Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: walkabout lens

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default walkabout lens

I am looking for a small MF lens for walking around shooting whatever. Reasonably close focus would be nice but I can live without it. Its for experimenting. Nice bokeh would be a plus but I am realistic about what is attainable and what isn't.

I was toying with the idea of getting a 50mm f2 Summicron for my E500 but I have no experience with Lecia. If you look on the used market the prices vary tremendously (from ridiculous to affordable). Does anyone have any experience with the differences between the variations? I'd be looking at the cheaper ones.

Alternately are there any OM or other legacy lenses that compare (as in come reasonably close). Just looking for a reasonably fast, sharp lens that won't be $400 or $500 since it is just for some playing around. I also thought of the 40mm Hexanon. They are dirt cheap and I could probably carry out the modification pretty easily. I was also thinking about the OM 50mm 1.8 or the 24mm 2.8. I have an OM adapter so an OM lens would be an easy route.

Kevin

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: walkabout lens

What about the 35mm Macro? It's my favorite walkabout lens mainly due to the small size, light weight and the fact that the front lens element is recessed deep in the barrel. I can sling it over my shoulder with no worries of fingerprints or people in an elevator or on the street bumping into it.

It's only f3.5 but it does have extreme macro capability and can be had for about $200 US

The Bokeh is just OK but as you get closer to your subject it gets better.

Then again you can get an OM to 4/3 adapter and a Zuiko 50mm f1.4 for under $100 US.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Kevin,

Leica optics are superb - I have owned and used many M series lenses and still have a 280 Telyt which could, with a couple of adapters, be used on the E series (Visoflex to R, R to 4/3 mount). However, with the 2x multiplier, the 50mm f2 Sumicron becomes a 100m, lens, which is a little on the long side for a general walk about lens. A 35mm efective focal length of 35 to 50mm is closer to ideal. These Leica lenses are very rare and expensive, and a better alternative (for German glass) would be the Rollei SL 35 Zeis lenses (not the Rollinars, but the Zeis optics). There are Rollei to 4/3 adapters, and you can buy an entire arsenal of lenses for the price of one wide Leica lens (I bought a Rollei SL 35 plus 4 Zeis lenses, 25, 35, 50, and 85 for $150 new!)

Wayne
    E-3, E-1, E-300, 12-20 SWD, 14-45, 14-54, 40-150, 50-200 SWD, 70-300, EC-14, FL-36, FL-50

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well...I HAVE the ZD35mm macro that I ma using as a walkabout lens and it's okay. Its pretty fun and now that I have gotten some time with it I am feeling more comfortable about it in general (I still think it is a PITA to focus). Its a nice sharp macro lens and you're right the bokeh is okay in macro mode and kinda blah otherwise...as a walkabout lens the ZD35 may work well in San Diego but up here 20 miles from the Canadian border I would be happier with something faster. Also I am looking for MF and I really don't care for the way the ZD35 (or any other ZD lenses that I have manual focus).

Good point about the Summicron being a 100mm lens. I had thought of it but I figured it wasn't that different from my ZD35. I had also seen sme samples of a Summicron on an E1 and thought they looked quite good (although maybe a tad too sharp). The 50mm Summicrons can be had for around $150 at KEH (in bargain condition). The 35mm f2 Summicrons are quite a bit more spendy. I'll take a look at the Rollei/Zeiss option (I always liked Contax).

BTW, I got my OM adapter today. It is a non Olympus version and I was floored by how nice it was. wel made and finished. I have a 300mm f4.5 on the way for some birding (tripod only).

Back to topic...I am also looking for the made in Japan version of the OM 50mm 1.8 (supposedly the better/sharper version) and very inexpensive. The OM 24mm 2.8 is also an option but according to Olympus the working range with an adapter is f4 to f11 making it slower than the ZD35. I may also pop the $18 for the 40mm 1.8 Hexanon just to see what I can make of it although I have heard the bokeh on that lens is pretty terrible. Ah well.

Ahhh complications.

Kevin

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The Leica 25mm f1.4 is ideal... albeit expensive.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

There is an interesting comparison of Leica 50mm f2 and OM Zuiko 50 f1.4..

http://hat-test-beta.blogspot.com/20...ica-vs-om.html

I think the OM Zuiko did it well and from my own experience, it's an amazing piece of glass. F1,4 is extremely useful under poor light and it's not as soft as some people says
    Oly E400 + OM 50/1.4 & OM 135/2.8
    ---
    http://www.pbase.com/odklizec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: walkabout lens

Quote Originally Posted by dixeyk View Post
    Back to topic...I am also looking for the made in Japan version of the OM 50mm 1.8 (supposedly the better/sharper version) and very inexpensive.
    Kevin
    I have a "Made in Japan" version of the OM 50mm f/1.8 that has been sitting unused since I got the 50mm f/2 macro. Send me a PM if you are interested, and I can dig up the serial number and take pictures with my E-1. I take paypal.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Kevin,

how about a Pentax 40 mm pancake?

