Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The next E-pro...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default The next E-pro...

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/new...70305edeve.cfm

Note the E1 successor; clearly a removable grip. And a few things about lenses, including a 2x converter (yay!)

Perhaps more:

http://www.digitalkamera.de/Info/E1-...ympus_3900.asp

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: Something different.

Great find Ray,
    It looks like some great things are coming this year.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

definitely has an articulated LV screen on the back--and it's articulated to the side as well as up/down.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto View Post
    definitely has an articulated LV screen on the back--and it's articulated to the side as well as up/down.

That part perplexes me somewhat, as does the odd looking doodad above the viewfinder, which almost suggests a popup flash. Or is that a Live View affectation? All this, as well as the rather odd conforming grip makes me wonder if this is a real representation.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    That part perplexes me somewhat, as does the odd looking doodad above the viewfinder, which almost suggests a popup flash.
    Yes, it definitely has a popup flash. Look at the gap along the side of the pentaprism housing.

/Jörgen - have already started saving...
    Jörgen

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttaton View Post
    Yes, it definitely has a popup flash. Look at the gap along the side of the pentaprism housing.
    I disagree. Whatever that thing above the viewfinder is, it isn't a flash (IMHO). There's an LCD panel up there (right side in photo above), but nothing else. The front and quarter views of the camera also don't suggest a flash, and I doubt Oly would put one on their flagship.
    More tasty speculation . . .

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

All this, as well as the rather odd conforming grip makes me wonder if this is a real representation.
    My guess is that is takes 2x BLM-1 Battery like some other Grips* from other lesser Brands
    *my former KM-A2 BP-400 was like this.

iROK

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That part perplexes me somewhat, as does the odd looking doodad above the viewfinder, which almost suggests a popup flash. Or is that a Live View affectation? All this, as well as the rather odd conforming grip makes me wonder if this is a real representation.

Cheers

Ray
    If this presentation is real, there are some good and some bad news for E-1 owners. Good - that ergonomycs seem to be similiar to E-1, that means - brilliant. Bad - the eyepiece will be not compatible with E-1, but probably compatible with othe E-system models. And battary grip will probably accept not BLL-1, but two BLM-1, also rising compatibility within the system. But for those, who'll buy the new flagship and keep E-1 as a second body it means that they'll have to carry two chargers and two type of batteries.
    From Russia with Love,, Andrey Sudbin, offroad journalist

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttaton View Post
    I Agree!!

The shakey GoogleTranslationBot states: "inserted Pop UP lightning (LZ 10)"
    meThinks this means POP UP Flash with a GuideNumber of 10 (GN 10) & it's low GN is for the 12mm (24mm) coverage of the NEW 12-60mm lens.

iROK

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Like the sound of mechanical manual focusing on the new len's.Never been completly happy with "focus by wire".

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thumbs up The next E-pro...

Greetings,

[The next E-pro has come up in the discussions of several other threads. Let's move that discussion here so we will have one place to gather our information and thoughts.]
    Edit: The above was the intent but my thread was merged into this one ... so I guess we're destined to talk about the new body and lenses in one thread.

Let's start with what we know:
    According to Olympus' PMA 2007 press release:
    • Olympus says the next E-pro has not yet been named.
    • Olympus says it "will make its debut this year" (2007) but we don't yet know when. Olympus also says that "detailed specifications ... will be announced this year."
    • Olympus says it will incorporate a full-time "Live View" with an "enhanced" rear panel LCD.
    That's all Olympus has to say in writing---but that's not all we know because Olympus also provided these three photos:

In my next post, I'll analyze them to glean a bit more information...
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: The next E-pro...

A careful examination of the E-pro photos reveals the following:

Front view observations:
    • The grip is separate.
    • The viewfinder pentaprism hump looks taller (I'm glad about this because I hope it is an indication of an advancement).
    • The remote control and self-timer/remote control lamp have been moved to the left side of the body (left and right are referenced to the photographer holding the camera as when shooting).
    • The lens MF/S-AF/C-AF switch has been removed from the front.
    • The sub dials on both the body and grip has been moved to the front below the shutter button.
    • The shutter button on the body and grip is at a slightly different angle that looks like it may have better ergonomics.
    • An external white balance sensor is present and has been moved a little lower (a curious move).
    • The white balance button has been removed from the front.
    • The DOF preview button is in its original location.
    • There is no built-in flash. Update: Photos from PMA indicate that a built-in popup flash is present.
    • An AC connector appears to be present on the lower left side like an E-1.
    • There appears to be an external flash connector but no remote cable connector (or visa versa) because only one connector is visible on the left side. Perhaps it will use the new-style cable remote that shares to the USB connector. Update: Photos from PMA indicate that both an external flash and a cable remote connector are present.
    • The body has the recessed vertical neck strap eyelets similar to some of their other cameras.
    Rear view observations:
    • An LCD control panel is located on the top and it looks slightly bigger than the one on the E-1.
    • The image file lock button has been moved to the top of the back above the main dial.
    • A main dial is present, giving the new camera a two-dial control system like the E-1.
    • The power on/off switch has been moved to the bottom of the back similar to a Canon body.
    • The memory card cover switch has been moved to the bottom of the back near the new power on/off switch.
    • The navigation arrow pad is similar to before but the OK button has been moved into its center.
    • The viewfinder has a external rectangular shape similar to the E-300/330/500.
    • There is an unknown something above the viewfinder (I'm guessing it may be a wireless transceiver).
    • The monitor LCD appears to be 2.5-inch in size and is articulated. It does not appear to have provision for a protective cover (perhaps it is built in).
    • The grip battery door has been moved from the left end to the back, making it appear that the new grip will use two standard camera batteries similar to an E-300 grip (and most Canon grips).
    • Overall, the camera looks narrower than an E-1 but I could be wrong because the monitor LCD is larger and the control panel LCD also looks larger.
    My impressions are mainly positive. I'd like to know if it will have image stabilization but it's too early to tell from these photos because the camera is devoid of some labels (like the model name) and so it may yet have the new "i.S." badge.

My only disappointment is the apparent lack of a MF/S-AF/C-AF switch. I use it frequently on my E-1. The reason I'm curious about the new external white balance sensor location is that it seems like it will be more easily shadowed, making it less effective. Canon locates theirs up on the pentaprism hump of their pro cameras which seems like a better place to me, too.

Well, that's what I can deduce so far. Let's see what else our sharp eyed friends can spot.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If you look at the picture front on (right hand side), you'll see that there is one screw cap at the front and another screw cap on the side of the body. One remote and the other PC Sync?

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The press release for the 510 suggests the whole range will have 10megapixels, and that the E-1 successor will be in Summer 2007:

"The E-510 incorporates the image pickup technology originally developed for the E-System flagship model that will be launched in the summer of 2007"

Is 10 megapixel enough? The detractors will say otherwise and I'm not one to agree (my 5mp E-1 is plenty good enough), but will it be enough to sway the pro's?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If you look at the picture front on (right hand side), you'll see that there is one screw cap at the front and another screw cap on the side of the body. One remote and the other PC Sync?
    Hi Ray,

No, I think that's an optical illustion in the straight-on front photo caused by the edge of the IR receiver lens. What you're looking at is probably the infrared receiver for the IR remote. Look closer at the front angled view (repeated below with labels) and you'll see that it is flush with the body---it definitely is not a connector cap. Remember that some IR lenses are so dark that they look nearly black unless you shine a bright light on them.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by daveyg View Post
    The press release for the 510 suggests the whole range will have 10megapixels, and that the E-1 successor will be in Summer 2007:

"The E-510 incorporates the image pickup technology originally developed for the E-System flagship model that will be launched in the summer of 2007"

Is 10 megapixel enough? The detractors will say otherwise and I'm not one to agree (my 5mp E-1 is plenty good enough), but will it be enough to sway the pro's?
    Olympus announced that the E-410 would be available May-07 and the E-510 would be available June-07. I would not expect the E-pro to be available until late summer at the earliest or else they would be able to show us more now. Besides "launched in the summer" does not necessarily mean "available in the summer".

As for 10 Mp, there is no indication about the E-pro yet. All we know is that is will have the same "full-time Live View" capability as the E-410 and E-510. That means it will probably use a Live MOS sensor. It wouldn't surprise me if it was 10 Mp but I haven't read anything authoritative that indicates that it will be. Until we hear otherwise from Olympus, the megapixels of the E-pro are unknown.

Will 10 Mp be enough for the pros? I think it will be for many if the rest of the camera is good and I'm expecting that it will be.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'm with Ray on this one. The labelled IR receiver I'll bet on being the TTL socket, a ala OM2/3/4...
    IR receiver and self timer light combined, possibly because AF assist now comes from the pop up flash?
    The connector sticking out the side looks VERY vulnerable. That needs to get WAY smaller, if it's going to last long!

