Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PMA Experience Day 1 & 2....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: PMA Experience Day 1, 2, and 3...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckr53 View Post
    Tony...did you get to handle the 14-35 or just look at it in the case? In the photo it dwarfs the 12-60, so it looks fairly hefty. The 77mm filter size is the same as the 35-100, so I've got an idea of the mass...I'm guessing about 1.5x the size of the 7-14???
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    I didn't get to handly anything, but some electronics. (outside of what I owned, and the new lenses)
    The 77mm filter is the same size as the 35-100mm which I think is a good move, then I can use the same polerizer, and neutral Density filter. diamator of the lens is a little less than the 7-14mm. length I think its about the same, maybe a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Witzgall View Post
    Any word on why the 14-35 has been moved to 2008?
    they told me not till the Epro is out, but then they said that the next Epro will be out this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbeakerZ View Post
    Thanks for the coverage Tony.
    I took the time to read the specs you posted in the other thread and see that the 510 is using the BLM1. I'm disappointed in the decision to not put a grip on the 510 but for the market it as aimed at I suspected that would be the case.
    If I read your post correctly, a prosumer version in the E series is planned. I expect that should hit the shelves in 09 or 10. Oh well, my 300 still takes photos and perhaps I can pick up a used 300 body once people start upgrading. That IS in the 510 is really tempting for me though. In my entry to dslr the choices came down to KM and Oly for the obvious reasons.
    my guess is probably a prosumer will be out at some point, but wasn't given any promise when.
    Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    E510 should be more expensive than E330 or not? I am still puzzled by this Olympus move.
    Thanks anyways
    Marek
    I would think that the 510 would be more money than the E330, but I also believe that Oly is trying to grab market share, and by releasing the cameras at an afforable price they will grab more market share. (Also the E-330 would be cheaper in my guess by then.)

Day 3
    Really today I spent most of it upstairs, in the other company booths. It was fun seeing some of the crap people are trying to sell. Most of it didn't interest me, but it was fun to see some of the things.
    I also went back to the panasonic booth, and the L1 guy only really wanted to talk about the P&S cameras. Same with my press meeting yesterday. So I don't have outside of that annoucement much else to share.
    i did grab some shots, and will try to post those tonight.
    Tomorrow, I am going to ditch PMA, and do some turist stuff with the family. But really its been a fun show. I have made I hope some good contacts with the companies, and learned some new things.
    tonight I had dinner with Julie, Larry, (Mr. & Mrs. LLpoolej) Lawrence & his wife. That was great to meet some members face to face. Those pictures will follow too.
    Anyhow for now, I am going to take a break, and go hop in the spa. My legs are aching.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: PMA Experience Day 1 & 2....

Thank you Tony
    It has been great getting a sense of what it is like from a insider point of veiw.
    Between the hands on preveiws and pictures to the meeting and questions you have given us so much more to think about than the standard preveiw ever could.
    I hope you enjoy tomorrow.
    Jim
    E 5, E 3, E 330, C-8080, 8mm FE, 7-14, 11-22, 12-60,PL 25MM F 1.4, 35MM, 50MM F 2, 50-200, 70-300, EX 25, EC 1.4 & 2.0, FL 40, FL 5Or, FL 20, SRF-11, Foam Ring Flash.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tspore View Post
    this shows (poorly) that the 50-200 hasn't changed in size.
    Hey, Tony, does the new 50-200 have internal zooming? It looks like it is set to close to 100mm in the photo with no extension. Perhaps it isn't a working model, but it would be nice (for me) if it was internal zooming.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

(In addition there is a higher Dynamic Range)
    I have been using a E400 and I find this the most exciting bit so far. While the E400 has a different chip that the E410, the dynamic range is OUTSTANDING!! Much better that my E1, and when it does blow the highlights, it almost looks exactly like film. Very little sharp digital cutoff or what I call "digital yellow".

Except for pressing the auto tone correction in Studio in the first and last images, these are all straight from the E400.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Thank you Tony for your hard work for us.
    Does Olympus said anything that the displayed P-1 is the next flagship E-pro or its the mid range E-xx?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Default Re: PMA Experience Day 1, 2, and 3...

