Thread: how do you reduce effects of chromatic aberration?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default how do you reduce effects of chromatic aberration?

I am using a 300mm f 5.6 minolta Rokkor lens on my L1 and notice some chromatic aberration on some pictures at high contrast points- white on dark background. Is tere a way to control this?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: how do you redice effects of chromatic aberration?

The easiest way to eliminate CA is to convert your shot to B&W, but when I can't or won't do that I use a plug-in program called "PT Lens" which is available for $15 to download. I used to zoom in to 200-300% and clone out the offending pixels, now I just go to PT Lens, which has other uses besides fixing CA, like correcting distortion. Hope this helps.

Rocky

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If you use PS and ACR you can cancel out CA. Use the Lens tab in ACR or Filter>Distort>Lens Correction in PS

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks guys- that helped. The software that came with the Lumix is called "Silkypix" and works quite well.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Lightroom has a two-axis CA filter too, only with my 300 mm Tamron it hasn't proved to be very useful. The lens produces a violet CA that neither filter manages to catch.

Another thing about CA is that CA removal algorithms remove the offending colour, but cannot recover lost detail - there is only so much one can do to compensate for imperfect optics
    "I never have taken a picture I've intended. They're always better or worse". -Diane Arbus

Panasonic L1, Leica 14-50, ZD 40-150, Tamron Adaptall 2 SP 300 5.6, Tamron Adaptall 70-150 macro, Slik Master Standard, Volvo 240 GLE

Thanks
    Feedback Score

You might want to try Bibble and Paint Shop Pro... Both have good CA-tools in them. Both have free demo version's downloadable.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The general phenomena is actually 'Color Fringing'. It may be caused by lens Chromatic Aberration (CA) of two types: Radial CA, where the three color channels focus at the same point but have different magnifications, and Axial CA, where the three channels focus at different points along the optical axis. Color Fringing may also be caused by other reasons, not related to the lens (i.e. the sensor, etc.).
    The methods mentioned above - ACR, Lens correction filter, PTLens - all deal with Radial CA. They change the magnification of two of the color channels, until the image of all three coincide. If the Color Fringing in an image was caused by Radial CA only, it will be corrected very well, but if it is caused also by other causes these methods will not be able to correct it.
    If those methods fail, the only way is to work on the saturation of the offending colors. There is a Photoshop action which I find very useful, by Shay Stephens, at http://www.shaystephens.com/ca-ps.php
    With this action I can correct the most stubborn CA, and I strongly recommend it. (Unfortunately, I'm not affiliated to Shay Stephens in any way.)
    Moshe

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: how do you reduce effects of chromatic aberration?

Use Olympus lenses!
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by carman View Post
    Use Olympus lenses!
    Unfortunately that's not so! All my lenses are Olympus.

Moshe

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have found that stopping down helps,

GerryH
    E330, E520, Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 14-45, Zuiko 40-150, Zuiko 11-22, Ziko 50-200,Sigma 50-500, Sigma 18-50EX DC Macro, Sigma 150/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro,Sigma 105/2.8, Sigma 55-200, Olympus EX25, virtual village focus screen, ME-1 Eyecup, Metz 44 Flash,Slik PRO400DX TriPod, Giottos MH7001-621 BallHead, Ownuser FX-FBH Battery Grip, 200+ legacy lenses.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/ghenton

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Moshe,

out of curiosity, which Olympus lenses are causing you CA troubles?

None of my ZD lenses cause any disturbing CA - even when viewing at 100%.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Hi Moshe,

Cheers, Jens.
    Hi Jens,

as for CA troubles: the digital Zuikos are extremely good concerning CA's, 11-22 & 14-54 & 50-200 are virtually CA-free, and although the 7-14 is not absolutely free of CA's, the CA's in my experience only do occur in unsharp parts of the picture and then are quite decent and acceptable (I not only did notice this with my 7-14 but also with lots of other 7-14-pictures in the net: you may reproduce the slight CAs simply if you focus at very close distance, say 50 cm or so, on an object against a very bright background, and you do not stop down: so you get quite a considerable out-of-focus-field where you will find, I'm sure, some CAs; be sure to have e. g. leaves in the bokeh area against bright sky, and you'll get them; but this anyway is very good in comparison to any other super wide angle lens from which I've ever seen pictures, e. g. the sigmas 10-20 & 12-24)

further, I've seen some Zuiko Fisheye pictures which, too, show some CA's (I'd say quite a little bit more than the 7-14)

as for your other lenses, I do not own the Zuiko Fish but I do have the Peleng, which shows quite heavy color finging (and all of it axial so very difficult to delete) - you do not even get rid of it if you stop down to f=11 (so I mostly stick to f=8, as f=11 doesn't seem to improve the image, really); but don't get me wrong: the Peleng for me surely is a very good compromise lens, I wouldn't give it away not even now that I've got the 7-14 (but I would change it for the Zuiko fish if money weren't an issue)

