Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me find a small bag for one camera/lens

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default help me find a small bag for one camera/lens

I am looking for a small bag to use while on short sightseeing trips. I want a bag that will hold my e500 with 14-54mm lens attahched. I don't need too much room for other stuff. I was looking at these bags (in no specific order):

Crumpler 3 Million dollar bag

Tamrac Velocity 6

I think I like the style of the crumpler better... I am worried that it might be too small. Do I need to look at the 4 million dollar bag?

Should I look at something completely different?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

-Josh

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Re: help me find a small bag for one camera/lens

I quite like the Lowepro Rezo 140AW:

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Rezo-1...&s=electronics

The picture there is misleading though, makes it look bigger than it is - it's just the right size to tightly tuck in the E-500 with 14-45 and the original 40-150 plus a couple of spare batteries and CF cards in the side pocket. I'm now using it with the E-330 and 14-54, I haven't tried stuffing the 40-150 in there but I find that slot at the side handy to stuff in a mobile phone, a portable media device or a wallet depending on what else I'm carrying.

The bag itself seems well made with a padded handle plus you can fold out a waterproof covering across the bag to protect everything.

John

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

i use this for the E1+ 14-54mm when i don't carry a backpack
    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Topl...ad_Zoom_1.aspx
    lowepro is a pretty well known name for camera bags and they guarantee their products for life

Thanks
    Feedback Score

this may be a touch bigger than you are looking at, but I got one and love it.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Slin...ot_100_AW.aspx

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by samagon View Post
    this may be a touch bigger than you are looking at, but I got one and love it.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Slin...ot_100_AW.aspx
    yes, i'm eyeing the slingshot 200 to replace my micro 200 backpack since i had the back flap open on me accidentally many times ...the 200 can carry all the lenses i own ...cheers

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: help me find a small bag for one camera/lens

Quote Originally Posted by deevee View Post
    i use this for the E1+ 14-54mm when i don't carry a backpack
    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Topl...ad_Zoom_1.aspx
    lowepro is a pretty well known name for camera bags and they guarantee their products for life
    FWIW, I've used the slightly smaller Lowepro TLZ-mini with the E-1 + 14-54mm that I had picked up previously for my C-2100UZ. IIRC, I had gotten the bag at Best Buy for $19.95. It is a rather tight fit, but it might be easier to find the TLZ than its larger brother. I generally recomend trying to find a place that has the bag (or other items like flash bracket and tripod that how it feels is important) in stock, and trying it out in person, and then buying it from that store which gave you the value of trying it out in person.
    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Topl...Zoom_Mini.aspx

Thanks
    Feedback Score

i should have clarified a bit. I have a slingshot 200. I use this 95% of the time. I want to find something that just fits the camera with the attached lens. Maybe an extra battery too...

I want to travel very light.

I appreciate the responses!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I use a Lowepro Nova Mini AW.

E1 or E500 + 14-54 fits nicely.

Front pocket takes polarising filter + BLM-1 + a few CF cards.

Perfect!

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jlopatin View Post
    I am looking for a small bag to use while on short sightseeing trips. I want a bag that will hold my e500 with 14-54mm lens attahched. I don't need too much room for other stuff. I was looking at these bags (in no specific order):
    Crumpler 3 Million dollar bag
    Tamrac Velocity 6
    I think I like the style of the crumpler better... I am worried that it might be too small. Do I need to look at the 4 million dollar bag?
    Should I look at something completely different?
    Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks!

-Josh
    Josh, I think that it's not the most productive way of solving of this dilemma - to ask advice in forums. Because what is very convinient to one man may seem extremely inconvinient to another... So my advise is just to visit proper store or shop with a good choice of photo bags (with camera, of course!) and to try all variants. I am sure, that You'll find just what You need. For me buying photo bag without having it in hands is something similiar to buying shues without trying it on your feet. It may suite, and may not, having, by idea, just proper size...
    From Russia with Love,, Andrey Sudbin, offroad journalist

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I hate to say this, but I've found the perfect walkaround bag for me, and it cost all of $4.00 on closeout at the local Target store.

It's a carrying case for some sort of smallish Nintendo console. It's sold by Nintendo for preteens to carry their gear to granny's house, so I carefully cut off the sewn on leatherette Nintendo logo. (I've got my pride, after all).

Ripstop Nylon, padded sides, and rugged as all get out. The main compartment is just barely big enough for my E500 with lens and one other lens (perfect for the 2 lens kit). There is a movable Velcro divider that works to keep them from banging about. On the sides are two small pockets that hold small stuff. Sounds like a small camera bag doesn't it? I've seen similar bags sold in camera shops for $30 and up.

The point is, if you keep your eyes open, there are lots of bags out there that were clearly designed to be camera bags but are being sold for other uses. If you keep your eyes open, you might be able to avoid buying a Crumpler or whatnot and still get the job done. Put that money to the next lens!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I just want to know other people's thoughts. Isn't that what a forum is all about?

It is all taken with a grain of salt, but I find it useful to get as much information as possible before heading to the store.

Another thing is that my local camera stores do not carry crumpler bags. I can order one from someplace with a great return policy, but not without hearing some opinions first.