Thanks Tony.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Tony, you're a trooper. Hang in there!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

What about the size of the E-pro, compared to the E-1.
    To me it looks in the pictures like the prism hump is a lot higher than on the E-1 and the rest of the camera about the same size. Correct?
    Jörgen

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Tony, how does the 12-60 compare sizewise to 14-54?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Is the 3xx series dead?
    no reason to think that. the E-330 will continue to be released.
    I'd take it that means no upgraded to the E-330 for the foreseeable future? (If not the new sensor, at least put in the new TruePicTurbo, support for wired remote, and any other goodies ...)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Um.... I don't remember this one either. I will check tomorrow. I know that the focus point light is in the center of the screen. But I think that the info is at the bottom, like the E-1.... But I will know more tomorrow.
    Tony thanks for all the info you gave us so far, great job! Did you get a second look at the VF re my question?
    Regards,
    Henk
    ---------------------------------------
    photography is my passion
    you are invited to visit my gallery at http://mordisco.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I'm all done at PMA now. Went back for a bit. Julie and Larry are still there, so they may have more to add.

I added a few Panasonic pictures to this post:
    http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showp...35&postcount=7

Let me try to answer the questions, and if I still missed any let me know. And I will try to come up with an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Jacobs View Post
    Hi Tony, and thanks for the great work.
    Is the noise improvement only related to jpg processing or have the base raw files been improved as well? - Perry
    I didn't see any Raw files. But my guess, both the processing engine, and the sensor are an improvement for the files.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirasir View Post
    Tony, I am authorized by russian 4/3 photocommunity to pass You a thousands of thanks - I have given a link to your posts on our phorum, and guys have fond answers to many of their questions. Thanks a lot!
    Great! glad to see the russian guys on the site. I don't speak any russian, but I am sure that they can get translated, and I will try to get them some answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimG View Post
    Hey, Tony, does the new 50-200 have internal zooming? It looks like it is set to close to 100mm in the photo with no extension. Perhaps it isn't a working model, but it would be nice (for me) if it was internal zooming.
    I think its the same lens, except that it has the new motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    Thank you Tony for your hard work for us.
    Does Olympus said anything that the displayed P-1 is the next flagship E-pro or its the mid range E-xx?
    It will be the EX not Exx, according to my understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttaton View Post
    What about the size of the E-pro, compared to the E-1.
    To me it looks in the pictures like the prism hump is a lot higher than on the E-1 and the rest of the camera about the same size. Correct?
    I only saw it underglass but the prism hump is a little bigger. (It has a flash inside.) but it looks to be about the same size. A Oly rep told julie it was slightly narrower... But I am unsure about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Jacobs View Post
    Tony, how does the 12-60 compare sizewise to 14-54?
    Its a little bigger, maybe about the size of the 11-22mm, (I THINK) 72mm filter size.
    I will be online most of the day, I have so many posts to look at. I think I will be quite busy.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Tony, this has been bothering me for some time...

Can you find out if IS on the 510 works equally well with manual (adapted) lenses as it does with 4/3rds lenses?

A group of us have been debating this on a mailing list. Some say manual lens IS won't work at all, others say it will work equally well, and still others assert it will work, but not as good as it will with 4/3rds lenses.

Thanks for whatever light you can shed on this!
    :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality ::::

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bytesmiths View Post
    Tony, this has been bothering me for some time...
    Can you find out if IS on the 510 works equally well with manual (adapted) lenses as it does with 4/3rds lenses?
    A group of us have been debating this on a mailing list. Some say manual lens IS won't work at all, others say it will work equally well, and still others assert it will work, but not as good as it will with 4/3rds lenses.
    Thanks for whatever light you can shed on this!
    I can't ask Oly for a while. I will start in a few days bugging them again. But really because of the way IS is implimented it should work equally well in all lenses. So I don't see any reason why it won't work.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I only had a one-day pass to the PMA, and only spent one afternoon there.

