Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is interested in domestic US IR conversion? >

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Who is interested in domestic US IR conversion? >

I am very interested in shooting more and better IR. Currently, I am only set up to shoot IR with my Canon G7 with an external Hoya R72 filter. This is less than an optimum solution. My exposures are about .5-1 second in daylight or daylight shadows, and the images come out pretty noisy, even when I set it to ISO 100.

I could have the Canon or another P&S converted to infrared only, but I do use the Canon for other types of photography, and I would like the ability to IR photos with different lenses. The logical choice would be to have a converted Olympus body, but I don't believe any business in the US currently offers this service for Olympus bodies.

I sent an email to LDP (www.maxmax.com) and inquired about having an E-500 body converted. I received a prompt reply from the owner, stating that he would add it to the list of bodies he can convert, if he gets enough requests for it. He did say he had converted an E-330 once, but that it was a lot of work. Perhaps this was due to the Live View mechanism? Jens' post made it seem like the SSWF wasn't a huge roadblock.

Anyway, considering the availability of cheap E-500 bodies, I think it's an ideal IR solution in 4/3 format. If you'd like an E-500 converted, please contact LDP and ask for it. The more, the merrier. LDP can be contacted at sales@maxmax.com.
    E-500 E-330 11-22mm 50-200mm 50mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vautrain/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Who is interested in domestic US IR conversion? >

I would be interestet in a converted E-camera, but alas, I'm sitting in good ol' Europe which makes this a little bit difficult (customs duty, and then I don't even have a credit card so would have to pay with Western Union which would add to the costs)

but, all in all, I'd rather have converted my E-330 to IR, simply because it's so convenient to focus with IR filter on and live view (boost on), and the E-330 also would be better than the E-500 concerning noise

anyway, another idea: someone I know reported that after sending his E-500 to Olympus for service (some minor problem) Olympus did not only clean the camera but changed the IR-filter too (he knew because he got much longer shot times after the service, so he suspects they put in a stronger IR-filter): so, change of IR-filter might be a standard procedure at Oly service

why not ask Olympus if they might remove the IR-filter? (surely this is more complicated due to SSWF)
    when I'm updating to a new body (probably E-510, probably E-P1, sometime 2008), I'm considering taking this step: asking Oly to convert my E-330 to an IR model

EDIT: now that I've read how LDP converts cameras: I think an E-500 or E-330 would also be fine for infrared if you just remove the IR filter (you might have to dump the AA-filter too) and use the camera with IR-filter on the lens: this would bring another advantage, you'd be able to use this convert model for UV fotography, too, or combined IR-UV (with filters, of course), and you even could shoot in normal spectrum (with an IR-UV blocking filter)

anyway, I wouldn't need AF on an IR-E-330 - I'd be happy to focus manually via LiveView ;-)
    Cheers, Herman

sokolblog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hmm, now he's saying he will only put 715nm glass in an IR conversion. Maybe I'll try somewhere else, I like the really black sky look of the 850nm (87C) glass.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

What about the E-300? Can it be done? I would prefer a clear glass as replacement to the hot glass. The IR can be a filter in the front of the lens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I think the porro-prism may cause disassembly headaches, but I'm not sure. I may be sending my E-500 body to LDP for investigation, but the gentleman said he wasn't sure if he wanted to do the job. He'd take a look and let me know, and return it to me at no charge if he didn't want to do it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I would be interested in a e300 conversion, but in reality it would cost way more than its worth.

The prices of Sigma Sd10 has plummeted lately and I am keeping a close eye on those just for IR , as i believe they either have a weak filter or a user removable one.

Bruce

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I guess that's fine if you already have some Sigma lenses laying around. I'd like to be able to use my ZD lenses for infrared, I don't want to buy into another system for IR.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Same with me. Not willing to carry a different system as I already got enough 4/3 lens. An E-300 would be dandy as a used unit is as cheap as it would get.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

An E300 conversion would be very appealing to me!

I have a couple of them and if it was an option, rather than selling them both off when I upgrade I would love to get 1 modified
    About Bob

Daily Photoblog and Photography Blog

Need somewhere to host a photo - Free Image Hosting

E-3, HLD4, E300, HLD3, ZD11-22, ZD 14-45, ZD14-54, Sigma 30 f1.4, ZD35 Macro, ZD40-150(orig), ZD50-200, EC-14 and EX-25, fl-36.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

You guys should ask him. I think what turned him off about the E-330 was the porro-prism, and that would obviously still be an issue in the E-300. I think the E-500 would be ideal, since it's so cheap right now, but it's not really out of date.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Im definantly interested in a e series IR camera. find out what kind of costs are involved....
    shooting fuji X10 and X-S1 at the moment.

Soon to have an e-3, e-30, e-620 and e-410 bodies with a bunch of glass. I can't wait to be back with the E-System.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    The prices of Sigma Sd10 has plummeted lately and I am keeping a close eye on those just for IR , as i believe they either have a weak filter or a user removable one.
    you'll still have to pay about € 400-550 for an SD10 (used or new) in Europe (with kit lens or no lens) or € 300-400 if you're luck, and yes, the IR-filter of the SD10 is removeable (it's included in the Sigma dust filter which is easy to remove)
    the SD10 would be ideal for IR, but you'll have to carry a second system and you'll have to cope with the workflow of Sigma RAW conversion (it only allows for RAW, which anyway is best for infrared, but as most RAW converters including ACR seem to have some problems with Fovoen RAWs you will have to learn to live with Sigma's own RAW developing software)

