Thread: A few from today.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default A few from today.

Here's one and a few more are here: http://www.australianimage.com.au/people5.htm

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Re: A few from today.

Those are really nice Ray, don't know how they could get better

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Pro quality from a pro. Great contrast, very strong colors, sharp where they should be, it is not only the camera, it is a lot about who uses it.
    WOW
    Luc

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Great shot, Ray! I like the color and your use of the light. Thanks for the memorable posting.

Rocky

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Brilliant Ray. I love the facial expressions you have captured so well.

I read in my local newspaper today (Gainesville, Florida. USA) That the Gainesville Rugby Club has won the USA Rugby South Championship Series. So off to the playoffs, May 12-13th. The thing is.... I didnt even know we had a rugby team until today! As you may know Rugby in the USA is not a very popular sport especially when compared to American Football & Baseball. ( I'm not sure why, it looks great)
    So your post is timely and very interesting to me, as I now have a new photographic endeavor. I'm not even sure if I could find a Rugby ball ( Is that the correct term for the ball? ) for purchase in our local sporting stores...

Anyway, you have inspired me. So the next opportunity I have to shoot our local boys. I will be there.

Question#1 What camera & lens are you currently using for your sports?

Question#2 I shoot my kids soccer games with my E-1 or E500 and the 50-200 Zukio mostly. "A" mode and I try to keep my SS greater than 200.
    Do you have any suggestion that may help me increase my yield?

Your shots are great, Thanks for the inspiration
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks all.

Iím slowly getting back into the flow, as far as football goes. After six months of shooting cricket (the most boring sport in the world), itís taken me a few games to get my brain attuned to the significant differences between the two. My first match was almost a disaster, because my reflexes and mindset was in a completely different plane.

Chris

Iím pleased that you guys over the pond are taking an interest in other football variations than just Gridiron. I know that soccer is a big thing and there are even a few Aussie Rules teams about, but I didnít know that rugby was on the agenda as well. I wonder which version they play, Union or League. The former is called a game for thugs played by gentlemen and the latter a game for gentlemen played by thugs. Try Google for an explanation.

Rugby should be easier to shoot in many respects (than Aussie Rules), as it follows a similar pattern to Gridiron, in that the ball moves in somewhat predictable way, has to be thrown (so it doesnít go as far) and is governed by rules dictating how many attempts at getting the ball forward each side is allowed. Aussie Rules has none of this and itís mainly a free for all.

I use two E1s and two lenses for Aussie Rules, the 90-250mm with 1.4 extender (2x when it becomes available) and the 35-100mm (with the 1.4x when I can swap with the other). Aussie Rules is played on fairly large fields, so you need reach for when the play moves away and be prepared to use a shorter lens for when the play gets close. The 50-200mm with extender will work, but when the conditions get dim, you tend to suffer. That said, the 50-200mm should be an excellent lens for rugby, as the distances arenít as dramatic and you really only want to get shots of the play coming towards you or side on (you have to pick a spot and wait for the game to come to you). Every sport has a Ďsweet spotí, where the photographer will maximise his returns. Watch where the pros position themselves and itíll be for a reason. If one side is stronger than the other, they move to compensate.

With all these sorts of sports, you need to keep your shutter speed at no less than 1/500 (adult sports at least). The action will happen very fast and while some arm/leg blur is OK, you have to get faces sharp. This minimum shutter speed also helps to freeze the ball if itís being thrown. You need to shoot in multi-shot mode and take things in short bursts. The other thing you need to do is learn the sport and then learn to anticipate when things are likely to happen. You will pick this up fairly fast if you apply yourself.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I wonder.. does #4 try to kick the ball or does he try to eliminate #25?
    It must be a dangerous game for I see a loose hand in mid-air on the right. Good job Ray, I think you did not post the best one from your website.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Henk
    ---------------------------------------
    photography is my passion
    you are invited to visit my gallery at http://mordisco.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Rugby Union is the most common version played here in the USA and is what the Gainsville team played. Americans don't usually know that there are 3 different types of football (4 if you include socer) played in Australia.
    I just realised that there is a Jacksonville, FL team too that plays just down the road from me. I will have to check them out next season.

Richard

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Those are great. Talk about capturing the moment! The color and lighting are really nice on the one you posted.

