Thread: I just got a raise!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Talking I just got a raise!

What piece of kit should I get to celebrate?

OK, never mind that I just ordered a Velbon 530 carbon fiber tripod. That was before I found out about the raise!

I'm kind of thinking about the Sigma 30mm, or maybe the ZD 50mm. Then again, I could really see putting my ZD 50-200mm on a EC-14.
    E-500 E-330 11-22mm 50-200mm 50mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vautrain/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: I just got a raise!

Get the 50ZD macro. Sharp as they come.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Buy a motorcycle!

IMO, it is the ultimate in photo accessories. for a modest payment of less than $100 USD a month, you can find yourself going places you've never dreamed of on the back of a Yamaha 650 Silverado.

Think of driving the Spoon River festival on the back of a Bike. A ride to New Salem on a crisp Autumn morning. If you are ambitious, drive to Door County, or French Lick.

You won't necessarily feel the need to go fast, but the urge to GO will be strong!
    Glen Barrington
    Cheese Whiz

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: Buy a motorcycle!

Glen, I have no idea how to ride a motorcycle. Not to mention my girlfriend and my mother would both kill me. I would love it, though. Maybe you can show me when we get together (this weekend? I'm in town).

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Will V. View Post
    ...I have no idea how to ride a motorcycle. Not to mention my girlfriend and my mother would both kill me. I would love it, though...
    Hi Will!

These were my sentiments exactly about five years ago when I impulsively bought a motorcycle. I found the 'learning' to come very quickly... exactly 1.4 miles from the dealership as a matter of fact (no kidding! ). After a six mile ambulance ride, a 5 day $30,000 'vacation' in the hospital and 140 days in the most sadistic contraption known to man (pictured below) I emerged better than new. I walk with a pronounced limp now, but the prey animals see me as no threat at all and allow me to get very close and my wife is MUCH more comfortable now when we venture into bear or mountain lion country as she's certain she can out run me! So it's all good!

But if you happen to want a barely used 5-year old bike with 1.4 miles on it for... let's say... $50 a month I know where one can be had!!

Congrats on your raise!

Fred

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hey Fred! That's brutal. Glad you're still in one piece... But, as most motorcycle guys would, I've got to hear more about the bike!

In seminary we had a guest speaker that was a former biker, paralyzed from the waist down after an accident. At the end of his talk a guy in the back raised his hand and asked, "How'd the bike come out of it?" The speaker had a good laugh...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

*Gulp* Yeah, that's pretty much what concerns me.

I just noticed you're an Okie, though! I'm not exactly, but I have family there. Glad you're still around.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Illinois has an excellent training program with a LONG waiting list. I've been licensed for 35 years or so, long before this program was started. But everyone I've talked to says the training is very good.

Bikes aren't for everyone, but like I said, they are the ultimate photo accessory. They take you places where you simply wouldn't go otherwise.

My son just got back from Phoenix, AZ and he is going to want his bike back, the ingrate. So now I need to buy my own!
    Glen Barrington
    Cheese Whiz

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred G View Post
    Hi Will!

These were my sentiments exactly about five years ago when I impulsively bought a motorcycle. I found the 'learning' to come very quickly... exactly 1.4 miles from the dealership as a matter of fact (no kidding! ). After a six mile ambulance ride, a 5 day $30,000 'vacation' in the hospital and 140 days in the most sadistic contraption known to man (pictured below) I emerged better than new. I walk with a pronounced limp now, but the prey animals see me as no threat at all and allow me to get very close and my wife is MUCH more comfortable now when we venture into bear or mountain lion country as she's certain she can out run me! So it's all good!

But if you happen to want a barely used 5-year old bike with 1.4 miles on it for... let's say... $50 a month I know where one can be had!!

Congrats on your raise!

Fred

Wow, you must be knowing that I am going for my motorcycle safety course tomorrow and on Sunday. Otherwise why would you post such an image ..

I cannot leave and not ask how did the accident happen and what was your experience at that time? The reason I am asking is that there's a lot of myth out there about motorcycle accidents and fatalities. The number where the biker couldn't really do anything at all to avoid (key word here) an accident is as low as it is with anything threatening your life. The problem is a lot of people buy a bike and go straight riding on busy streets and highways without taking any safety course which a lot of times could be a difference of a life and death.

Good luck with your recovery.

Cheers

Marek

Thanks
    Feedback Score

As a passionate motorcyclist for nearly 20 years, I know oh-too-well the physical consequences of unfortunate events on two wheels. Even with full protective gear, the two crashes I've suffered in my life (both caused by careless motorists) have left me with a limp and greatly reduced manual skills (both wrists badly injured), and I'm only 34... Another crash would maybe mean a full stop to both riding AND shooting (and I'm not even talking about the family I'm trying to build). So I've taken the decision to mothball my helmet, sell the bike and move to a place too flat to give me riding fever (the Alps are waaaay too tempting here!).

This means more money for photo gear, yay!

It also means I'll probably be back on two wheels within 10 years
    Those who got infected with this particular virus know what I'm talking about

If you want to ride, make sure you know how (good training is essential), start with a not-too-powerful bike (40 to 80hp is waaay enough) and ALWAYS wear a full-face helmet, gloves, back protector, biking boots and padded jacket and trousers (leather or cordura nylon). I know it sux when it's warm outside, but even falling at a standstill can hurt really badly. Other than that, it's the most wonderful feeling there is... I miss it!

Now, I'd really like that 30mm f/1.4 Sigma manufactures....
    Check my pseudorandom wanderings on http://undefinedpattern.blogspot.com/ - comments most welcome!