Thread: Apple Iphone?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Apple Iphone?

Anyone buying a iPhone?
    I was going to, but really, the unlimited wireless for it is only $20 a month. My blackberry is $50 or so a month.
    I would save $30. I probably wouldn't use it much for an ipod, because I kill the battery in my blackberry. But you never know.
    So I may get one. But I really don't think I need it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Re: Apple Iphone?

No, I'd rather have a vastly superior handset which doesn't use a fancy interface to conceal a worrying number of shortcomings. I see they have announced a 3G version for the EU, I don't think it will be quite as widely accepted against the stronger European competition but no doubt there will be plenty of people flocking to it for the Apple badge.

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Got mine yesterday. I gambled that the sleepy town of Frankfort, KY wouldn't have a huge high tech populace, and it paid off. Got there at 5:00, doors opened at 6, had mine by 6:30.

Slick. Very smooth. Despite what the pundits said about "six clicks to make a call", it's one touch to get to the dial pad, one more to get to the address book, or recent dialed/received calls. The earphones are a masterpiece - they look like the standard ipod earphones, except for a little bulge on the right side cord. It's a microphone and answer switch. One click to answer, two to hang up. Best of all... if you have difficulty hearing (and I do, too much loud music in my foolish youth), you get phone audio in both ears, and you can crank the volume.

As an iPod - another masterpiece. Nice, large screen, and it has the 'album stack' display that iTunes has - where you can flip through the albums, and you do so by dragging your finger across the screen. Took me a while to find that display - hold the phone upright, and you get one album cover displayed. Turn it sideways, you get the album stack display. The screen is very high resolution, a lot of detail if your eyes are up to the task.

External controls - big improvement over cell phones. My razr was driving me nuts, as putting it in my pocket would some times inadvertenly turn off the ringer. iphone has one switch on the side to mute the ringer, and it has a nice, stiff action. A rocker switch for volume up and down, and that's it. There is one button on the front, to take you home. Otherwise, everything works on the touch screen, and it's a great touchscreen. Glass, smooth surface.

Email - works pretty good. Give it your email account, pop server, and password, and it'll go get them. It worked with my standard ISP account with no changes. Also syncs up with apple mail or Outlook for contacts and email address lists.

Web browsing. It would be nice, if you have a magnifying glass. It shows an entire web page, but it's tiny. So far, I haven't found a way to magnify on screen, though there might be one. A nice touch - it attaches to your home WLAN if you have one, which will be faster than the slightly poky AT&T wireless account.

Keyboard. A bit too small, but you learn to work with it. You have to switch to another screen to get numbers, but that's not a problem. Maybe I just need smaller fingers.

Size - same as a standard iPod. Also uses the standard ipod connector for sync/charging, so if you already have an ipod and a car charger for it, you're good to go.

Battery life - hard to judge. I listened to music for about an hour, didn't seem to ding battery life. It's good.

Setup/activation. Very easy, if you have itunes and an itunes account. Impossible if you don't. iTunes handles everything. Plug the phone in, it kicks into activation mode. If you already had a cingular/att account, it shows you the service options, and you can replace your old phone by just entering the phone number. Activation took about three minutes. I had a 2 phone Cingular account, and it replaced the one phone without a problem. Had to add the $20/month unlimited internet, but as much as I use email remotely, that's not a bad price.

Was it worth $600? The jury is still out. But, it was everything I would expect from an Apple appliance - smooth, slick, very intuitive, beautiful. A Cadillac for your brain. There was no operating manual, and it really doesn't need one. Poke around the screen long enough, and you'll find what you're looking for. I've bought quite a bit of Apple equipment in the past, and the iPhone is very much like their other hardware. Expensive, but you feel so smart when you get it.

