Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling my studio

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Selling my studio

I just posted on the Buy & Sell Forum the fact I am selling my complete studio equipment in case anyone is interested.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default Re: Selling my studio

Lawrence, without intending to be too personal or intrusive, would it be indelicate to inquire what is prompting this? You do beautiful work! It would be a shame for you to stop now... I enjoy seeing your work tremendously!

Roger

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

Lawrence:

I concur with Roger. What gives, if you don't mind us asking.
    John

-- Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Really...I'm shocked

Carlos

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I really, really really hope everything is ok with you Lawrence. Please let us know what's happening!

Truly yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Same here.
    You do not have to give a reason, I do not want to intrude in your private life, but you will understand that this comes a quite a shock to a lot of members here.
    Luc

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

Luc:

"Shock" has gotta be the understatement of the year.
    John

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roger h View Post
    Lawrence, would it be indelicate to inquire what is prompting this? You do beautiful work! It would be a shame for you to stop now... I enjoy seeing your work tremendously!

Roger
    Roger,

I have been having a hard time dealing with the city I live in. They don't allow home photo studios. I went to a special meeting they had that was put on by the Chamber of Commerce and was attended by the person in the city who has the say about businesses. I had sent them a letter prior to the meeting requesting a change in the law or an exception in my case. During the meeting they made it clear they would not change the law, or give me an exception. It seems they are protecting the two existing photo studios in town. By the way, my home studio is about 10 times better than either of the existing studios.

I then decided I would set up a web site and try and sell some of my images, as well as start a framing business, on a new web site. I registered the name Camera&Brush (www.cameraandbrush.com) and started working on my new web site. At the same time I sent a letter to the Secretary of State telling them I would like to operate this business as a division of my existing business, Black Canyon Systems LLC. The reply I received did not address my question but only contained the information on how to start a new company. I am not going to spend thousands of dollars to set up a new company for a business that may not generate any income.

As you can probably tell, I am very disgusted with the politics around here. I am 71 years old, and not about to spend the hundreds of thousands of dollars to build a legal studio just to make the politicians happy.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Lawrence I thought you lived in Nevada not Moscow? I was always under the impression that America was the home of entrepreneurship and free enterprise. Can't you find a local media outlet to raise some stink around your town? I realize it may not work out in the end but nothing gets results faster then negative press.

You do some amazing work Lawrence and for purely selfish reasons I'd love you to continue.

Mike
    Photography is a marvelous discovery. A science that has attracted the greatest intellects; An art that excites the most astute minds... ( Nadar)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    As you can probably tell, I am very disgusted with the politics around here. I am 71 years old, and not about to spend the hundreds of thousands of dollars to build a legal studio just to make the politicians happy.

Lawrence
    Dear Lawrence, I'm really sorry to hear about idiotic politicians living in your area. They are pretty much the same anywhere
    At least nothing terrible is happing with your or your family health. I was so scared...

Now back to business. Is it possible that you simply register another company as a subsidiary of your existing, that is doing photo studio business?

I know that a lot of people here in Canada, when they work as a contractors (in IT business for examples) they open their own companies and they are then employed by their company, and company they are doing contract with, then contract their company.

I'm almost 100% sure that something like that can be done in your case as well.

All the best to you and your family Lawrence!

Yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

Lawrence:

Thank heavens it's just politics. I was concerned it was something more serious.

One wonders if this is just a petty bureaucrat playing God. What does your city councilthingy (up here we call them aldermen) have to say about this?

Is it a zoning issue? I know that here (YYC) you can have a home studio, provided that the traffic isn't onerous. You just have to apply for a bylaw relaxation and a permit. Mind you, if you want to run a foundry or a welding shop, they'll say no. Maybe that would be an avenue to pursue.

Is it because they still think a photographic studio involves chemicals? That can cause grief because you have to prove that you are disposing of used photographic chemicals safely but surely they would understand that modern studios don't use chemicals.

It'd be a shame for you to shutter (no pun intended) your studio just as you are "busting into the bigtime"

Strength brother. I'd keep looking for ways around things, including friends in high places, friends in the media and friends with a garage in an area that zoning lets you do this sort of thing.
    John

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lawrence, I'm so sorry to here about your situation. My immediate reaction to it was to ask whether you have considered the possibility of renting commercial space to continue your business. If you have never rented office space, you may be surprised at how cheap it can be. Location is apparently not a big factor for you as you are now getting business in your home. So, if you shop around you may be happy with how cheap you could get some nice, basic space.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lawrence,

I don't know ANYthing about laws and statutes.
    I don't know ANYthing about companies, subsidiary or otherwise.

