Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default USB - Video - Remote Pinouts

For those who may find it usefull.
    Richard

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: USB - Video - Remote Pinouts

Richard, I suppose you attached a picture but I can't see it. Please do something about it because the info is important!

Thanks,
    Moshe

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That's really strange, the photo is on pbase.com and I could see it yesterday but not now, I went to edit mode and the photo appeared. I cancled edit and the photo was still there. I did a refresh and it disapeared. Anyway I uploaded it to this site.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you very much!

What is the item in the picture center? Is it the remote-release, or part of the AV/USB combined cable?

Moshe

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Greetings,

I added the information in this thread to our Keepers forum here. It contains a bit more information and an updated table. Let me know if any new information comes to light and I'll update it.

The one thing that I'm uncertain of is which cameras have a multi connector that supports a remote cable release like the RM-UC1. According to the Olympus website, the RM-UC1 is supported only by the E-410 and E-510. This would mean that the multi connectors of the E-330, E-500 and E-400 do not support shutter control. I'm not sure if this is accurate but I can't test the cameras because I only have a couple of E-1 bodies.

I also have no information about the Panasonic and Leica models.

So let me know if you have more information.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The best information is found from the system charts.
    Since the E-400 was only released in Europe, you'll have to go there:
    (Yes, the RM-UC1 is suported also for the E-400, but not for E-330).

http://olympus-europa.com/consumer/208_1212.htm

System Chart E-410 / E-510 468 KB Start Download

System Chart for E-400 / E-330 3.25 MB Start download
    System Chart for E-500 / E-330 / E-1 733 KB Start download
    System Chart for E-500 / E-300 / E-1 744 KB Start download

For Panasonic:
    http://panasonic.jp/dc/l1/
    http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/l1/
    http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...art/index.html

For Leica:
    http://www.leica-camera.co.uk/photog...tem/digilux_3/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Knight Palm,

Thanks for the information. Here's what I was able to glean from your post and links:

E-330
    No mention of RM-UC1 support in the system charts. You stated it is not supported and I'll take your word for it.

E-500
    No mention of RM-UC1 support in the system charts. I'm still unclear whether or not its multi connector supports the shutter function.

E-400
    The system chart is a large download so I didn't view it. You stated that it does support the RM-UC1 and I'll take your word for it.

E-410
    Supports the RM-UC1.

E-510
    Supports the RM-UC1.

Panasonic DMC-L1
    Does not have an Olympus multi connector.

Leica Digilux 3
    Does not have an Olympus multi connector.

Both of the system charts that contained the E-500 only showed the RM-CB1 which works with the older cameras with descrete connectors (E-1 and E-300 with HLD-3 grip). The charts noted that the RM-CB1 would not work with an E-500 which we already knew. But there was no mention of the RM-UC1 at all. So I'm still unsure whether or not the multi connector on the E-500 supports a shutter function.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Olympus doesn't state it, but why add this 12-pin combo-connector and not wire it up inside the camera? I think the shutter support came after the E-330, and with one of the ultra-zoom cameras (SP-510 UZ) together with the E-400, once they figured out what to do with this 12-pin multi connector in future.

It looks like there are also several USB cables for the Olympus dSLR and other Olympus cameras:
    • CB-USB1: E-100 RS, E-10, E-20
    • CB-USB4: E-1, E-300
    • CB-USB6: E-500, E-330, E-400, E-410, E-510
    • AV/PC-2: E-500, E-330, E-400, E-410, E-510
    • RM-UC1: E-400, E-410, E-510, (SP-510 UZ, SP-550 UZ)
    Since the E-400 is not mentioned on the Olympus America websites, one needs to add E-400 whenever the E-410 is present.

It seems Olympus is going for this 12-pin combo USB connector to save space at least on the consumer dSLRs. But what about the upcoming E-P1? The IEEE 1394 (Firewire 400) is probably gone in all newer high end cameras (like recently with EOS-1D MkIII) and replaced with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed, so probably also the case for the E-P1. But what about the heritage from E-1 & E-300 with respect to RM-CB1 and AC-1? Also the eyecup accessories of the E-P1 seems to harmonize with the consumer dSLRs?

