Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio 2 is a total disaster

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Studio 2 is a total disaster

First, let me say that I actually like Studio 1 - it is my preferred converter.....

clean and convenient interface, easy to use, some nice features (tone and distortion correction, etc.), great results - all within its known limitations, of course....

so I was eager to 'upgrade' to Studio 2...

what a disaster.... Studio 2 on a mac is not even usuable...

besides the ridiculous interface that looks like it was written for children and the mindless preoccupation with such 'professional' tasks as sending emails and creating albums, it has many serious setbacks:

-- crashes frequently - nothing else crashes on my mac
    -- 3x SLOWER than Studio 1 - I timed it
    -- requirement that all files and folders be 'registered' with Studio 2
    -- can no longer batch from current image, must create batch setting file
    -- can't batch folder with both vertical and horizontal images, at least not with resizing - it forces vertical images into horizontal shapes by stretching and warping them (hey, I guess if you want a cheap 'fisheye' function)
    -- resize within edit function is totally unpredictable - a lotto game, just enter the numbers and see what bizarre sizes you actually get
    -- retains the 'orf' name, even when batching to jpgs

and that is just a small list - I could go on and on... and did they fix the 'old' flaws - nope.... still lose exif data when converting to tiffs, e.g.

I've wasted a few hours on the phone with Oly tech support, but they only have one mac computer and it is obvious the tech support people do not know much about this software and nothing about how it works on a mac...

I like some third party converters (esp Raw Developer) but it does scare me to think that we won't even have an option to use Oly converter for E3.... what if the third party converters take 6 months to add support for E3 or mess up the colors or have more cross-hatching image issues?

Mostly I just don't understand why Olympus would even consider publishing this unusable and embarrassing piece of [insert expletive here] - even for free.... how could they look anyone in the eye and say this is their 'professional' software for the new E3??
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Studio 2 is a total disaster - one more thing

Studio 2 is HUGE....

Photoshop CS2 87MB
    Raw Developer 13MB
    ACR 11MB
    Silkypix 54MB
    Studio 1 26MB

and Studio 2 95MB ----- bigger than Photoshop CS2!
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Studio 2 is a total disaster

Greetings,

That's bad news! I wish that Olympus would get out of the software business. I also hope they'll update their raw plug-in for Photoshop so it supports the newer cameras.

In the meantime, I'm waiting to upgrade to Studio 2 until I switch to Windows Vista for my main computer or I get the E-P1 (whichever occurs first). Who knows, it may be free with the E-P1.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by First Light View Post
    Greetings,

That's bad news! I wish that Olympus would get out of the software business. I also hope they'll update their raw plug-in for Photoshop so it supports the newer cameras.
    I think the problem is that they DID get out of the software business......Studio 2 appears to come from Pixology - the same company that does all the uploading applications for Costco, Jessops, Dixons, etc.

In the meantime, I'm waiting to upgrade to Studio 2 until I switch to Windows Vista for my main computer or I get the E-P1 (whichever occurs first). Who knows, it may be free with the E-P1.
    the 'upgrade' is free now, for everyone who already has Studio 1 - you don't have to buy a new camera to get it...just call or email them with your name, system preference and current license number.

it is such bad software, though - I can't imagine how angry I would be if i had actually paid for this...

I hate to say it, but things like this start to erode my confidence in Olympus...
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I've been on the phone and email for 6 days with Oly over this issue.

Todays email tells me there may be an issue with Studio 1 cache files that causes the Studio 2 not to open or crash.

The downside is Studio 2 made me uninstall Studio 1 first. I had to use Norton Go-Back to get my original software to re-load as the disks and I are in two different states.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I can't even load the trial version as I keep getting a message saying Studio 1 is still loaded. But I don't think I'll bother now, even if I could.

BTW, I think Master 2 is a disaster as well, what a slow and clunky program. It crashes on a regular basis as well.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    BTW, I think Master 2 is a disaster as well, what a slow and clunky program. It crashes on a regular basis as well.

Studio 2 looks a lot like Master 2 - the same cartoony interface....

I didn't spend enough time with Master 2 and don't remember for sure, but it might be that the only difference between the two is the tethered shooting capability...

so that should convince you not to bother with Studio 2!

and I was Studio 1's biggest supporter....
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post

Cheers

Ray
    Must admit my experience with Master 2 is better than yours Ray. OK, it aint sophisticated but it does the editing basics alright for me at a reasonable speed. Never had it crash on me either. I use PShop CS as well.