from the OM's, my 135/2.8 shows some CA's but is very acceptable on my OM-10 (I do not use it too often on my E-330 as the 50-200 is sharper)

anyway:
    concerning CA's, I think all of the Zuikos (at least all I do own or did test for some time) are excellent; but it is not true that they aren't absolutely unsusceptible to CA's

and then well, for reducing of CA's: with my Zuikos, usually I can live very well in the cases I do see some CAs, but someone else might, of course have different opinions; reducing axial CA's is a real pain in the you-know-what, with one Peleng picture which I do like very much I spent hours on the computer reducing the most offensive CAs
    Cheers, Herman

sokolblog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Herman,

I know about the out-of-focus CA that you mention for the 7-14 but it is not disturbing IMO. It is also there for the ZD 50-200 in many cases, which troubles me somewhat when doing PP since that is a lens with almost no distortion and one tends to notice such details more then. However, for the part of the scene that is in focus, there is no visible CA and once I have finished the PP, the OOF CA is hardly noticed by anyone if the shot is good enough.

I have seen several examples of in-focus CA from the 11-22 in images around the net. I don't own one myself so I don't know how disturbed I would be by it.

Regarding the fisheye lenses, I have tested my Peleng side-by-side with the ZD 8mm FE and they exhibit almost identical amount of CA and sharpness - at apertures f/5.6 or smaller. At f/3.5, the ZD has superior sharpness - no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by sokol View Post
    ...I think all of the Zuikos (at least all I do own or did test for some time) are excellent; but it is not true that they aren't absolutely unsusceptible to CA's
    Well, I never said they are... I just said that mine don't cause any disturbing CA.

Cheers, Jens
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Really I have very few cases of CA - However for some reason when developing with Adobe Camera Raw - I get quite a bit for some reason. It is the only Raw Developer which I have serious issues with.
    If you are using that developer - try a different one.
    I only shoot with Digital Zukio lenses. But I would say that they are the best lenses on the market.
    So if you are having issues and use ACR maybe try Bibble, C1, Silky Pix,
    If on a Mac - Aperture or Raw Developer are great choices too.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Hi Moshe,

Cheers, Jens.
    Hello Jens,

I didn't say CA is very disturbing, but it is there, even with the f:2 50mm, certainly the 40-150, and also the 14-54. In most cases it may be ignored, but sometimes it needs correction.

I was recently on a trip in Europe and took many pictures with the c8080. The c8080 lens is considered to be good, but I have quite a few pictures where I must correct CA. (That's because the weather was too good, and we had a lot of sun...)

Moshe

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi Jens,
    I, too, am not troubled with the slight out-of-focus-CAs of the 7-14; I didn't notice them with the 50-200 yet, but now that you've put this in my head I might not be able to stop myself looking for them ... anyway, as for the 11-22, I had it for a very sunny afternoon, borrowed from a friend.

My impression of the 11-22: I underexposed all the shots to get a real dark, blue sky and stretched the RAWs with software to get good shadows: probably that's a reason I didn't get even a hint of any CAs with the 11-22. The 11-22 is extremely sharp, especially at the short end (I'd say) even sharper than the 7-14 at the long end, and shots with the 11-22 easily look "oversharpened" only with sharpness to 1 (jpgs out of cam) on my E-330. I did quite like the 11-22, as you see, it's more a "normal" landscape lens, whereas the 7-14 is an "effect lens" and really something special in it's own way.

But, most importantly, I did see some shots of e. g. the Sigmas 10-20 & 12-24 on other Cameras in the net, and compared to them, the Zuikos wide angle zooms really perform excellent, both 7-14 & 11-22.
    Cheers, Herman

sokolblog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Bah. It's all your fault. Well okay, not really. In any case I've been meaning to work on my technique and this thread inspired me to pick up one more piece of gear before I give up spending money for a while. I've got an MC Rokkor PG 50mm f/1.4 and an adapter on the way via eBay. I'll report in once I get them and get a chance to play.
    E-620, E-410
    14-42, old 40-150, old 50-200, Sigma 30/1.4
    Metz 48 AF-1, Vivitar 285HV (broken, might fix some day)
    Canon(!) monopod

flickr.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Since getting the 8mm f3.5 FE late last month, I've been reintroduced to the issue of CA. So I looked around the web and found a number of sites that give pretty thorough instructions on correcting for CA using photoshop, and they're not that difficult.
    A couple are HERE and HERE
    and
    HERE

Otherwise, just do a google for "chromatic aberration," "color fringing" and "photoshop."

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Weird... I must have gotten my tabs confused. I posted that message in entirely the wrong thread
    E-620, E-410
    14-42, old 40-150, old 50-200, Sigma 30/1.4
    Metz 48 AF-1, Vivitar 285HV (broken, might fix some day)
    Canon(!) monopod

flickr.