Ref:

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Palm View Post
    Olympus doesn't state it, but why add this 12-pin combo-connector and not wire it up inside the camera? ...
    I found the answer in an earlier thread. Neither the E-330 nor E-500 support a remote cable release. Indeed, Olympus chose not to wire the shutter to the multi connector in those two camera models. I think it's a bad decision on their part. I'll update the post in the Keepers forum.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: USB - Video - Remote Pinouts

Quote Originally Posted by First Light View Post
    I found the answer in an earlier thread. Neither the E-330 nor E-500 support a remote cable release. Indeed, Olympus chose not to wire the shutter to the multi connector in those two camera models. I think it's a bad decision on their part. I'll update the post in the Keepers forum.
    I think you have the cause and effect reversed. The RM-UC1 came out after the E-500/E-330 had already been shipping and was announced along with the E-400. Likely, Olympus picked a connector in the E-500 time frame which some extra pins available, and then figured to shoe-horn the wired shutter release in when they heard gripes about no possibility of a shutter release. Presumably the A/V PC2 cable was designed before the shutter release was contemplated, because there is no option to provide a shutter release + USB control + A/V output.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I think we're almost getting the details sorted out now.
    I also think the lack of remote control via cable for the popular E-500 (possibly also with the E-330), caused Olympus to rethink the priority for it in later models.

So, what we need now is a fully wired 12-pin multi connector adapter, that includes analogue video, USB control, and also Remote control.
    Why not ask for such an additional product, and call it A/V/RM PC3.

But when will we see digital video, as well as a non-cable radio interface via either Bluetooth or Certified Wireless USB, WiMedia ? Watch Sony or Olympus for pioneering this area, presumably first in P&S cameras with shorter life cycles.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Michael,

I can understand why you view it that way. But I'm approaching this from a longer history with the E-10, E-20 and E-1. The fact remains that earlier cameras had a connector for a remote cable release and the feature was dropped with the E-500 and E-330. I doubt that Olympus made the decision to move to the multi connector without planning to incorporate the shutter release function into it. Else why would they choose a 12-pin connector? It's a mystery to me why they omitted the function from the E-500 and E-330. I don't think that it is necessarily linked to the release date of the RM-UC1.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: USB - Video - Remote Pinouts

Quote Originally Posted by First Light View Post
    Hi Michael,

I can understand why you view it that way. But I'm approaching this from a longer history with the E-10, E-20 and E-1. The fact remains that earlier cameras had a connector for a remote cable release and the feature was dropped with the E-500 and E-330. I doubt that Olympus made the decision to move to the multi connector without planning to incorporate the shutter release function into it. Else why would they choose a 12-pin connector? It's a mystery to me why they omitted the function from the E-500 and E-330. I don't think that it is necessarily linked to the release date of the RM-UC1.
    I have no insight into Olympus' thought patterns, but up until the E-400 came out, it appeared that Olympus consided the wired shutter release as a pro/prosumer feature. On the 'pro' bodies (E-10, E-20, E-1) the camera had a direct connection for the RM-CB1. On the 'prosumer' bodies (C-8080WZ, C-7070WZ, E-300), the optional battery grip had a port for the wired shutter release, while the consumer bodies (most of the C-* series, E-500, E-330) there was no option for a wired shutter release. With the E-400, the thinking evidently changed, in that the new wired shutter release (RM-UC1) is now available even on the consumer bodies (E-400, E-410, E-510, SP-550, SP-510).

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi All

I just registered here, after a search & turned this discussion up. Thanks for the pin out saved me a bit of time.

To add I have just modified a JJg remote lead to add the video out, this was entirely sucessful.

Presently I'm trying to find a supplier of the "raw plug". I have whittled back the existing cables supplied (USB) in order to solder appropriate wiring.

Does anybody know what this 12pin plug is known as.

I have managed to get a Chinese after manufacturer to respond to my emails trying to buy this "jack" but they still want to sell me complete cables, something that wouldn't bother if the plugs back shell "fell off".

Should anyone find a supplier of the raw plug let me know. Of the cables I have whittled they're all similar, but to get one without all the moulded plastic would be nice.

I have emailed 9 Chinese manufactures (found so far) hoping they might create the video out and remote interface I want.

Better still just hook up all 12 wires.