Thread: Any interest in E-1 "system"?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Any interest in E-1 "system"?

Last fall I bought a Nikon D200 and find that I really don't grab the E-1 any longer. I can't really justify having a camera that just takes up space in the closet, so I thought I might like to sell it; but I don't want to sell it in pieces.

I have the E-1 with the EP-2 eyecup added (I'm guessing about 2K shutter actuations max.), 14-54 lens, 11-22 lens, 50-200 lens, and FL-50 flash. All items are in like-new condition and I have all the boxes with all the original contents. I also have the E-1 system camera bag that Olympus offered for a short time.

I spent roughly $4,600.00 for the items listed above and I know the E-1 has taken a real hit on resale value but I think I'd like to get somewhere in the neighbor hood of $2,800.00 (plus shipping and insurance). If anyone would be interested, let me know. Thanks.

Regards,
    Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Re: Any interest in E-1 "system"?

Quote Originally Posted by rnickel View Post
    Last fall I bought a Nikon D200 and find that I really don't grab the E-1 any longer. I can't really justify having a camera that just takes up space in the closet, so I thought I might like to sell it; but I don't want to sell it in pieces.

I have the E-1 with the EP-2 eyecup added (I'm guessing about 2K shutter actuations max.), 14-54 lens, 11-22 lens, 50-200 lens, and FL-50 flash. All items are in like-new condition and I have all the boxes with all the original contents. I also have the E-1 system camera bag that Olympus offered for a short time.

I spent roughly $4,600.00 for the items listed above and I know the E-1 has taken a real hit on resale value but I think I'd like to get somewhere in the neighbor hood of $2,800.00 (plus shipping and insurance). If anyone would be interested, let me know. Thanks.

Regards,
    Bob
    Bob
    You will get your price on Ebay no problem, just sell it before the E3 comes out and I think you will be fine... IMHO
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    59 (100%)

Bob - Going off recent prices here I think $2800 is a tad high...agree though that maybe you can get that on eBay if it "closes" at the right time!

Here's my break down for this site just for info...corrections welcomed:

E1 - $475
    14-54 - $325
    11 - 22 - $550
    50 - 200 - $600 (the current $100 rebate hurts you!)
    FL50 - $300 (the rebate hurts here too, you may not get 300)

Adding it all up: $2250.

Dan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks for the feedback; although it's pretty discouraging. I guess digital camera equipment would not rank too high as a "good investment".

I sold my E-10 on eBay a few years back and set up a PalPal account at the time to do so. It worked out fine but I remember thinking at the time, "I don't really understand what's going on here".

I've since read accounts of people selling there gear on eBay using PalPal only to have the "buyer" file a fraudulent claim and the seller ends up with no gear and no money.

Is there a way to really protect yourself, as a seller on eBay?

Thanks again.
    Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

One way for protection is to take the equipemt to a UPS store. Show them the equipment. Have them pack it. You pay extra but they guarantee the shippment if they pack it. If the seller tries to say fraud, you at least have proof of condition at shipping.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    59 (100%)

OlyPoly - how much extra would have them package something around the size of an E1 box or one of the normal sized lenses?

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know they would do the packaging!

Dan

Thanks
    Feedback Score

May sound odd to some of you, but all my recent auctions for which I was the seller were completed using C.O.D. from the US Post Office. I've recently sold some laptops and home theater equipment and I simply don't trust paypal anymore for selling expensive equipment. I do use paypal for smaller ticket items that I am purchasing on Ebay though.

With the C.O.D. transaction, the post office will only accept cash and will not deliver anything without receiving the money first. It does take a little while longer to receive your money but I believe it's worth the wait.

Doug

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Not much more. Just a few dollars from what I recall. Worth it to me to have that little extra security.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Boy, I've been doing a little research, since my original post, on using eBay and PayPal to sell my gear and from what I'm reading it seems it's almost an invitation to get ripped off. Tales of fraudulent bidders, PayPal chargebacks, etc. and the repeated end result of sellers losing there gear and never getting paid through one scam or another.

The common theme seems to be that if the items for sale are relatively inexpensive there isn't much problem but big ticket items (like all my Olympus gear) draw the scam artists like bees to honey; with eBay and PayPal leaving the seller twisting in the wind (with empty pockets).

I think I'd rather stick everything back in the closet or even take a massive loss and sell through KEH, or even donate it to charity than to lose it all in a scam.

The advice given about doing the sale C.O.D. through the post office seems like the safest but wouldn't that severely limit the amount of people who could bid on it (maybe rightfully so)?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,
    Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rnickel View Post
    Thanks for the feedback; although it's pretty discouraging. I guess digital camera equipment would not rank too high as a "good investment".

I sold my E-10 on eBay a few years back and set up a PalPal account at the time to do so. It worked out fine but I remember thinking at the time, "I don't really understand what's going on here".

I've since read accounts of people selling there gear on eBay using PalPal only to have the "buyer" file a fraudulent claim and the seller ends up with no gear and no money.

Is there a way to really protect yourself, as a seller on eBay?

Thanks again.
    Bob
    hi Bob,

camera equipment is like buying a car, other than a few vintage rides/cameras, its far from an investment, unless your making money with the camera gear. if you just buy it and shoot for yourself, then its def NOT an investment. as for the ebay, I never had a problem.
    E-500
    Zuiko 14-45mm
    Zuiko 40-150mm

Sony Alpha 350, lots of goodies with it...

I have gone to the Max!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

PayPal is a double edged sword. Speaking as a frequent Ebay buyer and seller, I have had zero issues with using PayPal's services but there are a few caveats. First the good, using PayPal is a sure way to guarantee a higher selling price. Most buyers don't feel comfortable sending postal MO's for large sums to complete strangers. Remember the transaction has 2 sides and the buyer is more vulnerable to start than the seller. Using PayPal also means the funds are garnered much more quickly and can be transferred to your bank or even spent via PayPal's debit or Mastercard immediately.