Wouldn't that look even better on your tiny E-500?

Cheers, Jens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    How much? $2200?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ideal yes and at nearly $2K probably have to wait until after I buy my flying car.

All kidding aside...I appreciate what a great lens that looks to be but unless it were the way I made my living I don't see ever shelling out that much for a lens.

Kevin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by odklizec View Post
    There is an interesting comparison of Leica 50mm f2 and OM Zuiko 50 f1.4..

http://hat-test-beta.blogspot.com/20...ica-vs-om.html

I think the OM Zuiko did it well and from my own experience, it's an amazing piece of glass. F1,4 is extremely useful under poor light and it's not as soft as some people says
    Well, the site being in Japanese made it kind of difficult to get much. I looked at the images on flicker and the two lenses seemed to be pretty close (but then again they had been post processed). I should take a look at the full size images. Based on what I saw the images looked comparable although I would say the Leica generally looked better.

What camera was it on? I assume an E-1, I don't recall seeing. I have seen other images shot with the 50mm 1.4 and they looked pretty soft to me. Also, generally the OM lenses (or any other legacy lenses for that matter) are at their best stopped down a few so the advantagte of the 1.4 is not quite as dramatic.

Do you have a 1.4 and if so do you have nay images you have shot with it? I would be interested to see them.

Kevin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I don't know if it would look better (the E1 is a pretty cool looking rig) but it would look pretty great. Is that the new 40mm 2.8 pancake or a legacy lens? I am guessing the latter. If I remember those can be a bit more money wise correct? How do you like it and do you have any images you'd like to share?

Kevin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I've been searching almost daily, but I still haven't got a clue what the 25mm f/1.4 is going to be priced at. Anyone heard anything?

Roger

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Kevin,

it has been a bit too dark and cold since I acquired that lens (yes, it is the legacy one) so I haven't brought it for any walkabout yet. So, so far I'm mostly liking the look of the lens.

However, I can bring it with me to work today and take a couple of shots of the snowy farm on the way.

We'll see if I get the opportunity.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dixeyk View Post
    Well, the site being in Japanese made it kind of difficult to get much. I looked at the images on flicker and the two lenses seemed to be pretty close (but then again they had been post processed). I should take a look at the full size images. Based on what I saw the images looked comparable although I would say the Leica generally looked better.

What camera was it on? I assume an E-1, I don't recall seeing. I have seen other images shot with the 50mm 1.4 and they looked pretty soft to me. Also, generally the OM lenses (or any other legacy lenses for that matter) are at their best stopped down a few so the advantagte of the 1.4 is not quite as dramatic.

Do you have a 1.4 and if so do you have nay images you have shot with it? I would be interested to see them.

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

Japanese is not my native language as well, but one can always use an online translator..not very helpfull and accurate, but at least something..
    http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?u=...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

The camera in this test was E1. I'm using OM f1.4 on my E400 and yes, it's usable even fully open. I use this setup for indoor shots, under bad light conditions. In outdoor with plenty of light I stopping it down to 2.8, 5.6 or 8..depending on the situation and what I'm shooting. Of course, the fully open shots are bit soft. If you focus properly, you can always resharpen the images later in PP. But in some cases (portraits), is a bit soft look ideal

See this discussion with some indoor samples..
    http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8529

and here are some outdoor shots..
    http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=9557

BTW, I like this shot from recent time..
    Oly E400 + OM 50/1.4 & OM 135/2.8
    ---
    http://www.pbase.com/odklizec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Hi Kevin,

it has been a bit too dark and cold since I acquired that lens (yes, it is the legacy one) so I haven't brought it for any walkabout yet. So, so far I'm mostly liking the look of the lens.

However, I can bring it with me to work today and take a couple of shots of the snowy farm on the way.

We'll see if I get the opportunity.

Cheers, Jens.

Yeah well, if I am complaining about it being dark here in Washingtin State I can imagine that Sweden would be even more difficult to get fair weather this time of year. If you get an opportunity I'd love to see what you have but no need to put yourself out.