Interesting note - I've worked with computers since the 1980's, and closely followed the Steve Jobs/Bill Gates rivalry. Looks like Steve won in the end. While Bill has more or less retired after dominating the computer world with a sledge hammer - exploiting a monopoly until the courts finally figured out that's what he was doing, Steve is still at it, still changing the world, still pushing the boundaries. I never forgave Apple for dumping on him in the late 80's, and was delighted to see him come back and rescue the company from mediocrity and almost certain death.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Since my company supplies me with a BlackBerry, I'd rather have 1/3 of an E-P1

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

External controls - big improvement over cell phones. My razr was driving me nuts, as putting it in my pocket would some times inadvertenly turn off the ringer. iphone has one switch on the side to mute the ringer, and it has a nice, stiff action. A rocker switch for volume up and down, and that's it. There is one button on the front, to take you home. Otherwise, everything works on the touch screen, and it's a great touchscreen. Glass, smooth surface.
    Not exactly fair to badge the Razr (pretty much the poorest designed phones going) as all phones - many other devices have better systems to deal with accidental button presses. It's not a problem on any of my devices, nor would I expect it to be.

Slick. Very smooth. Despite what the pundits said about "six clicks to make a call", it's one touch to get to the dial pad, one more to get to the address book, or recent dialed/received calls. The earphones are a masterpiece - they look like the standard ipod earphones, except for a little bulge on the right side cord. It's a microphone and answer switch. One click to answer, two to hang up. Best of all... if you have difficulty hearing (and I do, too much loud music in my foolish youth), you get phone audio in both ears, and you can crank the volume.
    Not exactly new...my seven year old Siemens phone (one of the more innovative mp3 phones) not only had this but full voice dialling and voice command through the headphones as well.

By memory you either double tap a section on the screen in the internet browser to bring it up to full size.

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What's that?

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Seriously..iPhone is a phenomenon. Great looking device with excellent marketing but with very mediocre feature set, not to mentioning absence of HW keys. Can you imagine a serious use of device without at least some HW keys? Everything have to be done by tapping the display with fingers..can't imagine that (well, I can very well imagine permanently dirty display ). I would like to have one as a media player, ebook reader or internet browser, but definitely not as a phone.
    Oly E400 + OM 50/1.4 & OM 135/2.8
    ---
    http://www.pbase.com/odklizec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tspore View Post
    Anyone buying a iPhone?
    I was going to, but really, the unlimited wireless for it is only $20 a month. My blackberry is $50 or so a month.
    I would save $30. I probably wouldn't use it much for an ipod, because I kill the battery in my blackberry. But you never know.
    So I may get one. But I really don't think I need it.
    $50 ?

We gotta talk!

Should be 29.95 for unlimited data and internet access on a BB.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Not me. I don't need it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I bet that 15 years ago, you couldn't imagine shooting digital and making your own prints in lab quality either.

The point is, don't dismiss virtual keyboard just because it's new. Touch technology is here to stay, it will only get better ....

Regards

Marek

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'll buy it, once available in Europe. I hope that version will be slightly improved on the first version (of course, should be firmware updateable anyway).

regarding the N95... sorry, but no, thanks..

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I was planning to pick up an iphone, but when I saw how fast my freind gets his emails on his BB I have to do some more research. I currently have a Cingular 3125 (Starwars) phone. Great international windows based flip phone, but it takes forever to download my emails from our VPN.
    If I can figure out a way to have an iphone get emails as efficiently as a Blackberry, I want one. I'm curios as to whether there will be a problem synching an ipod and an iphone to the same itunes?
    Jonathan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    I bet that 15 years ago, you couldn't imagine shooting digital and making your own prints in lab quality either.

The point is, don't dismiss virtual keyboard just because it's new. Touch technology is here to stay, it will only get better ....

Regards

Marek
    It isn't new though, there have been touch screen keyboards similar to this and many different ways for years even early monochrome Palms had various different keyboards and handwriting software programs you could load (which the ten years newer Iphone cannot). However tactile keyboards have remained and been improved simply because they are superior - you can use two thumbs at once plus you have tactile feedback from the keys themselves allowing for higher speed and accuracy.

John

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'll stick with my Treo 700P. I can use any Palm program on it. Plus I can read ebooks on the Treo which no one, to my knowledge, has adressed with the iPhone.

I have downloaded the E500 instruction manual pdf onto the phone. Works great, plus my 'down time' is filled with the books and writers I love! For me, the ability to use as an ebook reader is an absolute minimum.
    Glen Barrington
    Cheese Whiz

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by laingjd View Post
    $50 ?

We gotta talk!

