one of those buttons on the left of the prism in #19 is wireless flash

cheers
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: The next E-pro...

I wish the coming E-pro with another new sensor (may be L-Mos) which support live view will produce the same dynamic range of E-1
    I like my E-1 so much because of its color produced, the E-330 I had seems a bit less dynamic compared with E-1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Im a tad surprised at the lack of detail here
    should already know
    12-14 focus points
    Faster AF, same motors as used by Canon, shorter focal > faster
    IS onboard as on 510
    LiveView
    5-6 fps and larger buffer.
    at least 10mpix.
    Different sensor than that of the E-400
    August launch
    named under P series
    one of those buttons on the left of the prism in #19 is wireless flash
    cheers
    Actually, I would be cautious about "what is known" Much isn't known.
    The New motors in the lenses, are the same as with canon motors.
    IS will be on the camera, and live view.
    But most of what you said is not know.
    Sorry.
    Don't confus what is know for internet gossip.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

there is a lot of gossip i agree
    the thing is this
    i took the trouble to look at most of the 'gossip' around
    one piece i recall in particular included the E-410/510 and E-P1
    now that E-410/510 are here, and it is clear the info provided was accurate

what then of the information about P1 ?
    you would be tempted to rank this information above mere gossip yes ?

i do not think that is unreasonable, it is logical
    Riley

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

True, but really the actually E info leaked relitively close to the annoucement date. I doubt that we will see the finaly probody in til the later part of the year. Many of the features of the new camera will have the things implimented in the consumer bodies.
    Its not a huge jump to guess 5 focus points. More FPS, etc.
    But really those who know can't say anything. Chances are good I know more than most. But what I do know I can't say.
    When the camera is ready it will be out, and well, it should be a very inovative camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

then by your own volition

you cannot say
    Riley

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tspore View Post
    and well, it should be a very inovative camera.
    I expect it will have some feature that is totally unheard of. As in "nobody has ever put that into a camera". Remember, when the E-1 came out. It had SSWF, which until then did not exist in any camera.

/Jörgen
    Jörgen

Thanks
    Feedback Score

...Its not a huge jump to guess 5 focus points.
    Judging from the photograph on dpreview the new Ex/P1 will have the same old 3 focus points. The focus point selector button clearly shows this. I don't really mind it, as long as the performance has increased significantly. I usually don't use more than 1 focus point at a time anyway. I prefer not to let the cpu determine what to focus on.
    -Brian

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I think the P-1 will have more focus points than three. I think that's just going to be Olympus' symbol for focus points. It'll have more than three.
    Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score

why is there so many Fn button? 2 on the body, 1 on the grip.
    okay, the one on the grip is used when on vertical position, but why 2 on the body?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

But really those who know can't say anything. Chances are good I know more than most. But what I do know I can't say.
    Ah, Tony the enigma
    Maybe they'll say more about it at PIE next week. I'm planning to be there for one day.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto View Post
    Ah, Tony the enigma
    Maybe they'll say more about it at PIE next week. I'm planning to be there for one day.
    I expect a full review then
    I hope that you have a great trip.
    Try to talk to sigma, I was trying to get more release info, but the girl didn't seem to understand.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Multiple Fn buttons

Quote Originally Posted by radix View Post
    why is there so many Fn button? 2 on the body, 1 on the grip.
    okay, the one on the grip is used when on vertical position, but why 2 on the body?
    Why not? Two Fn buttons give the photographer the opportunity to have two custom functions programmed to his/her shooting style.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

*HINT*

Function or Fn is used as just another label for a yet un-named button.

Imagine the possibilities?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I was thinking the same thing about the fn button, it's just a placeholder.

There are wayyyyy more buttons than usual on the battery grip. It makes me suspicious. Why do you really need more than a trigger button, and an on-off switch for the trigger? There's another fn button and a dial. How much time do you really spend in portrait? Is it that much of a problem to go back to landscape to change a setting?