Thanks

Kevin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by odklizec View Post
    Hi Kevin,

Japanese is not my native language as well, but one can always use an online translator..not very helpfull and accurate, but at least something..
    http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?u=...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

The camera in this test was E1. I'm using OM f1.4 on my E400 and yes, it's usable even fully open. I use this setup for indoor shots, under bad light conditions. In outdoor with plenty of light I stopping it down to 2.8, 5.6 or 8..depending on the situation and what I'm shooting. Of course, the fully open shots are bit soft. If you focus properly, you can always resharpen the images later in PP. But in some cases (portraits), is a bit soft look ideal

See this discussion with some indoor samples..
    http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8529

and here are some outdoor shots..
    http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=9557

BTW, I like this shot from recent time..
    Translator...Dang, I always forget about those.

Thansk for the links, I thought the shots were much better than I woud have expected will all the talk about how the faster primes aren't all that useful. I thought the 1.4 seemed perfectly useable. That one text...

http://biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e1.html

...has become THE material everyone sites. Its useful but its nice to see people getting out and trying it themselves to see what they can come up with. Also, as you say the softness wide open can be ideal for portraits. Thanks for the sample images they helped a lot.,FWIW, of all the samples I have seen over the past few days the most interesting was from a Hexanon 57mm 1.7.

http://www.pbase.com/rapick/bdavis

Right now I am probably going to pickup an OM 50mm 1.8 and a Hexanon 40mm 1.8 to play around with. Keep the investment low and see what I can make of it. I'll post samples when I get the hardware.

Thanks

BTW, I think the 1.4 looks great on the camera.

Kevin

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi Kevin,

how about a Pentax 40 mm pancake?

Wouldn't that look even better on your tiny E-500?

Cheers, Jens.
    I can also suggest Sigma 30/1.4 Of course, it's bigger (but mainly in diameter, it's not much longer the system of this pancake+adaper if hood not mounted). It's not very heavy, it's really fast, it's AF and very versatile. From the point of view of angle of view (sorry for tautology) 60 mm is more versatile than 80
    From Russia with Love,, Andrey Sudbin, offroad journalist

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Andrey,

Quote Originally Posted by Kirasir View Post
    I can also suggest Sigma 30/1.4 Of course, it's bigger (but mainly in diameter, it's not much longer the system of this pancake+adaper if hood not mounted).
    you must be joking!!?

My Pentax pancake sticks out only 24 mm from the 4/3ds flange including adapter which means that it protrudes only about 10 mm past the grip. It is 62 mm in diameter and weighs 135 grams.

Sizewise, I can't understand how you can compare the Sigma (64 mm long, 78 mm in diameter, and weighs 410 grams) to a true pancake.

I agree about the focal length though but that is also a matter of style.

Cheers, Jens.

FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite

Thanks
    Feedback Score

How much is the Pentax Pancake? I want the Sigma 30mm f/1,4 for the brightness. I have the 14-54 and 50-200 f/2.8-f/3.5. I do want another f/2.8 lens. I did consider Michael's suggestion of the 50mm f/2. Many places I shoot you can't use a flash or monopod. So the brighter lens the better.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi Andrey,

you must be joking!!?

My Pentax pancake sticks out only 24 mm from the 4/3ds flange including adapter which means that it protrudes only about 10 mm past the grip. It is 62 mm in diameter and weighs 135 grams.

Sizewise, I can't understand how you can compare the Sigma (64 mm long, 78 mm in diameter, and weighs 410 grams) to a true pancake.

I agree about the focal length though but that is also a matter of style.

Cheers, Jens.
    Won't argue, probably, in this sense You a just right. I only wanted to say, that this lens is suitable for announced task, no more.
    P.S. Have You recieved the message I've sent You yesterday?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Andrey,

yes, I recieved the message but I was stunned by the bad company your E-1 is hanging out with.

Please await my reply.

Cheers, Jens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi Andrey,

yes, I recieved the message but I was stunned by the bad company your E-1 is hanging out with.

Please await my reply.

Cheers, Jens.
    O'k, but it's not my E-1

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

OK, I went out during lunch and snapped some images with the Pentax pancake.

Before linking to some reference images, I'd like to say that I feel the lens is too small - at least when shooting in freezing degrees. I had a problem gripping the focusing or the aperture ring only. They sit a bit too close for my numb fingers - maybe it will be better in the summer.

So, here are links to four full sized jpg images (~3.5 MB each) taken at:
    f/2.8
    f/4.0
    f/5.6
    f/8.0

As you see, the main feature of this lens is the neat size.

I wouldn't buy one for sharpness, nor for user friendliness and mine will probably go on sale soon.

Cheers, Jens.