Thread: Lens Filters

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Question Lens Filters

Is there a lens filter that does not affect the picture quality? I have the 14-54mm lens and currently do not have any protective filter on the lens because I am worried about it affecting picture quality, but am I taking too big of a risk at having my lens ruined by not protecting it?
    ~Alison~
    I'm not even close to knowing it all!
    http://www.pbase.com/akrab

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Lens Filters

The best filter that you can get is the B&W MRC UV. It's not cheap, but it won't affect the image quality at all and, as a bonus, is very easy to keep clean.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

thank you for the reply.
    would this be it?
    http://www.amazon.com/B-W-Violet-Coa...399479-6219633
    ~Alison~
    I'm not even close to knowing it all!
    http://www.pbase.com/akrab

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

That looks like it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Interesting to note that the E-510 manual does not have the caution against UV filter use that earlier 4/3 system camera manuals had.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Personally I'd choose a clear filter over a UV one as traditional UV filters do affect colour balance slightly, and the UV block effect is not needed with digital sensors.

A filter can degrade your image quality either by refraction due to poor grinding, or by surface reflection cutting down light transmission and introducing flare. Any lens element can suffer from these issues.

Both are pretty much licked by mid to upper range filters now, being comparable to the other lens elements, and because the filter can be cleaned so readily it can actually improve the quality of your shots versus being hesitant to clean the lens itself.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Hoya make clear filters in a range of sizes, even ones they call Digital filters. You can search eBay for a range of prices/suppliers.

Best price I've found is from a firm called Best Eastern, see this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOYA-58mm-Clear-...QQcmdZViewItem

And if you go to their Store, the price is even better.

I've dealt with them in the past, and have just ordered a UV/polarising combo from them.

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question Re: Lens Filters

A question to these please, does anyone kow if there is the possibility that these filters are fakes (either Hoya or B&W)? If I compare the prices to local (UK) traders, even online traders, they only cost a fraction of the price. The only thing what bumps up the cost a bit is the shipping. has anyone noticed a difference or is getting bad bictures because of inferiour glass quality (if they are fakes)?

Quote Originally Posted by 3dpan View Post
    Hoya make clear filters in a range of sizes, even ones they call Digital filters. You can search eBay for a range of prices/suppliers.

Best price I've found is from a firm called Best Eastern, see this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOYA-58mm-Clear-...QQcmdZViewItem

And if you go to their Store, the price is even better.

I've dealt with them in the past, and have just ordered a UV/polarising combo from them.

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Arnd View Post
    A question to these please, does anyone kow if there is the possibility that these filters are fakes
    It's hard to judge the glass, but everything else looks identical. In particular, within a product line, the coatings are the same colour as the locally available ones. It's hard to fake the coatings as they depend on a particular thickness per layer, a particular number of layers, and a particular chemical makeup.

Filters are thin, so things have to be really screwed up before effects will be obvious. How to get a quantified result on the non obvious I don't know, but if they were outright frauds I'd've expected the Ebay sellers to have been shut down long ago.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

4Arnd,

I tend to agree with acme, if they are fakes, then they are very convincing fakes.
    And for Best Eastern, look at their eBay feedback record, 10762 and 99.6% positive. Any hint of a fraud would surely have shown up by now. That's a lot of successful trading in almost three years.
    I find them very efficient and professional to deal with, even sending me a confirmation of shipping and a tracking number for my filter order.
    If I am indeed being conned, which I doubt, then it's being done in the nicest way.
    BTW, UK prices for cameras etc are also inflated compared with even the US.

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It's a fair question, and one not easily answered without holding and examining the goods.

It's pretty easy to observe multicoating on the glass (both sides). The mount should be nicely made with smooth, accurate threading that spins onto the lens easily without binding. B+W filters also use brass mounts, which are quite hefty compared to aluminum.

I roll my eyes every time I get a new lens with a filter size I don't already own, as I prepare for the new assault on my wallet. (I've had decent luck buying used from established dealers, except for the ghoushly expensive circular polarizers.)

--Rick

Quote Originally Posted by 4Arnd View Post
    A question to these please, does anyone kow if there is the possibility that these filters are fakes (either Hoya or B&W)? If I compare the prices to local (UK) traders, even online traders, they only cost a fraction of the price. The only thing what bumps up the cost a bit is the shipping. has anyone noticed a difference or is getting bad bictures because of inferiour glass quality (if they are fakes)?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I tend to buy one large circular polariser and a series of step-up rings.

Saves the "assault on the wallet", though it can get a bit tedious, fiddling with the rings and their minute threads.

Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by akrab View Post
    Is there a lens filter that does not affect the picture quality? I have the 14-54mm lens and currently do not have any protective filter on the lens because I am worried about it affecting picture quality, but am I taking too big of a risk at having my lens ruined by not protecting it?

There's just no one single answer here. A filter can break and damage your lens as easily as protect it. Unless you're reckless, clumsy or just go to places where you can't control your environment (parties, concerts , etc.) , a hood can be fine protection. If you need dust protection in a dirty environment, that's different consideration, but you wouldn't need it on full time.

Since I don't know you, I don't know how "worried" you are. To some it's thought, but no big deal. Some lose brain cells over it . Only you know what's best for you.

-Garth