Maybe that battery grip is also a remote for the camera. Maybe that big battery door isn't just for a battery, maybe it's for a remote screen or something.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
    There are wayyyyy more buttons than usual on the battery grip. It makes me suspicious. ...
    No way!!!! It sounds like you haven't used an E-1 with an HLD-2 grip. In addition to the shutter button, it also has a sub dial, main dial, AEL, and AF frame selection buttons. The point is to duplicate the control cluster of the main camera so the photographer can make quick adjustments without reaching around the camera. Remember, the purpose of the vertical grip is to provide camera controls for portait shooting. Otherwise, why not just reach around to use the shutter and forget the grip altogether?

Why do you really need more than a trigger button, and an on-off switch for the trigger? ... How much time do you really spend in portrait? Is it that much of a problem to go back to landscape to change a setting?
    Yes, those of us who shoot lots of photos and must do so quickly really benefit from these controls. I shoot as much in portrait mode as landscape mode and I switch frequently in the middle of a shoot with a moving subject at a "live" event. That's why an HLD-2 stays on both of my E-1 cameras full-time. Even my wife, who is a nature and macro photographer, loves the full control set of the HLD-2.

Maybe that battery grip is also a remote for the camera. Maybe that big battery door isn't just for a battery, maybe it's for a remote screen or something.
    It is doubtful that it is a remote. As for the battery door, have a look at a Canon grip. It has the same kind of door because it uses two batteries instead of one. I have not seen the grip for the E-300 but I think it is similar. The idea is to use two standard camera batteries in the grip instead of a custom battery like the one used by the E-1's grip (HLD-2). That way you only have one battery type and charger to fool with. A great idea!

Lastly, we're talking about a pro camera and a pro grip. It should provide superior capability to a "usual" (i.e. amateur) grip.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

sorry... I stand corrected.

I have used a grip on a pro camera, but it was about 20 years ago, before even the E1....

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by First Light View Post
    It is doubtful that it is a remote. As for the battery door, have a look at a Canon grip. It has the same kind of door because it uses two batteries instead of one. I have not seen the grip for the E-300 but I think it is similar. The idea is to use two standard camera batteries in the grip instead of a custom battery like the one used by the E-1's grip (HLD-2). That way you only have one battery type and charger to fool with. A great idea!
    Yes, it's not bad, but... If new E-pro will be not compatible with HLD-2, and new grip will be not compatible with E-1, that will mean for me, that I'll have to carry with me two chargers and two types of batteries. The best solution will be to make "old" and "new" grips fully compatible, but I do not wait from Olympus engineers such a clever decision. Everybody think about their pocket, not about customer's... Of course, I'll be able to use my old E-1, that will become a support body, without a grip, and that will allow me to have only one charger, for BLS, but it's not very convinient - I also never detach HLD-2 from the camera. I have big hands, and even E-1 body is too small for them without a portrait grip.
    From Russia with Love,, Andrey Sudbin, offroad journalist

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirasir View Post
    Yes, it's not bad, but... If new E-pro will be not compatible with HLD-2, and new grip will be not compatible with E-1, that will mean for me, that I'll have to carry with me two chargers and two types of batteries. The best solution will be to make "old" and "new" grips fully compatible, but I do not wait from Olympus engineers such a clever decision. ...
    Hi Kirasir,

I feel the same way. I wish that Olympus had a standardized pro camera chassis that maintains backward compatibility with earlier add-on's. I believe that most of us who use the E-1 "love" the overall mechanical and ergonomical design and would be very happy to see it used for the next E-pro. Naturally, we'd like to see a few things updated like a bigger LCD monitor but there is so much to like about the E-1 that it seems a waste to change things just for the sake of change.

But Olympus appears to have not chosen that path. They've changed the control cluster around the shutter button and I want the control cluster on the vertical grip to match. I wish they hadn't changed it---but the body shown at PMA indicates they have.

Now if we set compatibility aside and talk "absolute best" then I think Pentax is on the right track. Their grip wastes much less space because it continues to work with the main camera battery and simply adds a second battery to it. With the Olympus and Canon grips (I don't know about Nikon) the space occupied by the camera battery is wasted as empty space when the grip is installed. With one battery in the camera and one battery in the grip, the Pentax design makes good use of the extra space in the grip by providing a memory card storage compartment. Very nice!