Now for the bad, ( not really bad just critically important). Horror stories about chargebacks are real but many times the seller screwed up. When using PayPal you MUST ship using a trackable service and demand the buyer sign for the parcel. This way you have definitive proof that the item was both shipped and received by the buyer. Once you can prove to PayPal that the item was signed for by the buyer the burden of proof shifts to the buyer to convince PayPal why he/she deserves a refund. Without delivery confirmation PayPal will normally chargeback the payment to the buyer.

As with most things in life, it's all about the details. Follow PayPal's suggestions and things will go smoothly. Don't ever ship without signature confirmation.

Good Luck,

Mike
    Photography is a marvelous discovery. A science that has attracted the greatest intellects; An art that excites the most astute minds... ( Nadar)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks for the reply Mike. Nothing like the voice of experience. I've only sold on e-Bay twice and only used PayPal once to sell my E-10 and that was several years ago.

I understand from you, and others, that having proof of delivery is the first step to avoiding problems. My E-1 is in perfect working condition but I'm curious as to what happens if the buyer claims otherwise.

Thanks again,

Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Bob, in your position, I'd probably suggest selling the gear to a more captive and normally more honest audience. Dedicated forums like this one might not garner top dollar but I never hear the kind of horror stories that Ebay can generate. I do realize that you'd be taking a bath on the value of the camera gear so I hope you got some good use out of it. I assume you are abandoning Oly if you plan to sell the lenses. Just my humble opinion but I'd say keep the lenses and unload the E-1 only. With the performance of the new E-510 I can only imagine how responsive the new E-3 is likely to be. Good luck with whatever route you take.

P.S. I didn't answer your question. Since you aren't a retail store, the Ebay listing should clearly indicate the item is sold " as is". Only a gross misrepresentation of the camera's condition should allow the buyer to request a refund.

Mike
    Photography is a marvelous discovery. A science that has attracted the greatest intellects; An art that excites the most astute minds... ( Nadar)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks for your reply Mike,

I really am in a quandary as to what I should do. I guess you are right in your characterization that I am "abandoning" Olympus. I don't like thinking of it that way; it is a great system that I did get good use out of and the Zuiko lenses really are incredible.

In fact the lenses are the reason I want to sell it all. I won't argue as to whether the limits of the E-1 are real or imagined, but I kept finding myself wanting more detailed images. The real issue would come if I wanted to crop just a portion of the image.

I know, if I was a decent photographer I would have framed the images properly to begin with and wouldn't have to crop.

My original intention over the last several years was to replace the E-1 with it's successor. When Photokina came and went last year with only a mock-up of the E-3 and no projected date of availability, I decided to give the Nikon D200 a shot and I must say that I don't regret that decision. I have added to that system since then and find that the Olympus gear just sits in the closet.

Anyway I digress; If I keep these great Olympus lenses (and the FL-50 too) I know that when the E-3 finally does make an appearance I would really be tempted to spend a lot of money on a camera that I really no longer need. My needs and abilities really don't warrant two high end systems and I really don't do enough shooting to need a backup.

You sort of reinforce my uneasy feeling about eBay so I was thinking maybe I would try a friend's suggestion and try Craig's List..... a lot less potential buyers but you can do the deal face to face if you do find a buyer. Thanks again.

Regards,

Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'd really like to buy that 50-200mm lense if your willing to part with it right away. I was about to place an order for one on JR.com (only $720 after the July rebate from Olympus), but I found your post and thought I'd give a fellow E-1 user a try first.

I currently own an E-1, 14-54, and FL-36 and I would like to add the 50-200 for a trip I'm taking in two weeks. This is my first actual post on 4/3 Photo but I've been lurking and reading the forums for some time. I have several good character references on S2KI.com and NSXPrime.com (car forums I've been involved with for several years) and I have a clean PayPal history.

I'm currently located in San Diego. You can reach me by posting here or sending me an email:

nate.hahn@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I just bought a FL50 from B&H but I need a second unit. Will you sell separately? B&H price after rebate is $325.00.

Gunn

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi guys,

I met Bob in person today and purchased his 50-200mm lens. I can say he seemed like a great guy with a beautiful wife and his equipment is in the great condition he says it is. The 50-200mm looked like it just came off the store shelf and he included the original box, bag, and documentation that came with it. He has the rest of his gear in an original E-1 shoulder bag, and even it still looked brand new. Buy with confidence here guys, and good luck to you Bob.

-Nate

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Well I just sold the Zuiko 50-200mm lens to NSX-Nate above, as we were able to get together face to face. So I guess I will sell the rest of my gear piece by piece (hopefully avoiding eBay). Anyway If you're interested in the FL-50 at $325.00, that sounds fair to me, as long as you take care of the shipping cost. Let me know.

Regards,
    Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks Nate. I hope you get good use out of the lens; it warrants it's reputation. Good luck.

Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just to update; as I mentioned earlier I did sell the 50-200mm last weekend (with the help of this forum) and then sold the E-1 yesterday (through Craig's List) to a Marine who is headed back to Iraq in January. He already owns an E-500 but was looking forward to having a weatherproof camera to take back to that harsh environment. I hope he brings it and himself back in one piece.

So, I still am selling the 14-54mm, the 11-22mm, and the FL-50 (oh yeah, and the "E" system bag) if anyone is interested. By the way, thanks to this forum and Craig's List both transactions, thus far, have been able to be face to face and have enabled me to avoid eBay/PayPal