Thread: Extension Tubes ?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Extension Tubes ?

I hope to be getting the E510 someday but have original, Zuiko legacy lenses from my OM1 and OM3 days.
    Does anyone know if I can use my extension tubes with the new digital lenses, and if they'll work with legacy lenses on the 510?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Extension Tubes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
    I hope to be getting the E510 someday but have original, Zuiko legacy lenses from my OM1 and OM3 days.
    Does anyone know if I can use my extension tubes with the new digital lenses, and if they'll work with legacy lenses on the 510?
    It's very desirable to maintain electrical connections on fourthirds lenses, so traditional extension tubes are not very useful with them. They will work fine with manual lenses, but since the current fourthirds adapters lack aperture actuators the auto function of "auto" tubes is lost.

Hopefully some day Olympus will open the fourthirds specification and allow third parties to build more sophisticated adapters.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Extension Tubes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
    You cannot generally use OM extension tubes with digital lenses. The mount is different and you need an active circuit between the lens and the camera to focus the lens and stop it down, since 4/3rds lenses are focus by wire -- i.e. the focus ring sends a signal back to the camera and it drives the lens motor from there. Olympus sells an extension tube (EX-25) that does work with the longer lenses. I would imagine the tubes would still work with OM lenses if you use the MF-1 adaptor to be able to mount an OM lens on a 4/3rds camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Extension Tubes ?

Thank you, guys.