The large ON/OFF switch on the back? Is that for IS, or the main power switch? I liked mine up the top, where I can flick it with a thumb...

Whatever, I am just pleased that we have 2 fine new bodies, LOADS of glass coming, and an E-Pro that looks like it can cut the mustard...
    My ears are grey, my knees are knackered, my eyes are old and bent...

Oly E1 x2 now, both with SHLD-2, 11-22, 14-54, 50-200, EC-14, FL-50, FP-1, various cables, cards etc in a Billingham 335 or Lowe Mini Trekker.

Oly OM-1 x2, OM fit 24/28/35/50/85/135 plus others.

http://catmangler.smugmug.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
    I'm with Ray on this one. The labelled IR receiver I'll bet on being the TTL socket, a ala OM2/3/4...
    But it is oval---not round. It would be round if it were a connector cap and you'd see it sticking out from the body from the angled view. Hopefully Tony or Julie will see one at PMA and they can settle it. As for the connector sticking out the side, that's the way Olympus has been doing them. The E-1 has two.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

OK here are my immediate feeling about the next E-Pro
    1. Although the battery grip apperas to be of the 2 BLM-1 type, it has the same number of buttons and wheels as the HLD-2 (or is there an additional button above the thumb position?) so there is a chance, although remote, that it could fit the new body. Considering what the HLD-2 costed new - let's hope for that!
    2. Although it looks like it's gonna sit nicely in the hand, the ergonomy does not appear to be improved compared to the E-1, rather the contrary, which is a disappointment. There are less buttons and selectors which means more menu-scrolling.
    3. The thing behind the penta-hump, I'd guess is part of a Head-Up Display (HUD). The question is if it is going to be advanced enough to replace menu peeping due to less direct buttons and wheels or if it just is going to display the AF target points as in the E-400?
    4. No chromed details - not even the PC-sync and remote connectors - a big plus for wildlife photographers.
    5. My guess is that it has a pop-up flash. It is OK for me if it is rugged enough.
    6. Live-view is good - and that requires an articulated screen in order to be fully exploitable. OK for me as long as it is rugged enough.
    7. They appear to have kept all the good unique things from the E-1 like weather sealing, WB sensor, etc which is very good IMO.
    So, not so many raving points from my side. Hopefully it will be much more positive to see the specifications and try it out in practice...

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

One thing I'm not so keen about is the lack of a E1 type screen protector, yes you can turn it around but very hard to see it that way. Connector on the side looks a bit of a after thought too. But really, it looks good, hope it preforms as well.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hubbahubba. Summer? My high-school german isn't very good, but it looks like the camera we all have been waiting for. Now the only question is price...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jonr View Post
    Hubbahubba. Summer? My high-school german isn't very good, but it looks like the camera we all have been waiting for. Now the only question is price...
    Jon, I forgot every word of German I learned in high school! ('course it WAS a long time ago now... ) I felt much better when Babelfish didn't translate it much better than I did!

I dunno guys... this announcement is... well... anti-climactic. It appears to be a very competent pro-model. It looks like it's got the bells and whistles everyone had hoped for, and I'm sure the sensor will be gigapixels or something... but it still looks like... well... a camera. It's black... same shape... same buttons, usual places... did I say it's black? I dunno what I was hoping for, but I guess something that says "I'm different"... sort of like when Canon introduced the white finish on their pro teles... you could tell in an instant at any sporting event who was shooting Canon. It was a great advertising gimmick. There is no doubt in anyone's mind when they see an M series Leica. Oh well... I guess I'll just have to enjoy my E1s for a few years more... after all, no one will be able to tell it apart from the new one at 20 paces...

On a serious note, it does look like the successor to the throne will be worthy. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the actual specs to see what it can really do!

Roger

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi

Looking at the pics, the Liveview screen appears to have a hinge at the left side, a bit like on some of the earlier Canon Compacts. That would suggest to me that it flips out to the side and can then be adjusted up or down - so it's not like the E330 screen which is articulated for up and down movement from the body?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yeah, the articulated scren looks great - I agree that it flips out to the side rather than just the E-330's vertical movement.

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by First Light View Post
    The lens MF/S-AF/C-AF switch has been removed from the front.
    I looks to me like the MF-SF-CF switch is up on the side of the penta-prism hump. I also think the round shape is a sync cover, it throws a shadow in one of the pictures.
    Pete