Thread: Why do people....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default Why do people....

....post every piece of gear they own in their signature? I was trying to do a search and of course since people list their gear in every post, I got so many false hits.

I know people want to brag about their gear but would it not be better to post them in your "Interests" section of your profile? Or at least list them in a jpg attached at the end of your post so that the search won't catch them every time?

Your gear listing gratification is making the search feature almost useless.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Why do people....

I put mine in my signature as I found it interesting and useful to see what others are using and if I have a query, then other members can see what I am using without asking. It has nothing to do with bragging or gratification

I haven't found this to be a problem on other forums, but to prevent any future moans about problems with the search, I have changed it to a gif rather than text.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Dan,

as long as the equipment is listed in the signature, there should be no problem.

I have a pretty long list of various gear in my signature. However, the search engine completely ignores my signature. If I, for example, search for "Rodagon", which appear twice in my signature, only two threads are found. In both threads, I have mentioned the Rodagon lens in a post.

If you have problems with the signatures, either you have a strange setting in the search engine or people are not listing their gear in the signature but post the list in the ordinary text.

Regarding your leading question, I think it is interesting to see what fellow E-system users have experience with. I have several times been approached by members who want specific information about some of my more exotic gear.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Dan,

Most of us aren't "bragging". We're letting other readers see what we're using. It is a common practice in many different kinds of forums.

If someone asks a question or posts a comment, it lets us see what they're shooting with and it helps us put their questions and comments in context.

Plus it prevents us having to respond to common questions like, "What gear do you use?"
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Jens on to something. I wonder why others show up in the search and Jens doesn't? Just for instance I made up a search "FL50 problem". I didn't find anyone with a FL50 problem on page one.....but at least I found out who all owns one.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Just carried out the FL50 search and the equipment list which includes the FL50 is not in the member's signature, he includes the list in the body of his posts, probably not aware that he can have a signature.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

...ok, I'm one of the guilty parties, so I'll get rid of it for you, seeing as its causing so many so much grief...life's way too short...have a nice day!