Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I want a Sigma 24 f/1.8?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Question Why do I want a Sigma 24 f/1.8?

Something is luring me to this lens. I'm not sure what it is other than I haven't bought a lens since September '06 and may be suffering some lens lust.
    I guess that I'd like a "normal" prime and the 30s and 35s are a bit too long. The Leica is out of my price range so it's not a consideration.
    Will you please talk me out of it!
    For those who aren't aware, I have the 8mm FE, the "awesome" 11-22, the excellent 14-54 and the 40-150. As you can see, "long" is not an issue for me.
    I have seen some images made with the lens, specifically by Olyinaz, and was impressed.
    Thanks for the support!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: Why do I want a Sigma 24 f/1.8?

You can think to yourself - It isn't fast enough. Way to slow. Its only F1.8 You should only buy it if it were F1.4....
    Does that help in the decision?
    Even though I didn't buy that argument It may help.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Thanks for the attempt Tony, but it didn't work!
    Luckily, no one has it in stock and I've searched all of the usual suspects.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

While we are on the topic, a guy in one of my classes had an E-500 and the 24mm 1.8 today. I got to see it in the flesh and hold it, it's huge! I can ask him where he got it on Monday.

Jamie

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's a DG lens, so it's image circle covers the 135-film format.

In my case, I rather save some more money for the Leica D 25mm f/1.4, or spend my lens money on another lens higher up on my wish list, i.e. a lens reaching 300mm, 400mm, or even 500mm.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

If it's the Leica you really want (but can't afford), you will probably never be quite happy with the Sigma, so don't get it.

/JŲrgen
    JŲrgen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Well B&H had it in stock Sat. and I bought it . Quick question, does anybody know their turn-around time? The sooner it comes in, the sooner I'll make up some stuff to convince you don't need it, but I do.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Bill, I guess I won't be the one to talk you out of it - but when compared to the sigma 30mm it is a bit slow - You need to borrow one for a few days so you can decide for yourself that it is not what you really want or to totally confirm your LL! (Lens Lust)
    About Bob

Daily Photoblog and Photography Blog

Need somewhere to host a photo - Free Image Hosting

E-3, HLD4, E300, HLD3, ZD11-22, ZD 14-45, ZD14-54, Sigma 30 f1.4, ZD35 Macro, ZD40-150(orig), ZD50-200, EC-14 and EX-25, fl-36.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have purchased many items from B&H and can't remember when it ever took over a week for them to deliver,,

enjoy the lens,, it is a good one,, I would have no second thoughts over it not being a Leica,, many folks pay a lot to get that red dot on their equipment and I question if it is really worth it,,

have handled a few Leicas and used them and cannot say I find them worth all that extra,,

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Why do I want a Sigma 24 f/1.8?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgrabber View Post
    Well B&H had it in stock Sat. and I bought it . Quick question, does anybody know their turn-around time? The sooner it comes in, the sooner I'll make up some stuff to convince you don't need it, but I do.
    Bear in mind their holiday schedule. They are closed this Tuesday and will re-open on Friday morning (and then presumably they are closed as normal on Saturday, and since Monday is Memorial day in the USA, there are probably no outgoing shipments that day either).

Quoting from their site: 'Rush orders placed before Tuesday, May 22nd at 11:30am will be shipped before we close. (Overnight or 2-day Shipping Options)'.

Looking back, my last order with them was March 2006. I ordered some stuff on Friday March 10th, and got it Thursday March 16th. I live in Massachusetts, and while it isn't that far to NY, I've been noticing recently that UPS seems to hold packages marked for 3 day delivery to take 3 days, even if it could be delivered faster. Newegg on the other hand always seems to get me stuff much quicker even if I don't order next day mail.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

It's a great lens Bill. Olympus has a nice 77mm center squeeze cap for it now too.

Here's the link to that gallery again for anyone interested:

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz/sigma_24mm_f18

Best,
    Oly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Turner View Post
    Luckily, no one has it in stock and I've searched all of the usual suspects.
    Amazon does seem to have it: http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Aspheric...9734570&sr=8-2

I got to that link by clicking the add for the lens on this site.

Best,
    Oly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

OLYMPUS HAS A SQUEEZE CAP FOR IT!!!!! YESSSS!! Thanks for the gallery. I'm really looking forward to the lens coming in now. (Thanks again for saying that olympus has a squeeze cap for it. I love the one on my 35mm macro.)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Default It's here!! It's here!!!!

Got in the 24mm today. First impressions: (1) It weighs as much as my E-500, but is seems to improve the overall feel of the camera IMO, (2) Build quality feels excellent (3) MF on this baby is a dream, even on the E-500. Very fluid and smooth. (4) AF hunts a bit, but when it locks in it is perfect, (5) The macro is just what I needed. The f1.8 is very nice, and is still sharp even wide open. (After a few more days with this lens, I'll probably end up selling my Zuiko 35mm macro.)
    Now this is for Bill. For the price I paid ($350 with shipping), it is an excellent normal prime. The thing that sold me on the lens is the macro (perhaps I should say the close focusing ability.) I don't know if you want to start macro or not. If you want to use it for street photography, and don't mind manual focusing occasionally, it is an excellent lens. An auto focus that hunts a little bit seems to be my only negative thing I can say so far, but that is just par for the course with a macro anyway. I'll probably post some samples later.
    Sorry I couldn't stop you from lusting, but just wanted to give you my opinion. Thanks for letting me go on and on, Rockgrabber

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Default Re: It's here!! It's here!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rockgrabber View Post
    Sorry I couldn't stop you from lusting, but just wanted to give you my opinion. Thanks for letting me go on and on, Rockgrabber
    I'm still lusting and thanks for your thoughts!
    Soon!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yo - Bill:

> > The long and short of it all boils down to one fact warranting serious consideration by anyone in south Florida and similar environs elsewhere on the planet Ė this lens is not weatherproof. Look at your other lenses, well, except for the 40-150mm, which clearly isnít one of your favorites, theyíre all weatherproof, and a good thing that is. We might be in a bit of a drought right now here in the Sunshine State but thatíll change a lot sooner (I would hope) than you would want - or need - to replace a lens (if you know what I mean). And that's the truth.
    > >
    -lace w:st="on">leonlace>

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
    Yo - Bill:

>>The long and short of it all boils down to one fact warranting serious consideration by anyone in south Florida and similar environs elsewhere on the planet Ė this lens is not weatherproof. Look at your other lenses, well, except for the 40-150mm, which clearly isnít one of your favorites, theyíre all weatherproof, and a good thing that is. We might be in a bit of a drought right now here in the Sunshine State but thatíll change a lot sooner (I would hope) than you would want - or need - to replace a lens (if you know what I mean). And that's the truth.
    >>

Regarding the weathproof on the 40-150mm..what can you do besides by another type of lens to fix this issue. Are they weathproof casing, etc...I can put on this lens. I find with shooting in outdoor arena's the dust gets in it and causes problems. I've had to service it twice already and really can't afford this to happen. I am saving for a better lens, but in the meantime I have to keep using it. Any suggestions.
    Renee Goodwin
    Mane Impressions
    www.freewebs.com/mane-impressions/index.htm
    Fundraising for Non-Profit Equine Organizations
    www.freewebs.com/maneimpressionsphotography/index.htm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I fail to see you weatherproof lenses will matter unless he shoots and E1??

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
    Yo - Bill:

>>The long and short of it all boils down to one fact warranting serious consideration by anyone in south Florida and similar environs elsewhere on the planet Ė this lens is not weatherproof. Look at your other lenses, well, except for the 40-150mm, which clearly isnít one of your favorites, theyíre all weatherproof, and a good thing that is. We might be in a bit of a drought right now here in the Sunshine State but thatíll change a lot sooner (I would hope) than you would want - or need - to replace a lens (if you know what I mean). And that's the truth.
    >>
    Leon,
    Thanks for the kick back to reality!
    The splashproofness of the lenses is, in fact, a consideration. I was out last week with the E-1/11-22 and a surprise shower came in from the ocean and I had no worries. Actually, I upgraded from and excellent 14-45 to a 14-54 just for that reason.
    I haven't gone the 50-200 route as it's very, very rare that I shoot long.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Claven2 Ė
    > >
    I believe Bill does shoot an E-1. As for Renee I donít know but if it isnít an E-1, then you raise a good point.

Since there is no such thing as an acceptable rain and/or dust protector for cameras and/or lenses itís either time to get and E-1 or an E-1 replacement once they are available - along with (at least) the high-grade (not the super-high-grade) lenses.
    > >
    > >

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Bill Ė
    > >
    Glad I could help. Just so you know, Iíve been working the 12-step program for a good while. Yes; my name is lace w:st="on">leonlace> and Iím a lensaholic. Iíve been battling lens lust for 35 long years.
    > >
    Believe me, I am not being snobbish towards Sigma lenses, not at all; Iíve seen some wonderful stuff thatís been shot with them and have even toyed with getting their 105mm macro lens Ė and others, including their 150mm macro. But, as you know, it sure can rain here in the Sunshine State, and as you note it can seem to come out of nowhere in a hurry.
    > >
    So far as rain here in the boonies is concerned, ever since my film shooting days Iíve been known on occasion to carry my gear into the field in a cooler; they keep stuff dry in the rain, and in a locked car hardly look as though it would be worth the risk and time to smash a window, grab it and run (for what, a peanut butter sandwich?).
    > >

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bill,

Here's my futile attempt to try to dissuade you from buying this lens.

You will need a third body to permanently attach this lens if you decide to buy it as you do with the lenses you really really like, so consider the following consequences:

You will have to buy a new camera bag to accommodate 3 bodies and an additional lens - an added expense

The camera bag you will be lugging will be much heavier, remember its toll on your shoulder and knees.

As I mentioned this is a futile attempt.

On another note, with the expected high ISO performance of the new E-Pro (basing this on the posted E410 photos) you may not need the speed of this lens. You already have an awesome arsenal of lenses to start with.

Regards.

Robert

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Here's a few pics as promised. All pics are jpegs straight from the camera, only compressed for the internet. Some macro of my front yard, a portrait, and one of a bird feeder. All shot with the Sigma 24mm, hand held. The portrait and bird feeder are wide open at f1.8 while the green bud is at f5.6. This is in no way a scientific test, just some of my first shots with this lens. Let me know what you think, Rockgrabber

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Personally, the only thing that would make me get this lens over the 30mm f1.4 is if I needed the macro...but the 6mm difference doesn't really matter much to me. For a general use lens, wont the AF on the 24 be a little slower because of its macro function?
    "I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me."

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Lens lust won!
    I just ordered the last one available from Amazon, thanks Tony, and should have it on Tuesday. Thursday...
    Frankly, I was trying to select between the Oly 35, significantly less expensive, and the Sigma 24. The Sigma won for various reasons as I really didn't want a 70mm (eq) lens as opposed to a "normal." Add to that the images I've seen posted by Oly Olson and the Sigma won, hands down.
    After shooting for more than 40 years, I'd also like to start shooting some "macro" or close-up stuff.
    Thanks for all of your very helpful thoughts.