But I do know a little about life.
    And I do know a lilttle about talent.

I do hope you can force yourself, even given all your frustration, to take a deep breath, count to 10, and not do ANYthing TOO precipitously.

Maybe sell all your stuff in a few months if you have to.
    But not today.

Give it a chance to see, yet, what might be possible.

Jim

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Most cities no longer want businesses ran from residences. Customer traffic is one concern. Not filling businesses in the business district is another concern. They get local taxes paid on business revenue.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    Lawrence,

I do hope you can force yourself, even given all your frustration, to take a deep breath, count to 10, and not do ANYthing TOO precipitously.

But not today.

Jim
    I completely agree with Jim on this one.
    Dear Lawrence, you are luckily not in a hurry to get rid of it. You are simply disgusted about everything. I was in a similar situation last Friday - I went to Ballroom dance competition, and stupid "pro" photographer (which have a team of at least 5 shooters) "forbid" be to use my "professional" equipment (while peacefully sitting on my place not disturbing absolutelly anybody) - and they had that printed out in the brochure. To make story funnier, it was wriite - forbidden use of professional equipment - not selling of photographs

Anyway, I just decided, to peaceful lay down my E1 and 50-200 and enjoy in dancing - and NEVER EVER go to that competition again And believe me, I had great time!

So please Lawrence, let it cool off for some time, and I bet you (and perhaps some people here that knows law etc can help) will be able to find proper solution.

And at the end - your talent WILL NOT BE in vain!

Yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default WOW...

... what happened to the "American dream"?

I thought Swedish laws were restrictive... but in this respect it seems like we have a lot of freedom compared to the USA.

Lawrence, I'm sorry that the politicians and the two established studios are making life difficult for you but it is ridiculous that you shouldn't be able to start small and work in your home studio. Is it also forbidden to run a hair-dresser or dog grooming business in a home-located space?

It doesn't sound right!

I hope you get the problem sorted out so that you can continue with something that you obviously enjoy very much and that you are very good at as well!

Cheer, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ProAcFan View Post
    Lawrence I thought you lived in Nevada not Moscow? I was always under the impression that America was the home of entrepreneurship and free enterprise. Can't you find a local media outlet to raise some stink around your town? I realize it may not work out in the end but nothing gets results faster then negative press.

You do some amazing work Lawrence and for purely selfish reasons I'd love you to continue.

Mike
    Thanks Mike,

This is a little town of about 14,000 people and it is somewhat of a different kind of town. It was the government town for the workers who built the Boulder Dam. It is still the only town in Nevada that does not allow gambling. The town also has a growth ordinance that prohibits more than 100 new homes build during a one year period. As you can see, they are quite controlling everything.

However, it was a great place to raise our children.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bojan Volcansek View Post
    Dear Lawrence, I'm really sorry to hear about idiotic politicians living in your area. They are pretty much the same anywhere
    At least nothing terrible is happing with your or your family health. I was so scared...

Now back to business. Is it possible that you simply register another company as a subsidiary of your existing, that is doing photo studio business?

I know that a lot of people here in Canada, when they work as a contractors (in IT business for examples) they open their own companies and they are then employed by their company, and company they are doing contract with, then contract their company.

I'm almost 100% sure that something like that can be done in your case as well.

All the best to you and your family Lawrence!

Yours Bojan
    Bojan,

I think what you are suggesting is what I was trying to do. I wanted to use my base company (Black Canyon Systems LLC) as I am already set up with all the licenses to collect sales tax, etc. I don't want to go through the cost and all the paper work of running two separate companies, but they apparently don't approve of doing this.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well Lawrence... it appears most of us feel pretty strongly about you not giving up in this. LOL. I agree with them too, the city should not be able to tell you that you CAN'T set up something as safe or as simple as a home photo studio. It's not like you're starting a Meth lab.

I know how difficult bureaucracy can be, I work for the US Air Force, but there is always a way around it if you know where to look. I've been checking with the Small Business Development Center here where I live and it seems like it should be a straight forward process. You might want to check with them where you live and see what they say. And as Mike pointed out, a letter to the local newspaper might bring your problem to the attention of someone who knows how to fix it.

