery a couple of times but hesitated since I didn't know anything about it.

Cheers, Jens
    Cameta is selling whole SHLD grip set for 80USD with buy it now option, and also there are sets for bidding, perhaps that's the solution?

Yours Bojan