Thread: PTLENS Problem

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default PTLENS Problem

I have an Oly E1 and an E500, and four Oly ZD lenses. I use the PTLENS distortion correction plug-in in PS CS2.

With the E500 everything works OK, but with the E1 the system does not
    recognise the lenses, and gives a "Lens not found in profiles" message.

After e-mailing epaperpress, I have installed the latest version of the software, but the problem that the lens type is not recognised when I use the E1 still remains.

This is not a total show stopper, as I can opt to select the lens type manually. If I cannot remember which lens was used I can check in the exif.

This is cumbersome and I would rather have the lens type detected automatically with the E1 as it is with the E500.

Has anyone else had this problem?

If so did you find a fix?

Thanks,

Peter Jordan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: PTLENS Problem

Hi Peter,

Based on your description, the problem is with the PTLens plug-in. Therefore the onus is on the software developer to fix it. You'll probably get a more knowledgeable response from them.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by First Light View Post
    Hi Peter,

Based on your description, the problem is with the PTLens plug-in. Therefore the onus is on the software developer to fix it. You'll probably get a more knowledgeable response from them.
    Hi FL,

Yes, I am working with them, but the developer is away during February so although I have made some progress, I do not have a complete fix.

I think, but I am not sure, that the software used to work with the E1, hence the question to find out others experience.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Yes, I find this very curious. If it E-500 is supported, surely the E-1 must have been -- and the website says that the following cameras and lenses re supported:

[from the website]

Olympus E-500
    Olympus E-330
    Olympus E-300
    Olympus E-1

Olympus 4/3 Lenses

multiplier = 2.0
    7-14mm f/4.0 Zuiko Digital
    11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 Zuiko Digital
    14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital
    14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 Zuiko Digital
    40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 Zuiko Digital
    50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 Zuiko Digital
    50mm f/2.0 Macro Zuiko Digital
    Since I assume the plugin is getting the information from the EXIF info, I wonder if there's a problem with the EXIF info in your E-1 files? You could get an EXIF reader and look into it.

BTW, Thomas Niemann, the author of PTLENS has been very responsive to my questions in the past (making allowance for his being what I think is a one-man operation)
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi ODM,

Yes, it is very curious, and I just can't remember whether it ever worked properly with the E1.

It is certainly reading the EXIF data to tell me that it is the E1. I have checked the EXIF data itself and that is complete in the files.

I wondered if it had anything to do with the fact that I shoot RAW then convert to DNG, but the same problem occurs with ORF or JPG files.

Epaperpress have been very responsive and helpful, but Tom himself is the key to any fix, and he is away for the next two weeks.

Of course I can manage by usual manual lens selection, but I like to solve mysteries like this.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

This is based on my experience alone.

If I take a JPG with my E-1, the EXIF is reported as an E-1.
    If I take an ORF, and look at the EXIF, it is reported as an E-1.
    If I convert that ORF to a DNG and look at it, it is NOT reported as an E-1.
    If I convert the DNG to a JPG, it is NOT reported as an E-1 (obviously).

Using Faststone (it will show ORF's, DNG's, and JPGs), hitting the I key shows image info, and if I look at DNG files, the Model is reported as something that changes on every image.

Using Faststone, if I look at the ORF's, the Model is reported as E-1.

Using Faststone, if I look at JPG's created thru Lightroom, they are reported as jibberish.

Now, switch to IrfanView (popular viewer, but DNG's don't work in it). You get similar results.

If a JPG was created from EITHER and ORF or DNG using Lightroom or PSCS, IrfanView (I key) reports the camera as a 1-E (no kidding).

Now this is bad right? Well.....

If you open those "weird" images in Irfanview or Faststone, the EXIT is indeed "weird". Open them in PSCS, and they are reported as an E-1. Send those "weird" images to say PBase, and its EXIF extractor will report them as E-1 also. Open them in the standalone Noise Ninja, E-1.

So, I'd say that Adobe does do something "odd" to the EXIF data, but it itself knows how to read it. Others know how to read it too.

Perhaps you could try either Faststone of Irfanview on your "Adobe converted" images and see. If they are odd, perhaps PTLens doesn't know how to read these "odd" ones, and now you can tell them the secret....

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 4/3_Pickles View Post
    Now, switch to IrfanView (popular viewer, but DNG's don't work in it).
    Actually, you can right click on a .dng and open it with Irfanview. When you check the exif you'll see it's the same as that shown in Photoshop...other than that in Irfanview the E-1 is identified as a "1-E"
    "If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?" - John Wayne

http://wayangfotos.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 4/3_Pickles View Post
    This is based on my experience alone.

Perhaps you could try either Faststone of Irfanview on your "Adobe converted" images and see. If they are odd, perhaps PTLens doesn't know how to read these "odd" ones, and now you can tell them the secret....

I don't think the DNG files are the problem, because the PTLENS software does not recognise ORF or JPG from the E1 either.

Also, it works perfectly well with DNG files originating from the E500.

Does anyone else use PTLENS with an E1?? If so please tell if it works for you!

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Peter: I bought PTLens after acquiring an 8mm FE lens for my E-1.
    PTLens works fine with all my Zuiko lenses, but it does not recognize the Fisheye lens like it does all the others, I think because the author hasn't gotten around to writing a profile for that particular lens. Hope this helps.

Rocky

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi Rocky,

Thanks for that, interesting to know that it does work with the E1.

If you open up PTLENS, go into Options and uncheck "Detect lens", it then tells you to close and then re-open PTLENS. After that you can scroll down the lenses which are there. Sure enough, the 8mm is not on the list.

I think PTLENS rely on lens users to take pictures using the lens in order to work out the correct data for the lens. There is detail on their web site how to do it, basically by photographing a building with straight horizontal and vertical lines.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Peter: You're right about the profiling tutorial, but I found that for the fisheye lens I'm primarily concerned with "de-fishing" and cropping, which (for me, at least) will vary from shot to shot, so having a profile isn't that important for that particular lens. I have to add that I have PTLens installed as a plugin for PSE5 vs. any version of PhotoShop, although I doubt very much that is related to your problem. Good Luck.

Rocky

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Just to round off this thread, I just received the following message from Tom Niemann:

"Hi Peter. I'm back from vacation.

Yes, the E1 is a problem. Nice camera, but reports some invalid exif information. I don't recall specifics but it's something like the following. For example, if you're using a 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 lens, where 2.8 is the maximum aperture at 14mm, and 3.5 is the maximum aperture at 54mm, it reports something like 14-54mm f/2.8-2.8. At any rate, you can get around this in PTLens. Choose Options and disable "Detects Lens". This means that automatic lens selection won't be as accurate, but you will now be able to use it with the E1."

In fact I had resolved the problem in just the way he suggested.

I was very impressed that he took the took the trouble to reply after 2 weeks. Good service from PTLENS.

Peter Jordan