Thread: A Vivitar 285hv operation question...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default A Vivitar 285hv operation question...

I just got a new 285hv flash. I have used a 283 for years, But it is not clear to me what the function is of the Manual power dial is, that is located on the side of the unit. Could you help me to understand what this is used for maybe I am just getting old.

Thanks, Bob Wood

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Re: A Vivitar 285hv operation question...

I think that one is used only to help you calculate proper flash power and iso/aperture/shutter speed combination
    I think the only dial that really reduce/increase the power is the in front.
    So you have either:
    - colour coded auto modes that depend on the distance
    - or manual flash power with full/half/quoter/eight of the full power settings

Hope this helps
    yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: A Vivitar 285hv operation question...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wood View Post
    I just got a new 285hv flash. I have used a 283 for years, But it is not clear to me what the function is of the Manual power dial is, that is located on the side of the unit. Could you help me to understand what this is used for maybe I am just getting old.

Thanks, Bob Wood
    Bob:

From the manual:

The 285HV has a variable power system. With Vari-Power you can reduce the light output levels to 1/2, 1/4 or 1/16 power. (note: not 1/8). To operate the Vari-Power system:

1. Set the black arrow of the vari-power dial (inner ring of the calculator dial on the side of the flash) to: either 1/2, 1/4 or 1/16. As you turn the ring, the calculator dial will automatically indicate the new f-stop above the flash-to-subject distance.

2, set the mode selector dial (on the lower front of the flash) past the color patches and M for manual, to the same ratio you set in 1 above ie 1/2, 1/4 or 1/16.

3. The effective aperture will be +1 stop (ie open up 1 stop) at 1/2; 2 stops at 1/4 and 4 stops at 1/16 power. (step 1 will show this as mentioned). Choose the aperture based on subject distance

For fill flash

1. set the camera to correct shutter speed (within the sync. range of course) say 1/125

2. determine (meter) the corresponding f-stop for correct daylight exposure

3, set the vari-power dial to align the flash-to-subject distance with the f-stop indicated by the meter in step 2

For example, if the f-stop metered in step 2 was f/8 and the flash-to-subject distance was 7 feet (2 meters if you are a Pommie), aligning up f/8
    with 7 feet by rotating the vari-power ring on the calculator dial would indicate 1/4 power. This will give about 1:1 lighting or balanced light.

Hope this helps

Peter