Julie

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Ray...

Ray,

Thanks for spending your time and sharing your advice with me.
    I will take your advice to the field and give the shutter a work out ASAP.
    rkreen (Richard) posted that my home team plays "Rugby Union"
    Much to learn!!! I own the 35-100 lens and never use it, its a shame but i'm unreasonably protective of that lens and it never leaves home. (That will change!!!!) I'm not a frequent poster, I'm more of a lurker and I have enjoyed your many contributions as well as your website.

Thanks much

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    Thanks all.

Iím slowly getting back into the flow, as far as football goes. After six months of shooting cricket (the most boring sport in the world), itís taken me a few games to get my brain attuned to the significant differences between the two. My first match was almost a disaster, because my reflexes and mindset was in a completely different plane.

Chris

Iím pleased that you guys over the pond are taking an interest in other football variations than just Gridiron. I know that soccer is a big thing and there are even a few Aussie Rules teams about, but I didnít know that rugby was on the agenda as well. I wonder which version they play, Union or League. The former is called a game for thugs played by gentlemen and the latter a game for gentlemen played by thugs. Try Google for an explanation.

Rugby should be easier to shoot in many respects (than Aussie Rules), as it follows a similar pattern to Gridiron, in that the ball moves in somewhat predictable way, has to be thrown (so it doesnít go as far) and is governed by rules dictating how many attempts at getting the ball forward each side is allowed. Aussie Rules has none of this and itís mainly a free for all.

I use two E1s and two lenses for Aussie Rules, the 90-250mm with 1.4 extender (2x when it becomes available) and the 35-100mm (with the 1.4x when I can swap with the other). Aussie Rules is played on fairly large fields, so you need reach for when the play moves away and be prepared to use a shorter lens for when the play gets close. The 50-200mm with extender will work, but when the conditions get dim, you tend to suffer. That said, the 50-200mm should be an excellent lens for rugby, as the distances arenít as dramatic and you really only want to get shots of the play coming towards you or side on (you have to pick a spot and wait for the game to come to you). Every sport has a Ďsweet spotí, where the photographer will maximise his returns. Watch where the pros position themselves and itíll be for a reason. If one side is stronger than the other, they move to compensate.

With all these sorts of sports, you need to keep your shutter speed at no less than 1/500 (adult sports at least). The action will happen very fast and while some arm/leg blur is OK, you have to get faces sharp. This minimum shutter speed also helps to freeze the ball if itís being thrown. You need to shoot in multi-shot mode and take things in short bursts. The other thing you need to do is learn the sport and then learn to anticipate when things are likely to happen. You will pick this up fairly fast if you apply yourself.

Cheers

Ray
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Richard...

Richard
    If you ever decide to attend a Jacksonville rugby game and want to get together with a fellow Olympian just send me a heads-up. I'm 1.5 hours away from JAX (Gainesville).

Quote Originally Posted by rkrenn View Post
    Rugby Union is the most common version played here in the USA and is what the Gainsville team played. Americans don't usually know that there are 3 different types of football (4 if you include socer) played in Australia.
    I just realised that there is a Jacksonville, FL team too that plays just down the road from me. I will have to check them out next season.

Richard
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Alyways good to see you post pictures here Ray!

I have taken my Camera along to a few AFL games and Now I have the 1.4TC I Think I could do a bit better than I did with just the 50-200.

I might have to haul myself along to more games and shoot more!
    About Bob

Daily Photoblog and Photography Blog

Need somewhere to host a photo - Free Image Hosting

E-3, HLD4, E300, HLD3, ZD11-22, ZD 14-45, ZD14-54, Sigma 30 f1.4, ZD35 Macro, ZD40-150(orig), ZD50-200, EC-14 and EX-25, fl-36.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shrinkpictures View Post
    Alyways good to see you post pictures here Ray!

I have taken my Camera along to a few AFL games and Now I have the 1.4TC I Think I could do a bit better than I did with just the 50-200.

I might have to haul myself along to more games and shoot more!
    Thanks

The 50-200mm with the 1.4x does a pretty good job all said and done, it's only at the extremes where it suffers somewhat. The good thing about AFL in Australia, is that you can take along your camera and shoot as much as you like and not be hassled because you happen to have something that looks pro.

Cheers

Ray