Bill

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Who knows, it may be free with the E-P1.
    Yippee....FREE junk

We don't need to "wish" they would get out of the software business. We need to demand they get out. We need to push them to pull an Adobe or Microsoft and go buy someone like Willy Nilly Pix or whatever...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks Doreen,

You just saved me a lot of heartache it sounds like.

Because I, too, actually "like" Studio1.

True, I only use it for one thing - raw development.
    But I did my own "Olympus 4 engine develop-off" and really like my raw development through the one I picked.

So, I was thinking, "ooh, I can't wait to get Studio2, maybe it will be faster, better, save my TIFF exifs (!)," etc.

But not now. Don't need the heartache.
    I'll just toddle along with Studio1 until forced to move on, and see what looks best at that time. But it looks like "what looks best" ain't Studio2.
    (Unless some PC users chime in that the PC version is the most blazingly brilliant program they've ever used; ain't holding my breath.)

Thanks for takin' one for the team.

James

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What kind of mac do you have?
    The studio 2 on my intel mac is pretty fast, certainly a lot faster than the 1.x version that was running in rosetta. On my old powerbook, it also seems faster than the older version by quite a bit, so I suspect there's something wrong with your installation.

I've not had Studio crash once, but I must admit I don't often use it. And usually not for a prolonged time. Regarding the lacking functionality (or changes), I cannot comment.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I also got the Studio 2 with the E-410, but no guts to load it to computer, I am now using Silkypix 3.0 licensed, it is smooth, good and also can develop jpeg files, I like it so much.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4/3_Pickles View Post
    ... We don't need to "wish" they would get out of the software business. We need to demand they get out. We need to push them to pull an Adobe or Microsoft and go buy someone like Willy Nilly Pix or whatever...
    My dream fantasy is that Olympus would dump all of its software applications and decide to fully support Adobe Photoshop Elements and CS3. I believe that Olympus can provide all the special features we need, including raw development, remote camera control and firmware updates, via Photoshop plug-ins. They should then bundle a copy of Photoshop Elements with every one of their 4/3rds cameras. Perhaps the entry-level cameras would get some sort of scaled down or "lite" version of Photoshop Elements with a nice upgrade coupon in the box.

Olympus can simplify the plug-in programming if they switch to Adobe's DNG raw format. Then they won't need to provide an out-of-camera raw converter and we will finally have top-notch results with ACR because Olympus will take care of the proprietary data conversion to DNG in-camera. And it will make it feasable to support DNG---which I can't do as long as proprietary ORFs are the only means of obtaining raw data.

That would leave only two items that would requre a plug-in: remote control and firmware updates. A remote camera control system that worked within Photoshop would be the envy of many studio photographers and signal that Olympus is ready for the "big time".

Let's all hope that Olympus' new cameras sell like hotcakes and their market share grows. Then they'll attract more positive attention from software developers like Adobe.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Noooooo! I'd rather that Olympus teamed with Phase One and then we'd have a serious RAW converter focussed on workflow, not fluff.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

panasonic is bundling silkypix, I believe
    mamiya has a deal with lightroom/adobe

this may become a trend, which, in fact is a good way to proceed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

As long as in-camera DNG isn't implemented, I'm fine with whatever they provide us as long as I won't have to shell out extra $$ just to develop my occasional RAW files - as long as the software functions satisfactorily and gives the true Oly conversion.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I don't see what is wrong with in-camera DNG. It is what I mentioned months ago and what I wanted them to do with the E-410 and E-510.

Like First Light said, Olympus would do the conversions to DNG themselves, so if they have a "special tweak" they can't share with nobody, then they keep it to themselves, convert the image, and be done with it.

Only thing I know of is people are scared of DNG because Adobe owns it. If that is the case, they also "own" TIFF and PDF, a couple of file format busts, right?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

I bet it's probably been mentioned before, but I must have missed it...does Studio 1.xx open and develop ORF files from the 410/510 bodies?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckr53 View Post
    I bet it's probably been mentioned before, but I must have missed it...does Studio 1.xx open and develop ORF files from the 410/510 bodies?
    No....

and that is the message that I tried to give Oly tech support - since Studio 2 is just so awful, couldn't they please, please back track just a little and provide support in Studio 1 for E410, E510 and E3?

otherwise, we have to buy new Oly cameras knowing that our only real option is going to third party converters - all of whom have to 'guess' at the secrets that provide the Oly 'look'....

but as a point of difference with First Light, I don't want Olympus to get out of the software business and join forces with photoshop - Studio 1 has its flaws, but it also was pretty advanced when it was released in 2003.... the more that companies throw in the towel and give it up to Adobe, the fewer new ideas we get...... Raw Developer is a small application (only 13MB in size) but has a tremendous amount of functionality - 4 different types of sharpening systems, 6 different types of noise reduction systems, chroma curves, most adjustments by default made in CIELab, and a bazillion types of black & white conversions, for example..... and a different - and more efficient - workflow that is so much easier than photoshop..... maybe not for everyone, but certainly for me .....