There were only two things I wanted from PMA, and those were to see the new E-X mock-up and to speak with the Epson technical people about a problem I am having with my 3800 printer.

My wife, Jean, and I did spend about 5 hours walking the aisles and checking out the Lensbaby and other booths of interest.

The only thing I have to report is that I like the looks of the new E-x. But with no specifications, selling price, or release date, I came away with kind of an empty feeling.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Might have some luck probing them on the TruePic III Image Processor
    and the effect all important noise signature. It wont matter shooting RAW but it will become the standard by which the camera is measured. TruPic may be with us for some time, so we should be interested in what they are willing to give, if not in technical language, then more esoteric terms.

My personal take is, although E-400 was a step up, the L1 has the best noise performance. So perhaps the short conclusive question is, how does 510 compare with L1. If it improves on that position, that will indeed be good news.

cheers
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks to FourThirdsPhoto for the quick reporting from the PMA07, with the many questions and answers on the new Olympus products.

Interesting to see which companies that presented various levels of new products at PMA and what those products were. Also the year 2007 has almost started, so next time we'll here some news, would likely to be in August/September, like in any other year.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I just got home from Vegas, so let me try to answer these questions:
    Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    I only had a one-day pass to the PMA, and only spent one afternoon there.
    There were only two things I wanted from PMA, and those were to see the new E-X mock-up and to speak with the Epson technical people about a problem I am having with my 3800 printer.
    My wife, Jean, and I did spend about 5 hours walking the aisles and checking out the Lensbaby and other booths of interest.
    The only thing I have to report is that I like the looks of the new E-x. But with no specifications, selling price, or release date, I came away with kind of an empty feeling.
    Lawrence
    Lawrence,
    I talked to the lens baby developer, about it, and he said that he would send me one to try out. So as soon as I get it I will try to get info up ASAP. The new version of lens baby, is a bit complicated. But I really like the selective focus & the fine focus on it. I held it for about 3 minutes, and already understood how it all went together.
    For those types of shoots it was cool.
    But I will report more later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Might have some luck probing them on the TruePic III Image Processor
    and the effect all important noise signature. It wont matter shooting RAW but it will become the standard by which the camera is measured. TruPic may be with us for some time, so we should be interested in what they are willing to give, if not in technical language, then more esoteric terms.
    My personal take is, although E-400 was a step up, the L1 has the best noise performance. So perhaps the short conclusive question is, how does 510 compare with L1. If it improves on that position, that will indeed be good news.
    cheers
    I must admit, before PMA I hadn't even seen a L1 in person. Nor held it. I thought that it was a new body E-330, and that was it. However, I think tonight I will put a order in for one. It is a very nice to hold camera. It was laid out well, and seemed to function very good.
    I will post my thoughts on the differences between the 410 and the L1 as soon as I can.
    Really they have done some great things with the true pic III technology.
    A new version of Studio and master will also be made available which use this technology for raw shooters. The software is very good compared to the old.
    I will see if I can get permission to post demo copies of it for you guys to have ASAP.
    This next week even though PMA is over I think more stuff will still be coming from the forum here.
    (I do believe that when the reviewers compare the jpeg's out of the new cameras, they will be very satisfied, not only for DR, colors, sharpness, but also with the noise now, I expect that the 410 and 510 will get very high marks.)
    Also according to what I heard, the 510 was a winner of a 07 DIMA award. I need to find a link to confirm this though. (IF anyone has seen it let me know).
    -Tony

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have never picked up and L1 either, and its hard to garner explicit information from reviews sometimes. But i think one of the things you ought examine, is the implementation of LiveView.

From what Ive seen L1 may revert to manual focus in LiveView, but AF comes alive at shutter 1/2 depressed. I have this feeling that it is improved somewhat in E-510/410.

