Thread: My new personal site....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default My new personal site....

While I have been neglecting to fix the home page of this site, I have been working on my personal site. (Every year I get a few views from clients, and such)
    So before wedding season gets under way I wanted to have a clean look for a site. Not much in the gallery yet. But other than that, its about done.
    I would like some feedback on it.
    http://allplaces.net

Next project figure out what I am going to do on 43photo.com homepage.

Thanks.
    Tony

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: My new personal site....

i had a peek; here're my observations:
    1) navigation is fine, easy enough
    2) the graphics look a bit old fashioned , maybe just my personal taste
    3) the gallery got chopped off on the right (i use Avant browser)
    4) the frame border could be removed in my humble opinion
    Except for 3) , these are purely personal taste you know?
    Keep up the good work
    Cheers,

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Since Deevee started this, I'll add to it.

I (personally) find the Home, Gallery, Contact graphics in the header too "old school". They seem cartoonish or something. All three of those are in the banner right below the header, and in a different order too, so I don't see the point.

I like the coffee cup on the left. It is a nice clean up to date image, and probably makes the three graphics mentioned above more obvious in there appearance...to me anyway. However the coffee cup image is a tad too wide. Should line up vertically with the stuff below it.

How's that for picky???

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tony

The first thing that struck me was the text in the banner, I think it looks out of place in a professional site and reminds me of the template sites created by the early (and later) version of FrontPage. I don’t quite see the relevance of the coffee cup and the menu bar is kind of out of place/alignment with the page. Also, on a large screen, the page has an awful lot of empty space surrounding the small(ish) page.

When I click on the Gallery link, the page doesn’t render correctly in IE7; it truncates everything on the right. I have no idea what is beyond the baby shot. I looked at some of the galleries (that I could access) and I think that the photos need to be tidied up; they don’t really seem to be reflective of what a professional would be attempting to sell. These may just be temporary fillers, but I’m not sure. On the other hand, if they are merely personal stuff, I don’t think they belong on a ‘commercial’ site. This comment doesn't apply to the wedding shots.

I’m also uncomfortable with the fact that the site combines photography and web design services. I used to web design as well and I always kept the two as separate entities. I always believed that there was a conflict with combining the two and could lead to the wrong perception; that is, potential customers wondering which is your greatest/primary skill.

Check, then recheck and check the site again for spelling, grammar, punctuation and other errors.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I must be old fashioned because i like the site - coffee cup, font style, graphics and all! in fact, I really liked the fresh non-technical look of the site...

my three comments are these:

- misspelled 'fourthirdsphoto.com' in your sample listing of web designs

- the gallery - that was confusing to me at first since I thought that was where you were posting your sample wedding photos.... I would move that to the end instead of near the first and perhaps relabel it to 'family' or 'personal' or something to be clear that isn't your professional gallery.

- photography - would that work better if you had albums or some way to display thumbnails at a glance instead of having to scroll through large pics one by one?
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Hey Guys thanks so far for the feedback, I have taken off the top buttons, I thought that I had dumped them earlier, but I must have uploaded them again before showing off.
    1 thing that I am really trying not to do, is have another photo website that looks like all the others. (Many I have built)
    Typos are many I know, And still need to go through it.
    As for rendering the gallery in IE7, I just downloaded it. And well crap another issues with IE.
    I am about ready to give up. I have so many issues with it.
    As for a small site, that was setup on purpose, because 90% of all the monitors I look at are still set up for 800x600.
    I am beginning to think that the tabless (or is it table-less) CSS sheet will not work with IE. End of rant.

Perhaps soon, I will split the web from photo... that would probably be best. I have the domain's to do it. Its just then 1 more site to keep up.
    Thanks again.
    Tony

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Fully CSS rendered sites were all the rage while most were still on dial-up; now I don't think it really matters if we use nested tables in site design, as they are really a small bandwidth overhead. I still use CSS a lot, but mainly for text, paragraph styles, colours etc; I never really couild get used to doing away with tables.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    Fully CSS rendered sites were all the rage while most were still on dial-up; now I don't think it really matters if we use nested tables in site design, as they are really a small bandwidth overhead. I still use CSS a lot, but mainly for text, paragraph styles, colours etc; I never really couild get used to doing away with tables.

Cheers

Ray
    Same here, except for my only Joomla run site (I like Joomla, but keeping up with updates for core and extentions gets old)., my other sites are css/html. Css for text, rollovers, floats, and other minutae, html for basic layout with tables. One thing I like about using tables: they work, even if nothing else does lol. Heck, I still hand code because that how I learned and how I enjoy it. My photo site is css/html except for the gallery which is php driven (coppermine, bloated toad of a script that it is).
    www.waninglight.com - my playground.
    I am crazy going slowly 54321 and switch....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tspore View Post
    I would like some feedback on it.
    Well, I'm an HTML illiterate and don't know what "CSS" is... However, the so called "Sand piper" in your beach gallery is a marbled godwith - which is a wader - not a "sand bird". - Don't know if you think that matters though?

Cheers, Jens
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Well, I'm an HTML illiterate and don't know what "CSS" is... However, the so called "Sand piper" in your beach gallery is a marbled godwith - which is a wader - not a "sand bird". - Don't know if you think that matters though?

Cheers, Jens

LOL - Thanks Jens, I just was throwing some stuff in and messing with the format. You are probably right, the gallery will probably be pulled down soon. But thanks!!!