Should be 29.95 for unlimited data and internet access on a BB.
    I was wrong not $50 - $44.99
    Attachment 5230

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post

Web browsing. It would be nice, if you have a magnifying glass. It shows an entire web page, but it's tiny. So far, I haven't found a way to magnify on screen, though there might be one....
    I saw a demo of the iPhone for web browsing and they would tap on the screen to zoom in on a section of the page.

Great review. I didn't think I wanted one but now I'm considering the purchase. I'll try to hold out until Xmas/B-day and maybe Apple will have released the 2nd or 3rd gen by then.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I agree it's not new as per say, but it's vastly improved is my understanding.

Regards

Marek

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I got the Cingular 8525 because it works on 3G and has all the other features except use of itunes. Also, the 8525 headset microphone doesn't work, I need to use a blue tooth.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    I agree it's not new as per say, but it's vastly improved is my understanding.

Regards

Marek
    It's not vastly improved either, there are other systems out there pretty much identical (the Wii comes to mind) - the focus of reviews seems to be that it only gives you one word suggestion at a time whereas Windows devices give you all combinations. Not sure how this an improvement or different to anything else out there, S60 Nokias use Tegic and only show one word at a time, you have to tap a soft key to move through suggestions. SE on the other hand give you a default suggestion but also let you see the next few alternatives to choose from.

All the reviews I've read compare it to the Blackberry (and one a Blackjack) with the latter considered as being better - the Blackberry doesn't have that great a keyboard either (keys are too small and tight together), the keyboards on the compact HTCs are much better with more distinct keys and better spacing.

John

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's very much personal preference rather than comparisons made by other people. In another words what feels good to you, might not feel that great to me and vice versa.

Regards

Marek

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

After a few days of use, I can summarize the iPhone a bit better. It's the Rolls Royce of personal communications devices. Not the fastest, maybe not quite bleeding edge, but it works so well to make your life easier. Very smooth, very slick.

Emails? No real speed problems, unless large images are being viewed through edge. And the setup is easy - no relay server, just point it at your ISP account, and you can set up multiple mailboxes for different accounts. And - you can read the emails. That screen is so clear, and the magnify function works so well. What's the point of receiving a long email if you have to find a magnifying glass to read it?

Same goes for web browsing. Working with the virtual keyboard can be a pain, but once past that, the magnify function allows you to read most web pages. You can actually browse most pages and read them.

Not enough external buttons? That's like complaining that your car doesn't have a hand crank starter. Don't need buttons - it has virtual buttons on that magnificent screen. The only external switches are the ones you really need - a single and fairly stiff ringer mute switch, volume control, hibernate button, and the home button.

As a phone... it's okay, but not terrific. Reception isn't quite as good as my last razr (which was very good), and I do hit a few more dead spots, but not many. Voicemail and missed call displays are very easy to read and use - both show you a readable counter on the main screen, drill down shows you time and phone number, and you can scroll through received messages, don't have to listen to every one to get to the important ones. One very nice advantage - when using it as an iPod in the car, incoming calls mute the sound and it rings through the car's speakers. Nice, for those of us who have missed calls because we had Led Zep cranked up on the road.

Speaking of sound - the iPhone is the tactical nuke of iPods. Blows them all away. Fascinating to see that they disposed of the click wheel, because they found an even better way. Geez - don't the people at Apple ever rest on their laurels? Flipping through the album display is one of my favorite things to show off. Also, music videos are spectacular. All I have is the Traveling Wilburys videos (on the new compendium album), but they're quite viewable.

If I were to add one feature, it would be GPS. The mapping function works very well, but it would be so nice to know where you are. If someone comes up with a GPS module and mods to the mapping software, I'll buy it.

I wouldn't mind a shell prompt, either, just so I can poke around the guts and see how it was set up. Must have an interesting inittab file.

In summary, the iPhone's greatest strength is it's useability. It doesn't really do anything that other cell phones and an iPod could do, but it gets the information to you with less fuss and less squinting. An amazing piece of UI design.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Thanks for the review!
    I may get one, but really I will wait a few months.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Is there a way to load and read ebooks? Looks to me that it would be good for that.
    Glen Barrington
    Cheese Whiz