Just the sort of esoteric thing to check out, should you be fortunate enough pick one up.

edit to add: one of the outrageously underrated things of L1 must be the use of a speed dial in place of a mode dial that I hardly ever use, and an aperture ring on the lens. Although of course there is no ring on supplementary lenses, with aperture control then relegated to a supplementary dial. Same layout as my LC-1, and by far the nicest part of that camera.

cheers

PP: pic's oh boy
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

What about live view?
    the new cameras, have live view A & B all in 1. The mirror picks up and all the auto focus comes from the sensor. you can also zoom in and manually focus just like on the E-330. It is both modes in 1. (And btw, it works great!! I really liked the setup)
    what about the Vibration Reduction?
    I couldn't try it out. they would not let me. but said it works good. Sorry I can't give more info on this one.
    Have they sorted the problems in LV mode B then? You've mentioned that you don't think that it brings the mirror down for autofocus but does it still bring the mirror down to flush the data when taking the photo? I'm not convinced yet I have to admit (he says clinging to his 330)

From what Ive seen L1 may revert to manual focus in LiveView, but AF comes alive at shutter 1/2 depressed. I have this feeling that it is improved somewhat in E-510/410.
    Yep, when you half press the shutter button it brings the mirror down blacking out the screen and focuses then pops the mirror back up. Bit clumsy but better than nothing, I believe they offered this functionality on the E-330 with a firmware upgrade. There seems to be some rumours that the E-410/E-510 can autofocus with the mirror down presumably in a similar fashion to how a point and shoot focuses.

edit to add: one of the outrageously underrated things of L1 must be the use of a speed dial in place of a mode dial that I hardly ever use, and an aperture ring on the lens. Although of course there is no ring on supplementary lenses, with aperture control then relegated to a supplementary dial. Same layout as my LC-1, and by far the nicest part of that camera.
    I agree, I like the idea of this (L1 should hopefully be arriving tomorrow), I'd even go as far and say an ISO dial would be great as well so you would be able to change the major settings with ease.

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Regarding the 14-50mm:

#1 - mentioned in another post. It was really nice.
    I'm probably being stupid, where is this post?

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmcl7 View Post
    Regarding the 14-50mm:
    I'm probably being stupid, where is this post?

John
    No not stupid. Its lost for sure.
    Basically, it was something to the effect of, I really, really liked this lens. The Aperture ring, the quality. (Also loved the camera) In fact I liked the combo so much, it has been ordered. So they should be here in a couple of days.
    I will try to get a review up in the next couple of weeks.
    I must say before actually touching the camera, I was put off by the price. But after holding it and playing with it a bit, I think that it is going to find a new home with me.
    Also I will try to get a sample of the 25mm ASAP. To get some thoughts up on that ASAP.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I wish that in mode B, with manual focus and manual exposure, the new cameras and the e330 would just take a picture and not flip the mirror first. Not sure what they are getting out of that, seems like a bug. I hope a firmware update can fix this, or we see it fixed in the production 410/510.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
    I wish that in mode B, with manual focus and manual exposure, the new cameras and the e330 would just take a picture and not flip the mirror first. Not sure what they are getting out of that, seems like a bug. I hope a firmware update can fix this, or we see it fixed in the production 410/510.
    They have to flip the mirror for metering I believe.
    Mr. & Mrs LLpoolej were told that the mirror is 1/2 way down, it focuses with that part of the mirror, and meters. Also it will still drop the mirror to meter (getting the double slap)
    I put it up to my ear, but I couldn't hear if it was a double slap or not, when it took the picture on the floor. So I am no help, to aid in the confusion.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The good thing about the 510 and the halfway mirror thing is it eliminates the shutter lag the 330 has in live view. It is now as fast as any DSLR. I got to use it in that mode and it would shoot off 3fps as long as the card would hold it. Pretty nice really.

The focus on the 510 is very fast. It locked focus immediately in the marginal lighting of PMA. No hunting, no in and out focus. The grip feels nice, nicer than the 500 IMO. I didn't hear a double slap of the mirror. I did hear it when it opened halfway and it would make me think it had taken a photo

I have to say the Oly guys at the booth were super. We probably drove them nuts how we hung around. One of the guys is even going to come down to TN and shoot one of my events with me, bringing the 90-250 and 300 for me to play with!

Having seen what is to come, I am just not worried or stressed at all. It is GOOD.