I'd hate to see these types of innovative programs bite the dust if all the camera companies just throw in the towel and give in to Adobe....

but more importantly, Olympus is the #1 priority for Olympus, and a single but vocal person (like me) can help put Olympus on the map for the smaller independents like Raw Developer( e.g. already has support for both E410 and E510, had E400 long time ago), but Olympus will always be way down on the list of priorities for the big guys like Adobe....
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Craig,

that is exactly what I meant. Olympus-created DNG files would be good, provided that they can contain enough proprietary information to retain the image quality we are used to. If not... then I'd prefer ORF or a second generation DNG.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, probably my English isn't good enough: By "As long as ...", I meant: 'Meanwhile ... '. Was that a wrong use of it?

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

It just seems ludicrous to load a 95MB program to simply develop RAW.

Has anyone done any timing test on how fast the 410/510 write TIFFs?

Quote Originally Posted by dmpbyrdwatcher View Post
    No....

and that is the message that I tried to give Oly tech support - since Studio 2 is just so awful, couldn't they please, please back track just a little and provide support in Studio 1 for E410, E510 and E3?

otherwise, we have to buy new Oly cameras knowing that our only real option is going to third party converters - all of whom have to 'guess' at the secrets that provide the Oly 'look'....

but as a point of difference with First Light, I don't want Olympus to get out of the software business and join forces with photoshop - Studio 1 has its flaws, but it also was pretty advanced when it was released in 2003.... the more that companies throw in the towel and give it up to Adobe, the fewer new ideas we get...... Raw Developer is a small application (only 13MB in size) but has a tremendous amount of functionality - 4 different types of sharpening systems, 6 different types of noise reduction systems, chroma curves, most adjustments by default made in CIELab, and a bazillion types of black & white conversions, for example..... and a different - and more efficient - workflow that is so much easier than photoshop..... maybe not for everyone, but certainly for me .....

I'd hate to see these types of innovative programs bite the dust if all the camera companies just throw in the towel and give in to Adobe....

but more importantly, Olympus is the #1 priority for Olympus, and a single but vocal person (like me) can help put Olympus on the map for the smaller independents like Raw Developer( e.g. already has support for both E410 and E510, had E400 long time ago), but Olympus will always be way down on the list of priorities for the big guys like Adobe....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hello again,

The more I think about it (I know---that can be dangerous ), the more significant Doreen's report becomes. My paradigm for photography has changed a lot in the last 5 years. A raw workflow is an essential part of a digital camera for me.

If Olympus really blows it in this area, it may force me to consider a different camera system. You can have the greatest glass in the world, but if you can't develop decent images from the camera without a lot of pain, what's the point?

I never thought I would write this, but "software" may be a sufficient issue to control a photographer's camera choice.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well, FWIW, if anybody's "tossin in the towel" I'd much rather them toss it in the direction of Ichikawa Software (Silkypix) than a megalith like Adobe.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hello again,

The more I think about it (I know---that can be dangerous ), the more significant Doreen's report becomes. My paradigm for photography has changed a lot in the last 5 years. A raw workflow is an essential part of a digital camera for me.

If Olympus really blows it in this area, it may force me to consider a different camera system. You can have the greatest glass in the world, but if you can't develop decent images from the camera without a lot of pain, what's the point?

I never thought I would write this, but "software" may be a sufficient issue to control a photographer's camera choice.

Hi First Light,

what you have written is EXACTLY the way I felt after seeing just how bad Studio 2 is....

and that is exactly the message I was trying to get to Olympus - but of course, I could only talk to some low level tech support person....

I've calmed down a bit (in fact, I just ordered E410 for myself) - but only because I know Raw Developer will work and only because this is just a hobby for me....

but it will definitely make me a bit nervous with respect to E3 and higher end lenses....
    doreen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

let's put it into a little perspective:
    - the nikon capture software (now outsourced as well, like oly studio) is crap
    - canon dpp sucks
    - fuji software (whatever the name is) doesn't even deserve to be mentioned really
    - pentax, don't know, probably sucks as well
    - olympus, well, we know that it isn't super duper either

so, the conclusion is:
    - every camera manufacturer is pretty s.h.i.t.t.y as a software developer
    - they still live in the "darkroom ages" where software wasn't part of the deal
    - even olympus with their "from the ground up digital" system seems to ignore the fact that without good workflow software the modern photographer is helpless.