Just hang in there, dont let the guy with a roll of red tape in one hand tell you what you can't do.
    Zach ~ E-500, ZD14-45, ZD40-150, ZD35(Macro), FL-36

My Photography album

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TomServoCA View Post
    Lawrence:

Thank heavens it's just politics. I was concerned it was something more serious.

One wonders if this is just a petty bureaucrat playing God. What does your city councilthingy (up here we call them aldermen) have to say about this?

Is it a zoning issue? I know that here (YYC) you can have a home studio, provided that the traffic isn't onerous. You just have to apply for a bylaw relaxation and a permit. Mind you, if you want to run a foundry or a welding shop, they'll say no. Maybe that would be an avenue to pursue.

Is it because they still think a photographic studio involves chemicals? That can cause grief because you have to prove that you are disposing of used photographic chemicals safely but surely they would understand that modern studios don't use chemicals.

It'd be a shame for you to shutter (no pun intended) your studio just as you are "busting into the bigtime"

Strength brother. I'd keep looking for ways around things, including friends in high places, friends in the media and friends with a garage in an area that zoning lets you do this sort of thing.
    I guess I just got fed up with trying to play their game, or rather trying to get around playing their game.

In the meeting I discussed the possibility of the original law being due to the chemicals of years ago, but their response was, "it just isn't right for someone to operate a photo studio out of their home when the existing photo studios have invested so much money in their legal businesses".

I just have a feeling that maybe one of the owners of an existing studio has some inside contacts.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
    Lawrence, I'm so sorry to here about your situation. My immediate reaction to it was to ask whether you have considered the possibility of renting commercial space to continue your business. If you have never rented office space, you may be surprised at how cheap it can be. Location is apparently not a big factor for you as you are now getting business in your home. So, if you shop around you may be happy with how cheap you could get some nice, basic space.
    I did check this out, and found it will run about $1600 per month on a building that will need a lot of work to convert it to a studio. I think a lot of my problem is my age. If I were 30 years old, I would have a full-blown legal studio in a minute. However, at age 71, I don't think I want to spend all my time away from home, sitting in a studio waiting for customers. Also, at this age, I don't want to invest all the money that would be required to build a studio of the class I would insist on having.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    Lawrence,

But not today.

Jim
    Jim,

I have considered this too. It takes a long time to make me mad, but once mad I generally take action. I am also the kind of person that stays mad for a long time.

I expect it will take a long time to sell my studio equipment because I don't want to sell it piece-by-piece.

Your's is good advice though.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: WOW...

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    ... what happened to the "American dream"?

I thought Swedish laws were restrictive... but in this respect it seems like we have a lot of freedom compared to the USA.

Lawrence, I'm sorry that the politicians and the two established studios are making life difficult for you but it is ridiculous that you shouldn't be able to start small and work in your home studio. Is it also forbidden to run a hair-dresser or dog grooming business in a home-located space?

It doesn't sound right!

I hope you get the problem sorted out so that you can continue with something that you obviously enjoy very much and that you are very good at as well!

Cheer, Jens.
    Jens,

I should have pointed out something else that adds to my problems. I have been asked to do some industrial work where they insist I have insurance. I tried to get insurance for my photography business, in fact I joined the WPPA just because I heard they have a great insurance for photographers. When I tried to get the insurance, after joining WPPI, they would not sell me insurance because I don't have a legal photography business.

I have just been going around in circles and getting more disgusted every day. I have just given up.

I know that hair-dresser is another business they do not allow.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Lawrence,
    Do not sell anything yet.
    I know you enjoy photography a lot and it shows in your excellent work.
    If they do not allow you to do it professionally, there can not be any law against being a dedicated "hobby"-photographer, I presume.
    Over here you are allowed to earn a little extra to add to your pension.
    I do not know if something like that exists where you live.
    Anyhow I can not imagine that you can not enjoy your beautiful hobby.
    And if you give some photo's to your models for free or to compensate for their time and effort, that can not be against any law either I believe.

Just do not do anything hasty today that you may regret tomorrow.

Is there not a club you can join, or can you not share your knowledge . . . just looking for possibilities to continue meaningfully.

Luc

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

So...no mail order business...or Internet(Do they know what that is?)

Post office Box # in anoher city...

Amazing

Carlos