Thread: Played with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi last night

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Played with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi last night

I apologize in advance if this is too off-topic. Mods, please delete with my apologies, if inappropriate.

I'm not a fan of bashing other brands (I'm a Canon owner as well), but I do have to say, the XTi, and especially the kit 18-55mm lens, felt very cheap compared with my E-500. I did have the 11-22mm and the 50-200mm with me, so the lenses weren't an apples to apples comparison, but even the Olympus kit lenses have a very solid, quality feel compared with the Canon 18-55mm.

On the other hand, I thought the XTi performed pretty well. The auto-focus was quick, the viewfinder was larger than the E-500, the on-board flash worked well, etc. Though I was just looking at the photos on the LCD, they seemed nice. Overall, it seems like a pretty decent camera, but the tactile experience was not good.

I let my friend try my E-500, once with the 11-22mm, and again with the 50-200mm. When she was using the 50-200mm, she asked if it was a couple of thousand dollars lens, and I believe she was being serious. She was surprised when I told her it could be had brand new for well under a thousand dollars!
    E-500 E-330 11-22mm 50-200mm 50mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vautrain/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Played with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi last night

There is a difference in the images between all camera brands in the same "class", but the difference isn't great. More subjective on what colors you like better, or the punch of them, or whatever. Image quality itself is pretty even. And a lot of the actual difference may be in the lens optics, but again, one bargain or medium class lens ought to have similar qualities to someone elses.

There is a difference in some features between all camera brands in the same "class", but again the difference isn't great overall. One will have a better AF speed, but another has a better WB, etc.

But there is a HUGE difference in Fit, Form, and Function.

How one body feels in YOUR hand, and how YOU react to and use the dials, buttons, controls, and menu is a BIG important factor. How cheap, plasticy, solid, etc the body and the lenses feel is another big factor. If you think it might break or you might drop it, or whatever,that can't be a good thought.

Some people really get upset when the manufacturers move the controls from one model to the replacement. Canon did it with the D60 to 10D, and on others. They all do it. It always seems "bad" because you aren't use to it. Those that change it the least, or the most logical win.

Nothing wrong with an XTi, or a D40, or a E-510. All are good, and all can be bad. If one works for you better than the rest, and one probably does, then you made the choice.

And the Oly 50-200 is a FINE lens

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

We're at a great point in time when there's really no bad cameras on the market. Features may differ, and design compromises may have been made differently, but they all work and all produce good-to-great photographs. I've gotten in hot water for saying this elsewhere, but whenever someone's asking me for camera advice, I tell them to look at image quality (and camera reviews) last. The first thing to do is go to a store and actually handle the cameras and lenses.

That said, I've always liked Olympus best.

But, if other people disagree, it's not a personal insult or even a sign of their bad taste. Everyone has different needs and wants -- for one, I wouldn't want everyone to use Olympus cameras. Variety is good.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I agree 100 percent, the canon kit lens is pure rubbish. and the feel of the xt in my hands is very uncomfortable.....but nice pics come from it for sure. hey its a canon. but its not an olympus!
    shooting fuji X10 and X-S1 at the moment.

Soon to have an e-3, e-30, e-620 and e-410 bodies with a bunch of glass. I can't wait to be back with the E-System.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Olympus 50-200 is really a good lens for the $$$.It is a bargain when compare to C/N.