Thread: Question: E-510 live view and Olympus Studio

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Question: E-510 live view and Olympus Studio

Please,

Can anyone confirm whether or not the live view on the E-510 is visible on a computer screen, when using Olympus Studio (in control mode).

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Question: E-510 live view and Olympus Studio

I can congfirm that with the E-330, it is not!

Moshe

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Question: E-510 live view and Olympus Studio

Quote Originally Posted by 3dpan View Post
    Please,

Can anyone confirm whether or not the live view on the E-510 is visible on a computer screen, when using Olympus Studio (in control mode).

Cheers,
    Alec
    In previous discussions, people have said the way to do this is to buy a AV/PC-2 cable that allows you to use video out and pc control at the same time, and then feed the video out into something that takes video input on the PC (frame grabber?):
    https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=202069-410

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thank you Moshe, and thank you Michael.

Looks like the USB/A-V connector is the way to go. Not quite the answer I was hoping for, but much better than nothing.

Maybe even use a separate little (6" or so) video monitor alongside the laptop ?

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have not used this but you may want to check out http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl_features.asp

LCD Video
    • See the output from the camera LCD via USB - no video capture device required - at frame rates up to 3 fps

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Wow .... then it can be the highest resolution web-cam :P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Question: E-510 live view and Olympus Studio

Quote Originally Posted by rkrenn View Post
    I have not used this but you may want to check out http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl_features.asp

LCD Video
    • See the output from the camera LCD via USB - no video capture device required - at frame rates up to 3 fps
    Pine Tree normally targets the point & shoot/prosumer cameras. Pre-live view DSLRs didn't have the ability to upload a live picture, so I wonder whether Olympus has remembered to add the support back into the live view cameras to be able to do this. The trouble is you can't try the DSLR add-on to pine tree without buying the package.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

This is from their website

http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl_eseries.asp

The e-series CSM provides PC control support for the Olympus e-series cameras. This support includes all of the primary exposure controls, capture, download, and viewing. Functionality not supported by Camera Controller is not supported. Unsupported features include;
    • LCD Live View mode. Live View ouput is output to the Video-Out adapter and is viewable in the Camera Controller Video Preview window.
    • Various exposure and feature settings such as; sharpness, custom whitebalance adjustment, exposure bias step size, and others

It looks like you still need that special cable Michael pointed out even with this software.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks everyone,

I have written to PineTreeComputing for clarification about the live view feature, and their mysterious Video Out Adapter.
    After all, it is referred to in their E-series Camera Support Module page, so I have to assume they're referring to using the Olympus composite A/V-USB cable.

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I've just had a reply from PineTreeComputing.
    They say to use the Olympus dual remote cable A/V,USB, as Michael referred to, and a video capture device such as from Hauppauge, ( WinTV-PCI, or WinTV-USB ), see
    http://www.hauppauge.com/,

I'm still not sure the "live view" is available on the A/V cable when the camera is set to CONTROL, (not DOWNLOAD).
    Maybe someone here with an E-410/510 and an ordinary A/V cable plugged into a TV set could confirm that.

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Surely you can't test it with an ordinary AV cable as the USB cable can't be plugged in?

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks John,

I do believe you're correct.
    The option to choose storage or control is not activated until the USB cable is plugged into a computer.
    So for testing, it will need the composite cable referred to in earlier posts.
    And I was hoping to avoid the cost of that composite cable just for testing purposes.

I have asked our local Oly service centre for their opinion, maybe they'll have the composite cable in stock

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

OK, I've had a reply back from our (NZ) Olympus agent.

(i) Using an E-510, live view is available on the A/V cable for viewing on TV set, while taking pictures, even using the IR remote. i.e simple picture-taking mode.

BUT !!!!

(ii) The AV/USB composite cable is a US-Only accessory. Can you believe it ??

So, next question, does any 4/3 forum (US member) have, or have access to, an E-410/E-510 plus AV/USB remote cable for function testing ?

i.e. for testing if live view is visible on the AV lead (eg plugged into a TV set or video monitor) at the same time as the USB lead is plugged into a computer running Olympus Studio and with the camera set to "Control" mode.

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by

[B
    BUT !!!![/B]

(ii) The AV/USB composite cable is a US-Only accessory. Can you believe it ??

So, next question, does any 4/3 forum (US member) have, or have access to, an E-410/E-510 plus AV/USB remote cable for function testing ?

i.e. for testing if live view is visible on the AV lead (eg plugged into a TV set or video monitor) at the same time as the USB lead is plugged into a computer running Olympus Studio and with the camera set to "Control" mode.

Cheers,
    Alec
    I do have the E-510 and theAV/USB cable but I've just today, gotten a license for Studio 2. So I have not tested the video functionality with the 510. I'll look at that over the next few days.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thank you "johnblue3".

It will be really interesting to know the results.
    Incidentally, can you tell me where you got the AV/USB cable from ?

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 3dpan View Post
    Thank you "johnblue3".

It will be really interesting to know the results.
    Incidentally, can you tell me where you got the AV/USB cable from ?

Cheers,
    Alec
    Today I updated my installation to Studio 2 with the full gratis license. it was kind of tedious, as I had to uninstall Studio 1 and the E System drivers that used to be required. I then hooked my E510 to the laptop using the AV/USB cable. Recall that on the PC end of the cable, you are required to have
    already installed a vidieo capture device for connecting the video to the PC thru a seperate USB port. In my case, I am using as always, Hauppage USBLIVE. With all of this, I set the E510 USB mode to CONTROL and opened Studio 2.
    In Studio 2, you have to shoot with camera control in order to see the live view thru WinTV. But this works nicely if you are willing to manually snap the picture or switch back to PC mode after live focus.

I got the AV/USB cable from Olympus, where I have only seen it mentioned on their software development page.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks "johnblue3",

Just for a bit more clarification, are you saying that once everything is connected (camera USB to computer USB, and camera AV to WinTV to computer USB), and you've switched the camera to "Control", then that is the last time you have to actually touch the camera ? (unless of course you want to aim it at another target).
    And, thereafter, using the computer only, that you can take sequential photos (of the same target) using the on-screen controls of Studio, and have live view on the computer screen via WinTV, albeit in separate windows ?

Cheers,
    Alec