Thread: Question for Photoshp experts

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Question for Photoshp experts

I have a problem. When I do a model shoot, I reduce the size of all the image and burn them to a CD, or DVD. The problem I am having lately is the models can not tell me the filename of the images they want printed. They tell me the filename is not showing. I can not get them to tell me what program they are using to display the images. They just say they can open the images, and they are sequentially numbered 1 through ???.

I would like to generate an action, or some way of printing the file name directly on the reduce image. Maybe put a white border around the image and print in the border area.

I can't figure out how to grab the file name to use in an action, or script that I can use for batch processing. Is there an easy way to do this? Has someone already written something like this?

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Question for Photoshp experts

I am not an expert, Lawrence but I found these:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchang...&extid=1043719

http://groups.google.be/group/adobe....d1702fcd58cdd4

Hope it helps or at least points in the right direction.
    Luc

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

This is not a PS answer but I always use Qimage for my printing and there is an option to include the file name in the border of the print. Hope this helps.
    Leo R

E-620, 14-42, 40-150

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I really like Mikes framer that does what you want and a lot more
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pootern...mer/index.html

Richard

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm hardly a PS expert, but wouldn't the contact pages do that for you?
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Perhaps this is not what you're looking for, but rather than burning a CD, have you considered making a web page? Then you can choose what info to show beneath the thumbnail and/or image.
    :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality ::::

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

WOW. I wasn't sure I would get any response to this question. Thanks everyone, I will check out your suggestions.

It seems that the models today, or at least in this area, are used to getting a CD following a photo shoot. I tried the Web display, but the model still asked if she could have a CD. I don't know why they want a CD because I explain to them that none of the images on the CD have been post processed, and they are reduced in size and quality. They are only to be used for them to select which images they want post processed and printed. I usually shoot between 200 - 300 images per photo shoot and seeing I am doing this all for free, I only post process and print the 5 images they select.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score

While I am certainly no Photoshop expert, I can tell you the way that I give the images to the models.
    I use the web gallery feature in Photoshop and then burn the gallery on CD. Photoshop will show the image name or whatever you want it to show with the picture while also adding your copyright symbol to the lower right corner. I send the gallery to a folder called "CD Project" (does that say something about my imagination) in which I have an autorun script waiting. Then burn the content to the CD and when they insert the CD, it will run and they see the images in their web browser. On the banner in the gallery is the models name, the date of the shoot and my contact information. I also doctored the web gallery to use the background from my website to further make it personal.
    If they want to use the images on the web, they can simply open the folder and get the image they want and my copyright is on it.
    Hope this helps,
    Cliff

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    It seems that the models today, or at least in this area, are used to getting a CD following a photo shoot. I tried the Web display, but the model still asked if she could have a CD. I don't know why they want a CD because I explain to them that none of the images on the CD have been post processed, and they are reduced in size and quality. They are only to be used for them to select which images they want post processed and printed.
    Sigh. There still seem to be lots of people who have this funny idea that the web is temporary but a CD is forever. Or else they want to give the photos to someone and don't know how to burn a CD themselves. I give up. I recently shot an actor giving a one-man performance of Macbeth, and I told him where he could get the photos on the web. He then contacted me and asked how he could use them. Well, download them, I said. Oh, I can do that?
    At first I thought he was just asking permission, but I'd already told him he could use them, so it makes me wonder.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cmphoto View Post
    While I am certainly no Photoshop expert, I can tell you the way that I give the images to the models.
    I use the web gallery feature in Photoshop and then burn the gallery on CD. Photoshop will show the image name or whatever you want it to show with the picture while also adding your copyright symbol to the lower right corner. I send the gallery to a folder called "CD Project" (does that say something about my imagination) in which I have an autorun script waiting. Then burn the content to the CD and when they insert the CD, it will run and they see the images in their web browser. On the banner in the gallery is the models name, the date of the shoot and my contact information. I also doctored the web gallery to use the background from my website to further make it personal.
    If they want to use the images on the web, they can simply open the folder and get the image they want and my copyright is on it.
    Hope this helps,
    Cliff
    Cliff,

I like this idea, and don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

I did this for a wedding I photographed a number of years ago. I used the autorun, but I am going to have to figure that one out again as I can't remember how I did it before.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto View Post
    Sigh. There still seem to be lots of people who have this funny idea that the web is temporary but a CD is forever. Or else they want to give the photos to someone and don't know how to burn a CD themselves. I give up. I recently shot an actor giving a one-man performance of Macbeth, and I told him where he could get the photos on the web. He then contacted me and asked how he could use them. Well, download them, I said. Oh, I can do that?
    At first I thought he was just asking permission, but I'd already told him he could use them, so it makes me wonder.
    It is strange how there are still some people who don't know how to use a computer, and are not interested in learning.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    It is strange how there are still some people who don't know how to use a computer, and are not interested in learning.
    It is strange how there are still some people who don't know how to use a camera, and are not interested in learning.

Don't complain, it's a market to be exploited! You are able to make money in photography because not everyone wants to take the time to be a good photographer. The same holds true of computers. I'm not suggesting that you start charging for computer consulting, but the extent that you make life easier for your photo clients to use the computer, you're building in repeat business and good word-of-mouth.

So take the time to patiently explain things to your computer-phobic clients, and it will come back to you.
    :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality ::::

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

With Cliff's idea, and also with some help from him, I designed a template for all my future model CDs.

I used Lightroom to put together a slide show of all the images from the photo shoot, along with the file names. I designed another opening html page that has my company logo, contact information, the best image from the photo shoot, the model's name, and the date of photo shoot. I also have a description about the images, telling them these are RAW, non-processed images. It tells them about post processing and how to order their prints. I set up the opening page with a button to run the slide show.

The CD automatically runs when inserted in the computer.

Lawrence