Thread: Photo Mechanic

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Photo Mechanic

Does anyone know whether Photo Mechanic can read ORF files? The web site gives away no clues.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Photo Mechanic

Ray as far as I can remember it did when I tried the trial version. And could write and alter exif in DNG files but not ORF, it may have changed since then, but why not try the trial vesion.
    I have to say the only advantage I found over IveiwMedia Pro 3 was that it could change and delete exif, wheras Iveiw could only write exif to files(including DNG) but is a better Dam program in my veiw.

Paul
    Regards Paul
    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yes, it can read ORF files.

Regards

Marek

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks

I was just pondering this product, as it appears that quite a few use it for initial image selection because of its speed.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ray,

I have Photo Mechanic and I think it is the single best application I have....

partly because of the browser speed - maybe i notice it more because I have a dinky computer, but it is in a different league than anything else I've tried....

but more than that, it is just so versatile and handy and easy to use - you can batch anything you want to do in a snap...

and it is very convenient to use in conjunction with other applications...

it has a 30 day free trial - you should download it and try it out.... use it for the whole month - it takes a while for it to grow on you, then you'll see why it is so popular....

and the company is very responsive to requests for new or revised features...

originally I balked at the price, but honestly - I consider it to be the best money I've spent...(I like iview media pro 3 also - but for cataloging, not browsing).
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks Doreen, I might give it a go.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Since we're on the subject, does PM provide full EXIF data as you're sorting?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

there are two ways to see exif info - the 'preview' mode has an exif info box(and a full channel color histogram - which is great for E1 photos since we don't have that in camera or in Studio)..... in thumbnail mode, you have option of having a floating 'tooltip' window that provides customizable information about each photo - the default 'tooltip' contains exif info...

also, in 'preview' mode you have the option of setting PM to render the raws or use the embedded jpgs for speed - and you can toggle back and forth with the 'Q' button...... I don't notice much of a speed hit when using the 'render' version - but I don't particularly like the way it 'renders', so I just use the embedded jpeg..... if you shoot 'raw+jpeg' - you can set it to use that jpeg for previews...

nearly every function within PM is customizable - so you can adapt it to whatever works best for your own workflow... and for those on mac computers - it feels very 'mac-like' to use...

as much as I love PM, it might not add much to your own workflow if you are already happy with your browser capabilities, or if don't edit captioning or other IPTC info.... it works for me because 'Bridge'/Studio/Silkypix are unbearably slow for browsing (PM opens instantly on my dinky little slow computer and I never have to pause for it to keep up with whatever I am doing).... and it provides things (like full channel histogram and fast way to properly orient vertical photos) that combo of E1 and Studio either didn't have or were very clumsy and slow... I may not have needed PM so much if I had been using Raw Developer all along - it is pretty fast, too...
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dmpbyrdwatcher View Post
    as much as I love PM, it might not add much to your own workflow if you are already happy with your browser capabilities, or if don't edit captioning or other IPTC info.... it works for me because 'Bridge'/Studio/Silkypix are unbearably slow for browsing (PM opens instantly on my dinky little slow computer and I never have to pause for it to keep up with whatever I am doing)....
    Thanks, I also find Silkypix too slow for browsing, but after the very first cull, it's still necessary since shots sometimes need some tentative manipulation before I realize they're unsavable.
    I've used PIE (Picture Information Extractor) for browsing when I want to review what the lens/camera settings are later on, but unfortunately when the directory has a large number of shots, it takes forever to load, and quite a bit of time to switch between shots, so I'm looking for something quicker.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's really very good app for fast sorting, browsing, culling, tagging etc. The only function I miss in my ver3 (apparently added in ver4) is to view images side by side so when you move inside of one the other moves too when deciding which is sharper ot better exposed.

Oh it's also color managed which I would think is not that usual amongst browsers.

Regards

Marek

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto View Post
    but unfortunately when the directory has a large number of shots, it takes forever to load, and quite a bit of time to switch between shots, so I'm looking for something quicker.

well, if PM were $49, then it would be a no brainer --- but it is $150....

(they are generous with updates - I've gone from version 3 to version 4 [with all the minor updates in between] without additional charges)...

I was bitter about the cost when I bought it, but felt I had no choice at the time - few mac options and the other apps not really useable with my dinky computer.....but it has been so incredibly useful for me and really changed the whole experience - so now I have no doubt about the cost being worth it for me...

but YMMV, of course...
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Just want to put in a plug for Faststone Image Viewer, which is freeware, and works fine for me as a viewer (with the disclaimer that I shoot RAW+JPEG most of the time, and do fast reviews on the JPEGs rather than the ORFs.

Faststone would be a bargain at $50, but as freeware it's simply astounding. (Has convert/resize/crop/lightness/color balance etc options in it also)
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I use Faststone also.....it's great because it can read both .orf or .dng files. I have it set to work with Photoshop........don't ever even look at Bridge. A great app.
    "If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?" - John Wayne

http://wayangfotos.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I just tried Faststone and can't really say I liked it. It's fast at rendering the thumbnails, but when you want to look at the images enlarged or at 100%, it takes a few seconds to render each image. So in the overall scheme of things, it's not really faster than Capture One, which is currently a bit slow at rendering the thumbnails, but very fast at displaying the images enlarged and full size, once the thumbnails are rendered.

I still haven't been able to try Photo Mechanic, as I haven't received my password for the trial. But in retrospect, I don't think I'll bother, as I'd rather spend the $150 on the new version of Capture One, which is supposed to be a lot faster, and I'll probably still have some money to spare.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    I still haven't been able to try Photo Mechanic, as I haven't received my password for the trial. But in retrospect, I don't think I'll bother, as I'd rather spend the $150 on the new version of Capture One, which is supposed to be a lot faster, and I'll probably still have some money to spare.
    Probably wise

I never saw what my $150 would get me, so I never let them get it from me.