you see, the Sigma option is in my mind, too - but I'd much prefer the conversion option, and for this, again, a camera with Live View ... well, probably someday I'll get there ;-)

another thing, hot spot with Zuiko lenses; I already tested some, these are my findings:
    - 11-22: someone I know tested it, this lens seems to be perfect for IR
    - 14-54: unfortunately, slight hot spot and it delivers IR-RAWs with much more color than for example the 35/3.5: green really has quite a lot of green with this lens in infrared (with 695 nm); to avoid hot spot, best shoot with this lens at the wide end and preferable with f=2.8 or stop down a little (stopping down & at zooms using the long end makes hot spots stronger as mentioned at the LDP site): so, no "real" Wood effect with 695 nm
    - 50-200: no hot spot, it seems, but on the other hand "strange" colours, I only did a few test shots, but surely no good Wood effect
    - 35/3.5 macro: wonderful Wood effect, just perfect for IR
    - 14-42 (new kit): someone I know tested it, no hot spot, seems to be perfect for IR (and I think I'll buy this one just for IR use)
    OM lenses:
    - 28/3.5 useless for IR, huge hot spot, impossible to get sharp
    - 35/2.8 very good IR lens, although the ZD 35/3.5 is better (sharper), so I don't really use it
    - 50/1.8 very good IR lens too
    - 50/1.4 (serial no. >1,1 mio): medium hot spot and as the much cheaper 50/1.8 is much better for IR you'll better take the latter
    - 135/2.8 is also OK for IR; I don't have yet a filter adapter for it's filter size and just held the IR filter with my hands, nevertheless got a few sharp, acceptable pictures (I'll sometime get an adapter, but anyway for IR I use much more wide angle than tele)
    Cheers, Herman

sokolblog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

That's very interesting info on hot spots. Thank you! And this is precisely why I want a DSLR (and an Olympus DSLR, specifically) solution for IR shooting. I don't want to be limited to a single lens for shooting IR, such as on a P&S.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

A quick question / pool.

What amount of money you guys would be willing to spend on IR conversion of your existing E body - E1 or E500?

500USD?
    1000USD?

What is the max price you would be willing to pay?

I have some idea in my head, but before I continue I need this number.

Thank you very much in advance,
    Sincerely yours
    Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Sokol,

how bad are the hot spots you are referring to? What filter are you using - R72?

I haven't noted any hot spots with any of my ZD lenses at any aperture. (I have only noted a bit of vignetting.)

What is the "wood" effect?

I'm shooting with a Schott RG780 filter (corresponding to Wratten #87) so I inherently get very minor colour shifts.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Most places tend to charge about 350-450 USD for a DSLR IR conversion, so 500 USD would be on the upper end of acceptable, I think. I probably would not consider spending more than that.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Will V. View Post
    Most places tend to charge about 350-450 USD for a DSLR IR conversion, so 500 USD would be on the upper end of acceptable, I think. I probably would not consider spending more than that.
    Thank you very much for the feedback!

I hope I'll hear more from others that are interested.
    What is top end of a scale to be interested to pay for IR conversion?

Thanks in advance
    yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I think i am ready. I took my old canon G1, opened it all the way up to the point where i can remove the sensor and put it back together again, it still works . Now i just need to get a glass ir filter. Where do i get it? Life picture sells a pre cut one for 100 US (that seems like to much). Can i use an hoya r72(it is pretty close to the correct thickness) and just cut it to the correct size?

I would try it on my e500 but it is still under warranty and i would not pay more than 400 for a conversion

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I think you could only cut it yourself if you had access to lapidary equipment, and even then, it would be pretty easy to mess up. But a single 58mm or so Hoya filter would probably give you enough glass for a couple of tries, at least.

Read Jens' experience trying to cut his own filter for his E-1 conversion (almost to the bottom of the first page):

http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=14475

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I think a usual Hoya R72 filter is only 2 mm thick while the AA+IR-cut filter in front of the sensor of the E-1 is 3.25 mm. Also, if you are interested in the R-72 type of filter, I would recommend the Schott RG715 which is very close in IR-transmission but is 3 mm in thickness. It is also a lot more easy to cut than the RG780 (that I used for my conversions) because it is made with another glass technology which makes it basically inert to both acids, alkalines as well as moderate heat.

Of course I don't know if the E-500 uses the 3.25 mm thick filters as the E-1 does. So, someone has to figure that out before you can decide upon a filter.

Cheers, Jens.

FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just to clarify - the hoya r72 is going to be used for my canon G1 - the AA+IR-cut filter on that is 2mm so i think that it is a good fit.
    Would scoring and breaking work to cut the glass? If not i might just have to buy a pre-cut piece

The e-500 has not been opened....yet

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by stuff352 View Post
    Would scoring and breaking work to cut the glass?
    It might work but I'd prefer cutting such an expensive piece of glass. Scribing as well as breaking it will produce a large amounts of microscopic glass debris covering the filter, so it has to be thoroughly cleaned in an ultrasonic bath afterwards anyway.

Cheers, Jens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bojan Volcansek View Post
    A quick question / pool.

What amount of money you guys would be willing to spend on IR conversion of your existing E body - E1 or E500?
    I would be happy to pay $500US for my E-1, but less for another body. (I have an E-300, but not an E-500.) The added reliability and durability of the E-1 makes the conversion more sensible as a long-term investment.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I would be happy to pay $500US for my E-1, but less for another body. (I have an E-300, but not an E-500.) The added reliability and durability of the E-1 makes the conversion more sensible as a long-term investment.
    Thank you very much for response!

yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I would be interested in a conversion for the E-1