Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have to vent - viewfinders of today's cameras are absolutely ridiculous

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: I have to vent - viewfinders of today's cameras are absolutely ridiculous

Hi

just my 2 cents on the topic... Yes, I most definetly miss the larger viewfinder, it gave me a much higher keeper rate when i sued mf.

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Certainly not but the chances are pretty high that you will get a decent keepers rate, say > 50%, if you have a good viewfinder. I feel that many photographers of today doesn't even give MF a try but start complaining about the AF as soon as the light gets low. I don't blame them because the VFs are so poor that it is usually futile to try to outbeat the AF system with them.
    Trying to do panning with mf isn't so hard... Just a matter of good technique and not expecting every picture to be sharp. So as Jens says, you'd usually get more than 50% sharp pictures, unless you're trying to do fast birds (kingfishers, for ex).
    Now, with the e-1, practically all the pictures are unsharp, due to the small viewfinder.

Having said that, when I went to 4/3rds I knew I was giving up viewfinder brightness in exchange for something which I fing useful for wildlife photography: 2x magnification (and therefore lighter lenses)

cheers
    d

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: I have to vent - viewfinders of today's cameras are absolutely ridiculous

To be honest I do not have a problem with the E-1 veiwfinder but as a spectacle wearer the E-500 annoys me no end. You have to shift eye position from central to see the info on the rh side of the veiwfinder and in anthing brighter than a overcast day it is impossible to see..I do sincerly hope the E-510 has the info at the bottom of the veiwfinder like the E-1 ...Does anyone know for sure?
    Regards Paul
    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post
    To be honest I do not have a problem with the E-1 veiwfinder
    I can only agree. Maybe, all 4/3 viewfinders are small due to the mirror size, but E-1 viewfinder is really bright. I often shoot, having both eyes opened, looking with my right eye in the viewfinder, and with the left monitoring the situation around. And the picture in the viewfinder is almost as bright, as what I see with unarmed eye. And if I have Sigma 30/1.4 attached - I just cannot see any difference in the brightness of the picture, which I see by each eye. I( also have KatzEye split-image screen - and it's help in manual focusing cannot be overestimated.
    From Russia with Love,, Andrey Sudbin, offroad journalist

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Gentlemen:

Unless you work as a professional photographer and your client demands digital capture, use film to satisfy your photographic urges. That way the finders will be just what you want. Scan the images and do with them as you wish.

My venting has to do with delay. The Olympus Stylus Epic autofocused and exposed as fast as it could cycle. The three Olympus digital models I use (E-300, C-8080, and SP-350) take their sweet time when autofocusing.

Carl