To be completely fair, I don't know how easy it is to change the Pentax camera battery when their grip is installed. It may be slower because you probably have to remove the grip and this could be a problem for photographers during an intense shoot with just one camera body and no assistant. Then again, I rarely have to change batteries during a shoot with a grip because I can usually get around 1000 or more shots on a charge if I'm not using C-AF. So Pentax may have made the best trade-off in their design.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Argument

Quote Originally Posted by laingjd View Post
    *HINT*

Function or Fn is used as just another label for a yet un-named button.

Imagine the possibilities?
    Just to be argumentive:

If the Fn button is marked that way to camouflage a special camera function in a test or mockup body, why not leave it blank?

If the Fn button is a place holder for some unknown future function, why include it at all? It's then merely a solution looking for a problem.

I wish I knew what you know, Jim.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score

FL - I agree - I use the grip and controls and love portrait mode also 50% of tiem - My question is - I really like the orientation "thigy medoo" that Canikon ? and others ? have - even on review... How do you "turn" your shots... or do you keep them "normal" and only turn for e.g. slide show and when "working" them....

Tx

Nico

"Yes, those of us who shoot lots of photos and must do so quickly really benefit from these controls. I shoot as much in portrait mode as landscape mode and I switch frequently in the middle of a shoot with a moving subject at a "live" event. That's why an HLD-2 stays on both of my E-1 cameras full-time. Even my wife, who is a nature and macro photographer, loves the full control set of the HLD-2."
    South Africa 2010 I was here

E1 since 2004
    E330, E420 soon E-5
    14-54, 50-200, 40-150, 11-22, 8mm
    NEW 150mm f2 & 1.4x
    FL36, Metz
    few odds and ends

SWAMBO E-PL1
    m4/3 - 20mm Pana for me, 14-150 for her

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
    How much time do you really spend in portrait? Is it that much of a problem to go back to landscape to change a setting?
    The reason I like the grip so much is I spend A LOT of time shooting vertically. Not only that, I switch back and forth quite a bit. The grip makes it so much easier and you aren't knocking people out with your elbow when vertical

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: The next E-pro...

Quote Originally Posted by NVD42 View Post
    FL - I agree - I use the grip and controls and love portrait mode also 50% of tiem - My question is - I really like the orientation "thigy medoo" that Canikon ? and others ? have - even on review... How do you "turn" your shots... or do you keep them "normal" and only turn for e.g. slide show and when "working" them....
    On the E-1 during review mode if you rotate one of the knobs (I think it is the front one, but I'm away from the camera right now), it will rotate the picture in the display, and set the EXIF orientation field to indicate the desired rotation. Smart download software can automatically rotate the picture if desired. Note, if you shoot RAW+JPEG, it will only set the Orientation field in the RAW file and not the JPEG file. The orientation sensor on the E-300 and newer cameras, is one of the few new features I wish my E-1 had (the spot meter mode for highlights/shadows of the E-500 is another).

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I really wish i have a grip for my saturday shooting(pagent),hand get sore after pressing shutter button on my camera,will get the grip this saturday.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NVD42 View Post
    ... My question is - I really like the orientation "thigy medoo" that Canikon ? and others ? have - even on review... How do you "turn" your shots... or do you keep them "normal" and only turn for e.g. slide show and when "working" them....
    Hi Nico,

There are three ways that I rotate the portrait images:
    • For slide shows generated directly from the camera, I rotate the portrait shots in-camera with the sub dial of the E-1 (see page 111 of the E-1 Reference Manual). However, I rarely shoot in portrait mode when I know that I'm shooting for a slide show (I used to do many slide shows when I worked with an inner-city outreach ministry to children---the kids loved seeing themselves on the big screen).
    • For JPEG images, I rotate the portrait photos as a group using Adobe Bridge (a part of the Adobe Creative Suite). It provides a light table view where I can quickly select many portrait shots and rotate them in one operation.
    • For raw images, I develop the images one-at-a-time into Photoshop CS2 using the Olympus raw plug-in for Photoshop. Once the image is in Photoshop (in a 16-bit/channel space) I rotate the image with a single button press because I recorded an action for it years ago. (I have recorded many actions to make routine adjustments as quick and easy as possible.)
    I usually don't rotate portrait images when I review them on the camera's LCD monitor because you give up too many pixels, making it more difficult to evaluate a picture by inspection.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...