I appreciate all the responses. You guys suggested some bags that I hadn't considered previously.

Thanks for the help.

-josh

Quote Originally Posted by Kirasir View Post
    Josh, I think that it's not the most productive way of solving of this dilemma - to ask advice in forums. Because what is very convinient to one man may seem extremely inconvinient to another... So my advise is just to visit proper store or shop with a good choice of photo bags (with camera, of course!) and to try all variants. I am sure, that You'll find just what You need. For me buying photo bag without having it in hands is something similiar to buying shues without trying it on your feet. It may suite, and may not, having, by idea, just proper size...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have a little LowePro TLZ-1 that I carry my E1 and 14-54 around in on occasion. It is reasonably small, and has a couple of extra pockets. Just enough to pack an extra CF card, and keep the E1 from getting scratched up.
    Just the thing for the time I don't want to haul out the big Nova 5 with everything in it - E1, E330, FL-50, 50-200, 50 Macro, EX-25, flash diffusers, and a Nikkor 105 1.8

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirasir View Post
    I have to disagree, while it's good to go and check out the camera bags yourself I also find forum advice invaluable. I recently went into my local camera shop and tried out the Lowepro Slingshot 100 which to my disappointment would not fit my camera and the 50-200. I had posted here the night before and someone had replied pointing me to a thread showing how to get the camera with the 50-200 in, so I've now bought that bag. Furthermore, the choice in shops here is quite poor limited to Lowerpro and own brand stuff, no Crumpler at all which seems a popular choice.

John

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Josh,

I'm like you, I occassionally want to take my camera only without all the extras, so I also needed a bag for just it. I have this Tamrac bag - http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-5682-Di...&s=electronics (okay, I'm not good at links!) which holds the camera, one lens, a couple batteries and maybe a filter. If I think I'll also need my FL-36, I hang the bag off of one of the D loops.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

My favorite for one camera/lens (or both kit lenses and the E300/500) is the NG 2343. This National Geographic bag is by far, the best I have ever tried. It has good weather sealing (dust and water), enough pockets to hold all the photo (CF cards, batteries, lens tissues, filters, etc), your ID/credit card if wanted, tickets and other small items, plus even a cell phone and MP3 player. It is made of natural fibers, has a soft shoulder strap, has metal snap buckles (like the old military type), and connecting loops to hold other stuff too. It does not look like a camera bag and is a nice natural (tan) color. The interior is 7.8"Lx4.7"Wx7.8"H (exterior is 8.6"x6.2"x9.4") and mine protected by E300 with both lenses at SeaWorld (including the water rides).

Wayne
    E-3, E-1, E-300, 12-20 SWD, 14-45, 14-54, 40-150, 50-200 SWD, 70-300, EC-14, FL-36, FL-50

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've found the Swiss Army gas mask bag is just about perfect. And it doesn't advertise "camera"......

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/b...gid-10137.html

Corey
    "If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?" - John Wayne

http://wayangfotos.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Coreys bag is pretty cool (I'd never think of that!).
    Personally I use a Crumpler Pretty Boy (XL -available smaller and bigger). fits my e400+lens, extra lens and some small stuff. and if you're creative, you can add a mini tripod, PSD and purse as well

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I use a Mekko and im happy with it.

Leonard

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mekko-Pro-Canvas...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by marcof View Post
    Coreys bag is pretty cool (I'd never think of that!).
    You should have stolen it when you had the chance.......but you were probably too interested in somebody else.........

Corey
    "If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?" - John Wayne

http://wayangfotos.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I have a Tamrac 515 (http://tamrac.com/welcome.htm) which is just large enough to hold my E-500 with 14-54 with lens hood on in shooting position (ie, not reversed), room for an extra battery and extra CF cards in the outside pocket, and a lens brush and lens cloth in the inner pocket under the lid. Will hang on a shoulder strap plus it has belt loops so you can carry it on your waist. I think I paid around $5 for it used on eBay.

ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default Re: TLZ-1

Perfect for my E-1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I ended up creating my own photobag..i'm pretty cheap sometimes...

I do plan on buying the Crumpler 7 million bag...but no real funds right now.

https://macaraeg.bounceme.net/?p=46

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Lots of great ideas here; I'm in the market for a new bag also and wanted one that didn't shout "CAMERA TO STEAL HERE"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: help me find a small bag for one camera/lens

Quote Originally Posted by DustyLee View Post
    Lots of great ideas here; I'm in the market for a new bag also and wanted one that didn't shout "CAMERA TO STEAL HERE"
    One suggestion I've seen over the years is get a diaper bag, and get a cotton diaper and leave a candy bar in it in the sun, and put that as your top layer. As long as nobody sees you putting the camera in/out of the bag, it is unlikely to be stolen.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    One suggestion I've over the years is get a diaper bag, and get a cotton diaper and leave a candy bar in it in the sun, and put that as your top layer. As long as nobody sees you putting the camera in/out of the bag, it is unlikely to be stolen.
    I was just about to chip in with my recommendation of a "Crumpler Ben's Pizza", when I saw this response.. he, he.

This has to be the best "stealth" bag out there!!!

Chers
    Andy