Thread: Computer/Camera Backpack

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Computer/Camera Backpack

My wife and I will be traveling some this summer and fall. I want to take my camera gear and computer with me so I am looking for a computer/camera backpack.

I bought a Quantaray Pro but my laptop (dell inspiron 5100) will not fit. So I learned my lesson and I have found 2 that actually spec the computer compartment from Tamrac and they fit in my price range.

Tamrac 5549 adventure 9
    Tamrac 5258 CyperPack 9

I have not found any others that even give the dimensions for the computer storage area. I need at least 13 x 11 x 2 which these will support.

Has anyone used these backpacks? Do you have a preference. I am leaning toward the Adventure 9 because I like the layout but I really would like thoughts from anyone that has used these bags or any others that will fit my laptop requirements.

Thanks

Maddog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: Computer/Camera Backpack

You might check out Lowepro's new Vertex line of backpacks. I have a Dell E1505 which should go in the Vertex 200 with ease.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Hi. First post here.

I have the Adventure 9 and I like it alot. The top non-camera/non-computer section seems kind of small, but holds alot of stuff (portable HD, card reader, mouse, power brick, cables + more).

The computer compartment holds my Dell e1505 well and the camera compartment holds all of my camera stuff. Well padded and adjustable dividers in the camera section.

Now if only I could go back in time and have waited for the digital camo one they came out with about a month after I bought the grey one . . .

HTH,
    Jeff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Computer/Camera Backpack

Quote Originally Posted by Maddogmd11 View Post
    My wife and I will be traveling some this summer and fall. I want to take my camera gear and computer with me so I am looking for a computer/camera backpack.

I bought a Quantaray Pro but my laptop (dell inspiron 5100) will not fit. So I learned my lesson and I have found 2 that actually spec the computer compartment from Tamrac and they fit in my price range.

Tamrac 5549 adventure 9
    Tamrac 5258 CyperPack 9

I have not found any others that even give the dimensions for the computer storage area. I need at least 13 x 11 x 2 which these will support.

Has anyone used these backpacks? Do you have a preference. I am leaning toward the Adventure 9 because I like the layout but I really would like thoughts from anyone that has used these bags or any others that will fit my laptop requirements.

Thanks

Maddog
    I was just on a trip to Austin and Sunnyvale, and stopped in Fryes and I picked up a Lowepro CompuDaypack which can fit my camera gear just barely (except for flash and spare memory/batteries) in the bottom part, my CPAP machine in the front part, and my work laptop (Acer Ferrari) in laptop section. The idea is to get down to a single carry on bag, instead of abusing the one bag + 'personal' item (somehow when they say camera bag as a personal item, they probably did not mean MY camera bag).
    http://www.adorama.com/LPCDPLG.html?...pack&item_no=1
    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...tebook_camera/

One thing to watch out for is airplane carry on sizes. While the IATA standard size is 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22" X 17.7" X 9.8"), a lot of the computer + camera backpacks are bigger than that. Even so, some airlines have smaller carry on rules, particularly the regional airlines. I had to gate check my CompuDaypack on one of my flights coming back home.

In addition to backpacks, you can get shoulder bags with laptop pockets. I have the National Geographic NG-2475 should bag, that can carry all of my gear plus a laptop:
    http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/s...ead.php?t=9768
    http://www.adorama.com/NGSBM.html?se...2475&item_no=1

Finally there is Think Tank Photo that specializes in camera bags (and are a sponsor of this site, so presumably you want to go through the ad links):
    http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Michael,

thanks for the great info. It is much appreciated. I look it over.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Maddogmd11 View Post

Tamrac 5549 adventure 9
    Tamrac 5258 CyperPack 9

Thanks

Maddog
    I have the Cyberpack 9. It is quite nice, but I went to a smaller bag because my Thinktank Photo bag fits more easily in the overhead bins of the Embraer 120 turboprop plane that I fly all the time. The Tamrac will fit, too, but I usually removed the laptop.

Check out this link here. Mine is still for sale.

http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=6769
    http://hestamm.zenfolio.com
    E5, HLD-4 grip, 12-60swd, 14-35, 50-200swd, 35-100mm, 9-18mm, TC1.4, TC2.0, OM 500mm f8, FL-50R flash, ThinkTank Photo Airport Antidote, Velbon CF tripod

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I use a the big Crumpler Backpack (can't remeber the name off the top of my head) Carries a 17" MBP with power supply, E500, 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 35mm, FL36, and filters and bats with room for more to spare. PLus the side pockets are huge though unpadded.

It carries all that stuff quite comfotabley. easily 25-30lb. Very little fatigue even on long hauls. One greatthing which can also be a pain is that it open at the side gainst your back so you can't have someone pull stuff out of it for you. On the othher hand, you put it down on the dirt the side touching you stays clean.

I've taken it on planes and its way over the carry on limit, plus with all that gear I'm usually over weight. I found if you have it on your back when you check in alot of the times the people don't notice and just let you go go. Now watch my next flight they'll call me on it because I'm bragging.

Good luck finding a pack to hold the Macbook and camera gear was a bit of pain.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I really want to thank everyone for their comments and information. I checked out the Lowpro's. The thinktanks were just too expensive. I decided to tryout the adventure 9 because, while it does not have a huge area for camera gear it meets my needs exactly and I have room above for a "plane" lunch and a book. I also like that it had both chest and waist straps.

Now if I get that big raise.....

Thanks again to everyone that was so great in providing my guidance. It is very much appreciated and I hope that I can return the favor in the future.

Maddog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Hey Maddog,

I travel with the Tamrac and love it and I suspect you will too. Like you say - plenty of room for not only a full basic camera kit but "stuff" up above that and the computer in the padded compartment. Works good/lasts a long time.

Best,
    Oly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I've used the Lowepro Computrekker (http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...rekker_AW.aspx). It carries a large laptop, an underwater housing, a couple of add-on lenses, a couple of cameras and two underwater strobes. I think it should meet most of your needs. On major airline routes, I have had no problems carrying it on. Once, on a puddle jumper, they threatened to put it in baggage. I politely explained that I would prefer to go in baggage and have the backpack take my seat. When she realized that I was serious, she found a spot for it.
    http://www.swimswithsharks.com
    http://www.topsidephotos.com/

E-3, E-330, 12-60, 14-54, 50, 40-150, 70-300, ex-25, fl-50r